Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Re: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well the #2 overall pick didn't throw a pitch after the first week of June last year because of a shoulder issue, but they claim is was precautionary. He has thrown 2 innings in Rockies ST though.

The #4 overall pick has already had a TJ surgery and missed all of 2007.

Then there Is the 5/6 picks in Brandon Morrow and Andrew Miller who both have some serious control issues, but are both in the major leagues. Morrow is a reliever right now, but was a starter in college. Morrow posted a walk rate above 7.00 in the majors last year over 60 innings. Miller, a key to the Willis and Cabrera trade, posted a 5.58 walk rate last year in 60 innings as well. Both posted WHIPS over 1.65.

Now obviously they are both in the majors, but you can certainly question whether or not they are helping currently. I like Miller a lot in Florida if he can get a real SS and keep his walks down a little more as he is an extreme GB guy.

Now there is the Greg Reynolds having a shoulder issue and then the Brad Lincoln throwing 23 innings of bad baseball in A ball before undergoing TJ surgery and missing all of last year. Then you have the two guys in the majors struggling big time (Miller and Morrow). So I guess thats really your call, but I would certainly call Stubbs a better pick than Brad Lincoln to this point.
    I heard Luke Hochevar was going to be in the pen for the Royals as well, is this true? If it is true then about 50% of the top ten have been disappointments so far. (Hochevar # 63 in BA Top 100, Lincoln did not make BA Top 100, Reynolds #98 by BA , Stubbs, and Rowell didn't make BA Top 100.)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    I heard Luke Hochevar was going to be in the pen for the Royals as well, is this true? If it is true then about 50% of the top ten have been disappointments so far. (Hochevar # 63 in BA Top 100, Lincoln did not make BA Top 100, Reynolds #98 by BA , Stubbs, and Rowell didn't make BA Top 100.)
    Rowell wasn't there, but if you ask me, he should have been. He was younger than some of the 2007 HS draft picks and performed decently well in low A this year while battling injuries all season.

There is a chance that Hochevar is in the Royals pen, but stuff wise he is top of the line. Its just about putting it all together.

Now there is the Greg Reynolds having a shoulder issue and then the Brad Lincoln throwing 23 innings of bad baseball in A ball before undergoing TJ surgery and missing all of last year. Then you have the two guys in the majors struggling big time (Miller and Morrow). So I guess thats really your call, but I would certainly call Stubbs a better pick than Brad Lincoln to this point.
    To this point I would hope that Stubbs has been a better pick than a guy who had TJ surgery and has only pitched 6 games since he was drafted.

The problem is that he isn't that much further ahead of him.

Miller was an outstanding pick for the Tigers, even if he never throws a quality pitch again in his career. They used the value of that high pick to get two established MLB players, one with MVP potential. Stubbs' value was never higher than this past offseason, though it was still very low. A creative package of Stubbs/Homer could/should have been floated, but we never heard any rumors like that.

Drew Stubbs may go on to improve dramatically this year. maybe. or he might just post his 3rd straight sub .800 OPS season. And the value of the Reds #8 pick will just vanish.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Drew Stubbs may go on to improve dramatically this year. maybe. or he might just post his 3rd straight sub .800 OPS season. And the value of the Reds #8 pick will just vanish.

This is definitely his make or break year. No doubt about that.

Miller was an outstanding pick for the Tigers, even if he never throws a quality pitch again in his career. They used the value of that high pick to get two established MLB players, one with MVP potential. Stubbs' value was never higher than this past offseason, though it was still very low. A creative package of Stubbs/Homer could/should have been floated, but we never heard any rumors like that.

You do realize how valuable Drew Stubbs will be if he gives the Reds 6 seasons of .740 OPS and plays gold glove defense in CF don't you?

You do realize that you are talking about Stubbs having the upside of Juan Pierre right?

round and round we go.

Right now his value is nothing near what a 1st round top ten pick SHOULD be. GM's should be calling the Reds saying "so you seem pretty stocked in the OF right now, what would it take to pry Stubbs from you?"

