Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread 9-17 - if anyone cares

Re: Game Thread 9-17 - if anyone cares

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Milton's still here; for that alone Wayne should be run out of town on a rail.
    Oh please he has been fine this year. Nothing amazing, but a solid 4th starter.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

11-0

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Oh please he has been fine this year. Nothing amazing, but a solid 4th starter.
    Eric Milton circa 2006 only looks "fine" in comparison versus Eric Milton circa 2005.

Eric Milton came into today's game as one of only four NL ERA title qualifiers who possessed a DIPS rate of 5.00 or higher. And he most likely just made that worse today. The guy was the worst pitcher in the NL last season and is one of less than a handful of the worst pitchers in the NL this season.

That's...not...fine.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    No no WOY, it's totally reasonable to expect total perfection and that 15+ years of franchise abuse would be undone in 8 months.
    Funny how this team is no better on September 17th than they were on February 8th.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Eric Milton circa 2006 only looks "fine" in comparison versus Eric Milton circa 2005.

Eric Milton came into today's game as one of only four NL ERA title qualifiers who possessed a DIPS rate of 5.00 or higher. And he most likely just made that worse today. The guy was the worst pitcher in the NL last season and is one of less than a handful of the worst pitchers in the NL this season.

That's...not...fine.
    Yup.

Worst pitcher in the NL last season. Keep re-reading that over and over again and maybe, just maybe some on here will understand just why he's still on this roster. For those blaming Krivsky for Milton still wearing red, please tell me how you would have rid that albatross without eating the contract.

Funny how this team is no better on September 17th than they were on February 8th.
    So you agree that 8 months can't correct (and I'll give them the past 6 years instead of the past 15 years that Abner says) a longer previous ineptitude by previous ownership and management?
    Last edited by Heath; 09-17-2006 at 04:29 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    please tell me how you would have rid that albatross without eating the contract.
    I've said this till I was blue in the face: DFA, or palm him off on a team willing to take on even a sliver of his contract. Either way, he's getting paid by the Reds--might as well pay him NOT to hurt the Reds.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    So you agree that 8 months can't correct (and I'll give them 6 years instead of 15 years) a longer previous ineptitude by previous ownership and management?
    6 years?

This team will be located in San Jose if they don't put up a winner by that time.

There are some putrid standards on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the future stinks and this GM blew off his own foot by drafting Stubbs and the trade of Kearns/Lopez for nothing in return. This team didn't really move forward in any appreciable way unless a number of career seasons are actually new levels of performance(which is highly unlikely).
    The future's been bad since 2001 - and you expect one miraculous turnaround in a season. You are a prentious myopic fan.

You still only bring up one trade. A trade that involved two players that have not performed to even career average levels who you think should garner major trade stuff in return, when it was said that time after time that on the open market (also confirmed by two posters who have major league contacts) that neither one had much trade value.

We appreciate your candor and whining and moaning. We get it. When you want to discuss something new, please do so.

I've said this till I was blue in the face: DFA, or palm him off on a team willing to take on even a sliver of his contract. Either way, he's getting paid by the Reds--might as well pay him NOT to hurt the Reds.
    And our third starter would have been who? And don't tell me anybody's better than Milton, not after some of the stiffs I've seen out there this year.

Signing Milton was a bad move, we're stuck with him, the organization handled him as well as they could under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    Yup.

Worst pitcher in the NL last season. Keep re-reading that over and over again and maybe, just maybe some on here will understand just why he's still on this roster. For those blaming Krivsky for Milton still wearing red, please tell me how you would have rid that albatross without eating the contract.
    Well, it's not not necessarily easy, but Texas was able to move Chan Ho Park. That doesn't mean that part (or most) of Milton's contract wouldn't be paid by the Reds (unless they took on a near-equally bloated contract). But when you've got a player who's already a sunk cost, that doesn't mean he's also necessarily an immovable object.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    And our third starter would have been who? And don't tell me anybody's better than Milton, not after some of the stiffs I've seen out there this year.

Signing Milton was a bad move, we're stuck with him, the organization handled him as well as they could under the circumstances.
    It really doesn't make much difference who the "third" starter is; the point is when buying a fixer-upper to clean out the pile of cow dung from the living room first.

6 years?

This team will be located in San Jose if they don't put up a winner by that time.

There are some putrid standards on this board.
    I edited my previous comment.

Do I want the Reds to suck all the time? No.

Did I expect the Reds to be a couple of games under .500 on September 15th, with a Wild Card Lead on August 29th? No.

Do I throw Wayne Krvisky under the bus because I have extra-sensory perception that he's going to suck as a GM because of his first 6 months on the job? - No.

I just don't get how people can think they have the "answers" (who have no previous GM or baseball experience) yet two posters on this board get drilled who have baseball contacts or experience because the answers aren't the ones you want.

Give Wayne Krivsky a break for crying out loud.

BTW - I'm willing to be patient. This isn't the NFL where you can yo-yo from good-to-bad-back-to-good in the span of making microwave popcorn.

While they certinally have played like crap the past few weeks they are a far sight ahead of being in dead last are they not? That's where they were picked to be back before the season. Not sure how that isn't an improvement.

So yea, I'd say we're a lot better off than where we were on 2.8.

Lots of problem areas and needs to fill, no doubt about that, but not the last place dreck the experts projected us to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The future's been bad since 2001 - and you expect one miraculous turnaround in a season. You are a prentious myopic fan.
    That's a direct personal attack. Can you read the board rules?

You still only bring up one trade. A trade that involved two players that have not performed to even career average levels who you think should garner major trade stuff in return, when it was said that time after time that on the open market (also confirmed by two posters who have major league contacts) that neither one had much trade value.
    You were told what the most likely result of that trade would be. Now it's happened. Oopsie.

We appreciate your candor and whining and moaning. We get it. When you want to discuss something new, please do so.
    Stop the personal attacks and and start addressing actual points. Oh, and I'm not sure what "we" you're think you're speaking for but be assured that you do not speak for the entirety of the board. Talk baseball or move along because, speaking for myself, I'm far more tired of the constant attacks than I am of anything FCB has posted- regardless of how far over the top it may be. Y'know why? Becuase FCB is posting about baseball rather than playing Redszone hall monitor. Figure it out.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?