Thread: Game Thread 9-17 - if anyone cares

Re: Game Thread 9-17 - if anyone cares

Eric Milton 2004-2006 ...

Innings: 540
    K/9: 6.23
    BB/9: 2.82
    HR/9: 1.87

DIPS ERA: 5.29

Eric Milton is just a horrible pitcher eating up a wealth of cash, nothing more, nothing less. As a Reds pitcher, he fits right in.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    You were told what the most likely result of that trade would be. Now it's happened. Oopsie.
    I knew the offense would decrease (as shown clearly by Cyclone) due to the trade.

But you can't discount the horrific slumps of Dunn, Ross, Phillips, Hatteburg, EE, Freel, and Jr for sending the offense on a complete vacation.

And those slumps have zero to do with "the trade". Unless "the trade" had some sort of post traumatic stress effect that triggered a collective team slump well after the fact.

In the words of Bob Newhart, these slumps are best termed, "ill timed".
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-17-2006 at 04:51 PM.

That's a direct personal attack. Can you read the board rules?
    Steel - It's been that way all year - we've been subject to abuse the other way. I've been very good at holding my tongue. But to beat the dead horse again and again and again is short-sighted and unproductive. We get the point.

You were told what the most likely result of that trade would be. Now it's happened. Oopsie.
    Yep, oopsie. Wayne Krivsky, in an effort to try to improve a weakness, sold two underperforming major-leaguers with "potential", one who hasn't had a solid major league season since Ray King sat on him and a 2-tool weak fielding shortstop who had a career year the year before, for some type of relief pitching, pitching that has been needed on this club for YEARS. It was effort, and effort that was so badly needed on this club. Two respected members of this board, BrooklynRedZ and TeamClark, both with experience and contacts in the Major Leagues both said that the two players traded from this club had little or no value. We got what we got. It blew up. I was one of 4 or 5 who actually liked the deal. That's my own fault. I was wrong. My bad.

Stop the personal attacks and and start addressing actual points. Oh, and I'm not sure what "we" you're think you're speaking for but be assured that you do not speak for the entirety of the board. Talk baseball or move along because, speaking for myself, I'm far more tired of the constant attacks than I am of anything FCB has posted- regardless of how far over the top it may be. Y'know why? Becuase FCB is posting about baseball rather than playing Redszone hall monitor. Figure it out.
    I know I don't speak for the entirety of the board. I'm a minority around around here. If it wasn;t for the humor or play on words or my enjoyment of baseball history, or just the camadrie of posting during game threads, I'd be the worlds biggest lurker. I have addressed points on countless occasions (with real statistics too!) But, If I am getting called out for personal attacks because I'm responding to people who time and time again show their distaste
    for the current adminstration by using big words for "Wayne Krivsky Sucks", I think there needs to be a two-way street here.

Steel - if you want to PM to discuss this further - please do so.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

What are we doing with DeWayne Wise?

Now hitting .182. OBP also is .182. Zero walks in 22 ABs. 5 Ks, 3 singles, and one double. That is it. Zero RBIs. This guy is hitting 40 points lower than our starting pitcher today, and he is leading off???

I'm all for giving prospects a 'cup of coffee' in September. However, is 28 year old Larry DeWayne Wise a prospect? Why not let 26 year old Chris Denorfia play for some experience hitting Zambrano?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It really doesn't make much difference who the "third" starter is; the point is when buying a fixer-upper to clean out the pile of cow dung from the living room first.
    It was. It was in the form of a firing on the first day of business for Castellini. The amazing thing is that apparently the Brewers liked the smell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I knew the offense would decrease (as shown clearly by Cyclone) due to the trade.

But you can't discount the horrific slumps of Dunn, Ross, Phillips, Hatteburg, EE, Freel, and Jr for sending the offense on a complete vacation.
    change the dynamic of a patient and solid offense and guess what, you don't really know what the actual outcome to be. Is "the trade" completely to blame? No it isn't, but it has a large part in it.

Thanks Steel but I can ignore the personal attacks because it shows the lack of an argument to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I'm all for giving prospects a 'cup of coffee' in September. However, is 28 year old Larry DeWayne Wise a prospect? Why not let 26 year old Chris Denorfia play for some experience hitting Zambrano?
    They apparently still don't think it is Deno's time
    Go Gators!

Reds could use a couple more under-achieveing OFs with 20+ HRs and 80+ RBIs.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Wow...a run

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

And those slumps have zero to do with "the trade".
    Really? You don't think that removing significant OBP, discipline, speed, and extra base power from a team might have a negative result on other players? Before the trade, the offense was far more slump-proof. The presence of players in a lineup (particularly when they can work counts) does have an effect on how other players perform. Because your lineup is a dynamic system, sometimes you lose more than just individual performance when you mess with it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Wow....another run

..And another run...

11-3

And Wise with another of his patented "ground ball to infielder x" closes this one out.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Reds could use a couple more under-achieveing OFs with 20+ HRs and 80+ RBIs.
    Who is at .245/6/31/.776 since the trade. He hit .189 in August and he's hitting less than .250 with RISP.

His slump would fit in quite well with this ballclub.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I am truly amazed how this team went from a surplus of OFs to a serious shortage. And there is no help coming in the minors and no reason to believe Jr will move from CF.

Turn Off Ads?