Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Re: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    How many Reds switched positions on the fabled BRM team? We know Rose would move to accomodate getting bats in line-ups. Didn't Doggie come up as a 3b or am I "misremembering" that?

Hasn't Albert Pujols played four spots for St. Louis, without complaint, in his career? (3b, LF, RF, 1b)

Point is, it's not crazy talk to wonder whether this team can make Alonso AND Votto work. At all.
    Just looked it up, Perez played 760 career games at 3b, 1 game at 2b, and 1778 games at 1b.

Pujols: 269 games in LF, 40 games in RF, 96 games at 3b, 906 games at 1b, part of 1 game at 2b, and part of 1 game at SS.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I distinctly remember reading reports that Votto's defense in LF during that short stint was horrible. He was every bit as bad as Dunn according to some of those who watched him.

There will be mistakes made as he learns and relearns the position of LF and learns the Major League Parks, too. But, after a year or two, he should be above average as a Left Fielder. There's no reason for him not to be. He's very athletic.

True or false:

Joey Votto has logged six major league games with the Cincinnati Reds as a LFer.

True

So, you add that to his 41 or so minor league games from 2007 and he's had a good taste of playing Left Field. Some of the work is already done thanks to the REDS' management thinking ahead back then. A full Spring Training in Left Field next year and one year of playing Left Field with forgiveness from the fans as he learns the position, and all should be fine.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-12-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Indeed.

Just tossing out there that this kind of switch is not completely unheard of, nor that far out of, um, left field (so to speak), should the Reds decide to ask Votto to consider it in order to get Alonso's bat into the line-up with Votto and Bruce at some point in 2010 or 2011...

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I distinctly remember reading reports that Votto's defense in LF during that short stint was horrible. He was every bit as bad as Dunn according to some of those who watched him.
    Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus both said the same thing about Votto in their scouting reports on him after the 2007 season: He adapted to left field more quickly than expected, showing average range with a plus arm.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...08/265232.html

Votto turns 27 in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Votto turns 27 in 3 weeks.
    No he doesn't. He'll turn 26 on September 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    No he doesn't. He'll turn 26 on September 10th.

Fantastic! He's younger than I thought.

FTR, I believe Votto can eventually become an average LF'er if he's forced to move there.

First of all, with all this talk of moving Votto to LF and everything, we're right back to underestimating the value of good defense all around the diamond. I would have thought this season would be driving that home. Even though there have been lapses, the improved range in the outfield has been a major factor in the Reds' success this season. Move Votto out there and put Alonso at first and you weaken both the outfield and the infield. No thanks. Defense matters.

Plus ... and I know I'll get blasted for this, but I still think the Reds need a big RIGHT-HANDED bat for the middle of the lineup. With Votto-Bruce-Alonso, they would be incredibly vulnerable to left-handed pitching and three of the four corner positions would be filled--where would the big RH bat go? Third? Sure, in a perfect world.

No, I just can't shake the feeling that Alonso is destined to do most of his damage in another uniform and that his greatest value to the Reds will be as the centerpiece to a major trade. And I'm fine with that. That's why you draft the best player available and sort it out later.

The other option, of course, is to trade Votto if Alonso proves to be a viable alternative, but there would be riots if they did that. And the Reds would be nuts. No, I think Alonso is auditioning for his next employer.

We're not talking about moving Dunn to Left Field.

Votto will never be as bad as Dunn out there.

He'll be alright, well worth the move.

You'll see.

If the offensive production gained offsets the defensive advantage lost then its well worth it. How many would have signed up for some Man-Ram this year (well prior to the suspension) for 1 mil per season? Pretty much everyone, so at some point in the cost structure, its ok to look past defense to the point of getting great offense.

Now, you make some good points about needing a right handed bat. In a perfect world, Votto would go 3rd, w/ Bruce & Alonso at either 4th & 6th or 5th & 6th w/ the right handed bat seperating the 2. EE could be the man (though I have my doubts), Frazier could fill that roll, perhaps soto arrives just as quick, though unlikely and probably not in that roll. Perhaps Phillips sticks around and develops into a better 4th hole hitter than we've seen. The other option is that you package some minor leaguers to go get that right handed bat w/ power that could play 3B or 2B.

And you're also right, that Yonder's greatest assest to the team could be as the centerpiece for a trade for the long term RH solution to stick b/w Votto & Bruce for the next 5 seasons. And if that's the route they go, I'm OK w/ that as I assume many others would be if they got the right RH bat. However, I think the lefty-righty thing is overplayed at times. Votto hits Lefties pretty well, and I think Bruce will eventually as they're both willing to use the whole field. If Yonder develops along that same path, is it any worse than having 3 right handed hitters in a row 3-4-5? Perhaps a little as they'll see less lefties, but in the long run I think they can get away with it.

Stubbs' last 5 games:

PA 18
    BA .556
    OBP .778
    SLG .889
    SB 4

Turn Off Ads?