Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Dunn gone this winter?

Is Dunn gone this winter?

Does anyone else get the feeling that Dunn could be gone this offseason? Krivsky's shown that he's more than willing to make a controversial move, and in recent comments he made to some of the ESPN announcers, he bluntly stated that the big guys in the middle of the order (Griffey and Dunn) have not produced like management thought they would. I would not be surprised in the least if Dunn were shipped out in order to bring more important pieces to this club. Now obviously this would drain the offense of a lot of power, and maybe they wait to deal Dunn until Votto, Bruce and other's are ready to come in and offset some of the power loss. I'm not going to go so far as to predict that Dunn will be gone, but I think that Krivsky also realizes that the core of this team is flawed, and I don't think he would hesitate to make a move to bolster other parts of this team significantly. Now I'm not stating one way or another whether I would want Dunn gone, it most certainly depends on who we're talking about trading him for. I just really see Krivsky making major moves this winter, and this just might be one of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Dunn gone this winter?

I think Wayne will attempt to trade Dunn this winter. I just hope he can get a good return for him.

I think Dunn very well could be dangled, but I hope Krivsky realizes that this team is not far from going from a power happy team to a power poor team. Griffey is in steep decline. Dave Ross will likely not hit 20 homers next year. Same with Aurilia. If Dunn is traded, and you have to believe that pitching would be part of the package, I would want a solid corner OF coming back as well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

WK will deal Dunn to the Astros for a young pitcher, Luke Scott, and Burke.

Just a guess.

I would hope they don't. I know Dunn seems one dimensional to many, but I'd hate to let him go and then see Frank Robinson redux (I know they're different types of players).

If you trade Dunn I would hope you have someone besides Denorfia to replace him.

I would think Wayne would look for a relatively cheap outfielder to replace him with. I'm not sure he looks for power though. He'll most likely grab a good defensive outfielder and slide Griffey to a corner with Freel and Deno manning the other side. Either way, I think the offense takes another hit when Dunn leaves.

If the Reds are going to trade him, this off-season is the most likely time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    If the Reds are going to trade him, this off-season is the most likely time.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or this post, but Ricardo, I just realized what your name means. :ughmamoru

And, by the way, I hope :dunn: stays. This team needs his production. Yes he does strike out often, but statistically, how many categories does he lead on this team? I'm not much of a stat-head myself so I don't really keep up on that info, but I would tend to think he leads several.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

If Wayne is able to go blockbuster with FA signings, like say getting Hunter/Wells and a serviceable starter (see Ohka, Tomo), then I wouldn't be opposed to it for a surefire #1. If we can't get Vernon or Torii, it really worries me, because it puts that much more pressure on Jr in the middle of the lineup. If he's responding in a mediocre fashion in the 3 spot, what happens when he's cleanup?

Just to think out loud though, if WK is able to pull off those two FA signings, here's our lineup for next year:

Freel
    Hatteberg
    Wells/Hunter
    Eddie
    Griffey
    B-Phil
    Ross
    new SS (I'd love Alex Gonzalez here)

Griffey in left, Freel in right, maybe switch B-Phil and Hatte when Aurilia's in there.

Starting pitching of Guy we get for Dunn/Harang/Arroyo/Ohka/Milton

I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I don't mind this team. Now if only we can afford it...
    No one expects the butterfly

I think that it would be stupid to deal done when his value right now is at it's lowest point, the possiblity of getting a high line pitcher and a decent replacement for Dunn is unlikely. I think we should tough it out and still try to ride it out with Dunn. Put him on a workout regiment and work on hitting the 0-2 off speed pitch!

I think that it would be stupid to deal Dunn when his value right now is at it's lowest point, the possiblity of getting a high line pitcher and a decent replacement for Dunn is unlikely. I think we should tough it out and still try to ride it out with Dunn. Put him on a workout regiment and work on hitting the 0-2 off speed pitch!

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22 View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or this post, but Ricardo, I just realized what your name means.
    it can be hard to live up to.

And, by the way, I hope :dunn: stays.
    I would agree but the future of this team lies after 2008(when Jr and Dunns contracts expire). If WK makes the assessment that he can't win now then he may well decide to trade Dunn. What troubles me about that is that I'm not sure he will target the players he should be.

What is Vernon Wells' status? If we could trade Dunn and prospect(s) for Wells and a starter prospects I'd be thrilled. Given that Ricarddi is a sabermetrics guy, you have to imagine that he'd value Dunn. Their DH right now is Frank Catalanato and their LF is Reed Johnson. You have to believe that Rios or Johnson could play CF and Dunn could split time in LF and DH. Wells is a very similar player to Torii Hunter, but without quite as much hype. Anyways, just thinking out loud...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    What is Vernon Wells' status?
    Wells is in the 3rd year of a 5 year deal that has him at a reasonable price (4-5 per over the next two). So you'd have him for 2 years before the Yankees get him.

Article in the Toronto Star that JP wants to keep him there after this contract is up: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...d=968332188492
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?