I still have hope for him because of his plate discipline. I will be interested to see what he does next year when healthy because turf toe is a bugger.
I agree turf toe is more painful than most folks give it credit for. But.... if the turf toe is the reason why he is hitting so poorly, wouldn't it make sense to put him on the DL and let him get healthy instead of putting him out there with a health issue that that is altering/inhibiting his playing ability. It seems to me that he may very well be developing bad habits that could be difficult to fix once the toe is better, bet this year or next. Teams put guys on the DL for less than turf toe and if that is the reason for his poor performance then it must hurt like h*@%.
Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal. ~George Will
Drews Stubbs is to Reds' position prospects as Ty Howington or Chris Gruler is to Reds' pitching prospects.
Drew Stubbs is one of the worst Reds' draft picks in recent memory and will amount to exactly nothing.
Great D, absolutely no stick.
We as Reds fans have yet to see Drew Stubbs hit while being close to healthy since he came to the system. Next year will be the year for Stubbs to prove his worth.
Do those who previously thought he would be a bust still think he will be?
His 2nd half looked a lot better than his first. I was certainly encouraged by that, but it's still too early to tell I guess.
Does anyone have readily available stats on how the draft picks before Stubbs in last year's draft have panned out thus far?
Stubbs' 2007 season:
Pros: Moved up a level, and slightly improved his production over 2006.
He stayed healthy and earned a promotion to High A.
Cons: He did not dominate his level, and displayed the same propensities in his game (high Ks, tendency to offensive slumps, high walks, good power) indicating that improvement over his weaknesses was slight.
Prediction: He will need 2-3 years of continued improvement and good health before we know what we have. I think he has the athletic ability and the leadership to be a really good player. I question his ability to make adjustments.
1) Hochevar: In the show as a Sept call-up. Midseason BA "just missed the top 25 prospect list".
2) Reynolds: Shoulder surgery. Was ripping up AA through 8 starts before the injury.
3) Longoria: Leaving carnage at every level...made it to AAA this year. Midseason BA #4 prospect.
4) Lincoln: TJ surgery this past April
5) Morrow: 56 games with the Mariners this season
6) Miller: Was in between the majors and minors all season
7) Kershaw: Performed very well in Low A and had a late season call up to AA, where he threw pretty well in 5 games. BA midseason #6 prospect.
8) Stubbs: Low A all year.
9) Bill Rowell - .761 OPS in low A (Sally League), though he's only 18
10) Tim Lincecum - Thriving in the majors
11) Max Scherzer - 3.28 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 10.52 K/9, spent most of the season in AA (Southern League)
12) Kasey Kiker - 2.90 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 10.46 K/9, low A (MWL), ege 19
13) Tyler Colvin - .812 OPS splitting time between high A (FSL) and AA (SL)
14) Travis Snider - .902 OPS (MWL), age 19
15) Chris Marrero - .822 OPS between low A (SAL) and high A (CAR)
16) Jeremy Jeffress - 3.13 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 9.90 K/9, low A (SAL), age 19, 50-game suspension for drugs (don't know if it's for recreational or performance-enhancing drugs)
17) Matt Antonelli - .894 OPS in high A (CAL) and AA (TL)
18) Kyle Drabek - 4.33 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 7.67 K/9, low A (SAL), TJ surgery in August, age 19
19) Brett Sinkbeil - 3.42 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 5.58 K/9, high A (FSL)
20) Chris Parmelee - .727 OPS in low A (MWL), age 19
21) Ian Kennedy - 1.91 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 10.03 K/9 in high A, AA and AAA, now starting for New York Yankees during playoff push (1.89 ERA in 3 starts)
The Cincinnati Reds: We Still Exist
The Cincinnati Reds: Unburdened by Expectations
The Cincinnati Reds: We've Got Free Wi-Fi
Jeffress was suspended for recreational drug use, not PED.
Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.