Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Re: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Scouts will always bring you a guy they think is the next... doesn't mean you take him. The organization was overflowing with quality OF's and had taken one in the first round the previous year. Near major league ready pitching was there for the taking, and they ignored that for a toolsy OF.

How very Bowdian.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am all about paying my scouts to give me a draft board on players they have scouted for the past 5 months and making their suggetions. If that result beared out Drew Stubbs (who you know I was against at the time) then so be it.
    I can't fault scouts for making suggestions, but I fault those that listened to the scouts and determined Drew Stubbs was the best available talent on the board.

I honestly don't know anyone that liked the selection at the time, and doug, I think you're in the minority of people that like the selection now.

We're left with a guy who played 3 years at Texas (IIRC), and is on a HS level time-table. Instead of the normal 2-3 year path for guys that have played 2+ years at the college level, we're left with a 4+ year path. By my math, we're at least 1 year in the hole, and possibly as many as 3.

That kind of retardation of his developmental curve hurts the Reds exponentially, given the fact Stubbs was a Top 10 1st Round Draft Pick.

I must admit that I'm a skeptic when it comes to Stubbs and don't even have him in my personal top 10, but Stubbs does give many reasons to believe. In a chat on Baseball Prospectus, Kevin Goldstien (the Best Prospect writer around these days IMO) responded favorably to a question about Stubbs.

I'm not sure if this is protected content so I'll just paraphrase.

The questioner asked if Stubbs was A) a career minor leaguer, B) a 4th OF for a few years and then fading away C) a solid starter for a few years.

Goldstein's answer? C at minimum. "Could be more than that even."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...php?chatId=431

Seeing all the "experts" list Stubbs in the Reds top 10, with some listing him in the top 100 overall, struck me as draft hangover rating inflation (or something like that), but this specific comment raises my expectations a bit.

I do think Stubbs will come quickly once he seems to figure it out with the bat. If he hits this year (a big if IMO), I could see a climb to AA and maybe AAA before the end of the year.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is protected content so I'll just paraphrase.
    Not protected content. The exact quote:

chrismusillo (cinti): Drew Stubbs: (a) lifetime minor leaguer; (b) 4th OF for a few years and then out of baseball; (c) bona fide starter for a few years

Kevin Goldstein: C -- at the very least. Could be more than that even.
    Pathei mathos...

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Trade him for Juan Pierre!

don't even think it ...
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

People need to realize that Doug is ALWAYS going to give a prospect the benefit of the doubt... even when they haven't really earned it. It's just how he's wired, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    People need to realize that Doug is ALWAYS going to give a prospect the benefit of the doubt... even when they haven't really earned it. It's just how he's wired, apparently.
    Not really. Every prospect is difference, so I can't really give a general response to giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, but I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Absolutely not true. He's a Maloney hater.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Absolutely not true. He's a Maloney hater.
    Not a hater, just not as much of a believer as some lol.

Ain't gotta lie to kick it Doug

Its okay, I've been a believer in him since he was drafted.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

This thread needs to be nominated for the "Thread that will never die" award in our annual awards.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

don't even think it ...
    :

Everyone get their opinions in soon because once the season starts I want no flip flopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Everyone get their opinions in soon because once the season starts I want no flip flopping!
    I think I am on the fence on this one.....

From Jim Callis Espn Chat Today:

Ben (Centerville, OH): Drew Stubbs of the Reds just cracked the BA top 100, how high can he climb if he has a healthy, productive year?

Jim Callis: (2:08 PM ET ) He could soar up the list if he hits. The bat is the only tool anyone questions--he's a Gold Glove CF with at least 20-20 potential. He made some strides after choking up on the bat late last year, and if he were to come out and hit .300 this year, he'd be in the top 25, at least.

Turn Off Ads?