Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    How does he comp with Jacoby Ellsbury in terms of skills, etc?
    Ellsbury is a slap hitter. Stubbs, when healthy is view more as a power hitter. Drew has hit some monster home runs this season, just it has been few and far between (although I, at least, am willing to give him a pass on the season because of his turf toe). Both are very fast, athlete types. Drew plays better defense though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I still have hope for him because of his plate discipline. I will be interested to see what he does next year when healthy because turf toe is a bugger.

Ya can't teach speed...

I agree turf toe is more painful than most folks give it credit for. But.... if the turf toe is the reason why he is hitting so poorly, wouldn't it make sense to put him on the DL and let him get healthy instead of putting him out there with a health issue that that is altering/inhibiting his playing ability. It seems to me that he may very well be developing bad habits that could be difficult to fix once the toe is better, bet this year or next. Teams put guys on the DL for less than turf toe and if that is the reason for his poor performance then it must hurt like h*@%.

Quote Originally Posted by Prf15 View Post
    I still have hope for him because of his plate discipline. I will be interested to see what he does next year when healthy because turf toe is a bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    I agree turf toe is more painful than most folks give it credit for. But.... if the turf toe is the reason why he is hitting so poorly, wouldn't it make sense to put him on the DL and let him get healthy instead of putting him out there with a health issue that that is altering/inhibiting his playing ability. It seems to me that he may very well be developing bad habits that could be difficult to fix once the toe is better, bet this year or next. Teams put guys on the DL for less than turf toe and if that is the reason for his poor performance then it must hurt like h*@%.
    Ive been saying that if the reason he is hitting poorly (and I think that arguement could easily be made) that he should get the surgery done now and get healthy. I however can see the otherside of the arguement that you want to get him as many at bats and see as many pitches as possible during the season if the problem can be taken care of in the offseason. I am with you on the developing bad habits thing though.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Drews Stubbs is to Reds' position prospects as Ty Howington or Chris Gruler is to Reds' pitching prospects.

Drew Stubbs is one of the worst Reds' draft picks in recent memory and will amount to exactly nothing.

Great D, absolutely no stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Drews Stubbs is to Reds' position prospects as Ty Howington or Chris Gruler is to Reds' pitching prospects.

Drew Stubbs is one of the worst Reds' draft picks in recent memory and will amount to exactly nothing.

Glad that you have given up on a player after 400 at bats. I will take my chances on the other side of 'exactly nothing'.

We as Reds fans have yet to see Drew Stubbs hit while being close to healthy since he came to the system. Next year will be the year for Stubbs to prove his worth.

It seems as though his bat is going pretty good right now, you wanna take back the no stick part?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Both of Howington and Gruler were done in by injuries.

Both were premier prospects.

Do those who previously thought he would be a bust still think he will be?

His 2nd half looked a lot better than his first. I was certainly encouraged by that, but it's still too early to tell I guess.

Does anyone have readily available stats on how the draft picks before Stubbs in last year's draft have panned out thus far?

Stubbs' 2007 season:
    Pros: Moved up a level, and slightly improved his production over 2006.
    He stayed healthy and earned a promotion to High A.
    Cons: He did not dominate his level, and displayed the same propensities in his game (high Ks, tendency to offensive slumps, high walks, good power) indicating that improvement over his weaknesses was slight.
    Prediction: He will need 2-3 years of continued improvement and good health before we know what we have. I think he has the athletic ability and the leadership to be a really good player. I question his ability to make adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

His 2nd half looked a lot better than his first. I was certainly encouraged by that, but it's still too early to tell I guess.

Does anyone have readily available stats on how the draft picks before Stubbs in last year's draft have panned out thus far?
    I previously thought he would be a bust, but I have seen him play much better this year. I suppose it all depends on what you mean as a bust. Is he a bust if he fails to make the Reds, or is he a bust if he fails to become a starting outfielder. It really is hard to determine at this point how successful he will be down the line, but he has shown us all this year some hope for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

Quick rundown.

1) Hochevar: In the show as a Sept call-up. Midseason BA "just missed the top 25 prospect list".

2) Reynolds: Shoulder surgery. Was ripping up AA through 8 starts before the injury.

3) Longoria: Leaving carnage at every level...made it to AAA this year. Midseason BA #4 prospect.

4) Lincoln: TJ surgery this past April

5) Morrow: 56 games with the Mariners this season

6) Miller: Was in between the majors and minors all season

7) Kershaw: Performed very well in Low A and had a late season call up to AA, where he threw pretty well in 5 games. BA midseason #6 prospect.

8) Stubbs: Low A all year.

9) Bill Rowell - .761 OPS in low A (Sally League), though he's only 18

10) Tim Lincecum - Thriving in the majors

11) Max Scherzer - 3.28 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 10.52 K/9, spent most of the season in AA (Southern League)

12) Kasey Kiker - 2.90 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 10.46 K/9, low A (MWL), ege 19

13) Tyler Colvin - .812 OPS splitting time between high A (FSL) and AA (SL)

14) Travis Snider - .902 OPS (MWL), age 19

15) Chris Marrero - .822 OPS between low A (SAL) and high A (CAR)

16) Jeremy Jeffress - 3.13 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 9.90 K/9, low A (SAL), age 19, 50-game suspension for drugs (don't know if it's for recreational or performance-enhancing drugs)

17) Matt Antonelli - .894 OPS in high A (CAL) and AA (TL)

18) Kyle Drabek - 4.33 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 7.67 K/9, low A (SAL), TJ surgery in August, age 19

19) Brett Sinkbeil - 3.42 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 5.58 K/9, high A (FSL)

20) Chris Parmelee - .727 OPS in low A (MWL), age 19

21) Ian Kennedy - 1.91 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 10.03 K/9 in high A, AA and AAA, now starting for New York Yankees during playoff push (1.89 ERA in 3 starts)
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Jeffress was suspended for recreational drug use, not PED.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jeffress was suspended for recreational drug use, not PED.
    Doug: I know it's been hashed out many times on the board, but after looking at the list above, would you think Stubbs has been the biggest disappointment on the field so far of the first 22 picks?

Turn Off Ads?