Somehow, I don't think those calls have been made.

You do realize that you are talking about Stubbs having the upside of Juan Pierre right?

round and round we go.

Right now his value is nothing near what a 1st round top ten pick SHOULD be. GM's should be calling the Reds saying "so you seem pretty stocked in the OF right now, what would it take to pry Stubbs from you?"

Somehow, I don't think those calls have been made.
    Juan Pierre upside isn't close to the upside of Drew Stubbs. Juan Pierre has no power to speak of and no ability to draw a walk at all.

I don't think Stubbs is going to have a .740 OPS in the majors (I figure its a lot closer to .800), but my point was that Stubbs could decline as a hitter that he is right now in terms of numbers he puts up in the majors and still be of great value.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

You do realize how valuable Drew Stubbs will be if he gives the Reds 6 seasons of .740 OPS and plays gold glove defense in CF don't you?
    A younger, cheaper Corey Patterson.

I don't think anybody discounts that value. But let's see him OPS over .700 in high A or AA first... He's a long ways from the bigs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Drew Stubbs spring training OPS = 1.000.

Sorry, had to.

Stubbs power is a ? at best. His ability to take a walk thus far hasn't been impressive, just a little above average, certainly not what you expect from a 1st round, top ten pick.

you seem to keep forgetting that part.

Stubbs power is a ? at best. His ability to take a walk thus far hasn't been impressive, just a little above average, certainly not what you expect from a 1st round, top ten pick.

you seem to keep forgetting that part.
    Stubbs has an isolated discipline number of .101. Thats 'a little above average but not what you expect from a 1st round top 10 pick'?

The 2005 and 2006 Top 10 pick hitters had the following isoD numbers in the minors:
    Upton - .086
    Gordon - .102
    Clement - .084
    Braun - .061
    Tulo - .079
    Maybin - .087
    Rowell - .072
    Longoria - .084
    Stubbs - .101

So he is second best behind just Alex Gordon by .001, but well ahead of the guy in third place by .014, but thats just a 'little above average but not what you expect of a top 10 pick' despite being much better than his peers in that category (Gordon excluded)?

Stubbs power isn't really a question mark. Its there when he makes contact. The question is how much it grows.

Stubbs has an isolated discipline number of .101. Thats 'a little above average but not what you expect from a 1st round top 10 pick'?

The 2005 and 2006 Top 10 pick hitters had the following isoD numbers in the minors:
    Upton - .086
    Gordon - .102
    Clement - .084
    Braun - .061
    Tulo - .079
    Maybin - .087
    Rowell - .072
    Longoria - .084
    Stubbs - .101

So he is second best behind just Alex Gordon by .001, but well ahead of the guy in third place by .014, but thats just a 'little above average but not what you expect of a top 10 pick' despite being much better than his peers in that category (Gordon excluded)?

Stubbs power isn't really a question mark. Its there when he makes contact. The question is how much it grows.
    Would you expect Stubbs numbers to be better than most since he came out of college and hasn't played at a top level yet? For example, it might be a little unfair to compare him versus a Maybin who came out of HS and played at higher levels.

I'm not an IsoD pro or anything, so this isn't a loaded question where I know the answer. I just think a Big 12 top 10 pick in Low A should be viewed differently in some aspects than a HS top 10 pick in AA.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Would you expect Stubbs numbers to be better than most since he came out of college and hasn't played at a top level yet? For example, it might be a little unfair to compare him versus a Maybin who came out of HS and played at higher levels.

I'm not an IsoD pro or anything, so this isn't a loaded question where I know the answer. I just think a Big 12 top 10 pick in Low A should be viewed differently in some aspects than a HS top 10 pick in AA.
    That's fair to say, but that wasn't the point. The point was that Stubbs' ability to take a walk is more than merely 'a little above average'. Because the other players are coming from less-advanced backgrounds, I'd say that they should all be happy if the end is result is having an IsoD in the neighborhood of Drew Stubbs'.

Turn Off Ads?