Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post

Plus ... and I know I'll get blasted for this, but I still think the Reds need a big RIGHT-HANDED bat for the middle of the lineup. With Votto-Bruce-Alonso, they would be incredibly vulnerable to left-handed pitching and three of the four corner positions would be filled--where would the big RH bat go? Third? Sure, in a perfect world.
    Votto already hits lefties fine. So now you are talking about 2 guys. Bruce hit lefties plenty in the minor leagues and currently is sporting 5 walks and 5 strikeouts against lefties this year. I don't worry so much about him hitting lefties in the long run either. So now we are just down to Alonso.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stubbs is looking much better at AAA than I expected. He seems to be the sort of player whose raw stats belie the development that is really going on. I'm starting to think we've got another Mike Cameron on our hands here. Really.

(Apologies for stating the obvious. Just wanted to turn this thread back towards the title).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm still worried about Stubbs' power. He's had almost 100 ABs and no HR to speak of (no triples either). Is he still choking up on the bat a lot? He is hitting some doubles, but it's not like Louisville is Petco Park or something. He's hitting though if nothing else. And he is striking out less.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm still worried about Stubbs' power. He's had almost 100 ABs and no HR to speak of (no triples either). Is he still choking up on the bat a lot? He is hitting some doubles, but it's not like Louisville is Petco Park or something. He's hitting though if nothing else. And he is striking out less.
    Wasn't Jeff Bagwell also a "doubles hitter" in the minors? From what everyone else has said on this thread, I'm pretty confident that Stubbs has the potential to at least develop 15-20 HR power in the majors. With plus fielding and OBP from a CF, that's quite a set of skills.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Wasn't Jeff Bagwell also a "doubles hitter" in the minors? From what everyone else has said on this thread, I'm pretty confident that Stubbs has the potential to at least develop 15-20 HR power in the majors. With plus fielding and OBP from a CF, that's quite a set of skills.
    Not sure on Bagwell.

Stubbs could develop that kind of power, but I think it's far from guaranteed. He hasn't really hit for power in the minors much.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, but I don't think Stubbs is planning on doing a truckload of 'roids like Bagwell did.

I'd gladly eat 100 pizzas if Drew Stubbs turns into Jeff Bagwell... Or something like that...

heck, I'll gladly eat 100 pizzas no matter what stubbs does :0

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    heck, I'll gladly eat 100 pizzas no matter what stubbs does :0

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd gladly eat 100 pizzas if Drew Stubbs turns into Jeff Bagwell... Or something like that...
    My point wasn't that Stubbs would turn into Bagwell; it was that sometimes hitters that eventually have HR power don't show that skill at the minor league level. I don't anticipate Stubbs ever putting up 40 HR power, but I do think he has potential to turn some of those doubles into homers as he develops.

Yes, but that was the pre-steroids version of Jeff Bagwell.

Stubbs continues to impress. His numbers are still looking good.

Its a shame hes gonna be blocked for the next year and a half.

Am I the only one that thinks that he wont be given a decent shot until Dusty it out of here? I seriously see them bringing him up and sticking him in left like they did to Dickerson. I cant be the only one that thinks that can I?

Dusty has a thing that small = fast and that fast = good defense.

My point wasn't that Stubbs would turn into Bagwell; it was that sometimes hitters that eventually have HR power don't show that skill at the minor league level. I don't anticipate Stubbs ever putting up 40 HR power, but I do think he has potential to turn some of those doubles into homers as he develops.

Agreed Carlton Fisk by today's standards was utter crap before he hit the Majors. Look how that turned out ?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Its a shame hes gonna be blocked for the next year and a half.

Am I the only one that thinks that he wont be given a decent shot until Dusty it out of here? I seriously see them bringing him up and sticking him in left like they did to Dickerson. I cant be the only one that thinks that can I?

Dusty has a thing that small = fast and that fast = good defense.
    Dusty gets unfairly criticized in this instance. He's played the young guys, often at the expense of the older veterans. He makes certain they're in winnable situations for the most part and tries to keep as much pressure off of them as he can.

If Stubbs is hitting like this in August, he's probably going to start for the big club.

Turn Off Ads?