Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Does today's game officially signal us being done?

Does today's game officially signal us being done?

I apologize in advanced because I know others have stated it before. However, I have (even when others have not) tried to remain optimistic. I was semi pessimistic after the Padres series was dropped, but thought a sweep or even a 2 out of 3 from the Cubs would make the situation seem hopeful, but even that was too much to ask. When you lose back to back series' this late in the season and 1 to the worst team in our division, you can't expect to go into October. It's no longer to the point where you can continue to say, "Well, if they win this next series, they'll be right back in it".

I know they are not "mathematically" eliminated, but clearly, they just don't want it bad enough to move on. You can also say all the stuff about this team "overachieving" and that sort of thing, but you look past all that stuff when they're in the thick of the race. A bummer that they couldn't string together some more wins that despite weaknesses, could've been attainable.

Better luck next year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does today's game officially signal us being done?

The saddest thing is not that the fans have given up on the season..but that many of the players have given up. they go up to bat, make their outs and drag their bat back to the dugout. It is really sickening.

Sounds like we need BobC screaming like the Marlins owner.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

We were done after game 3o fo the Padres series on Thursday.

This team was so much Fun to watch earlier in the year. They all played with fire, but for the past several weeks, even before the west coast trip, they have played like a bunch of wussies. They seem to not care, with the exception of Rich, Aroya and EE the others just gave up it seems. I am so tired of seeing Dunn make out after out and act like he could care less I am ready to see him go. I have always liked Dunn, but the past few weeks he just looks like he could care less. NO EMOTION at all from him. I hope Narron gets the boot as well, some of his moves have just been jaw dropping. Like his lineup against the pades in game 2 of probl the biggest series to date. And is Love affair with Ryan Franklin just baffles the crap out of me. I will not give up hope until the numbers tell me to, but watching todays game made me say words that will send me to the fires below :-(. They have QUIT and for major leauge ball players to play this way is just unacceptable. And for the Manager to allow it is even more unacceptable.

The sad thing is, the Reds made strides with their fans and community, this year, but when you look at it at year's end, what do we have to be excited about? Our rotation is still awful, and our bullpen is terrible. We still have an overpaid and overvalued Ken Griffey, and Adam Dunn is probably only going to get worse now that people know he can only hit fastballs. We do not have a shortstop of the future, and no major league ready prospects to speak of. Our team is one of the oldest in baseball, and this offseason will be important to re-tool our major league club with real players. Long term our farm system looks promising, but for next year our team looks like there is no real bright line ahead. I hope as a fan that we make a splash in free agency and don't make some mistakes like the Eric Milton one a couple of years ago. We need a solid #1-2 starter, closer, Center Fielder, Shortstop/Second Baseman, and we need to unload LaRue, Milton, and Griffey's contracts. I think that we should look at moving Dunn, but only if we can get major league talent in return. I hope Wayne really does know what he is doing!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I received the signal a week and a half ago. It was low frequency,Kenneth.

Still, I haven't missed a single game (until today when I was at PBS watching my Browns get a beatdown). I just went from hopeful playoff fan to my normal baseball obsessed self.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I apologize in advanced because I know others have stated it before. However, I have (even when others have not) tried to remain optimistic. I was semi pessimistic after the Padres series was dropped, but thought a sweep or even a 2 out of 3 from the Cubs would make the situation seem hopeful, but even that was too much to ask. When you lose back to back series' this late in the season and 1 to the worst team in our division, you can't expect to go into October. It's no longer to the point where you can continue to say, "Well, if they win this next series, they'll be right back in it".

I know they are not "mathematically" eliminated, but clearly, they just don't want it bad enough to move on. You can also say all the stuff about this team "overachieving" and that sort of thing, but you look past all that stuff when they're in the thick of the race. A bummer that they couldn't string together some more wins that despite weaknesses, could've been attainable.

Better luck next year?
    Are we mathematically out? no, so there for I say we stick with our Reds and who knows, the impossibe could happen...
    Let's make some noise!

I don't care if they are done or not.....I found this a very enjoyable year. The Reds made some serious steps forward (I think) and 2007 seems like a good thing to look forward to.

The Reds found two very good pitchers and I look forward to seeing Homer join them in 2007. Hopefully Castellini will step up for signing at least one more SP.

Maybe somebody will be silly enough to take LaRue off the Reds hands.

time to...

1. play some youngsters, see what they can do & give them a taste of the big leagues.

2. play LaRue. If he does well it could help us trade him this winter. If he stinks like he has all year we haven't lost anything.

- Will

The depressing part of the year is from the time it becomes obvious the team won't make the postseason till the end of the Series, when Hot Stove talk starts in ernest and hopes rise again.

For me, this began after the West Coast trip (sorry; it just seemed obvious at that point), but this period will still last a shorter time than it has in years.

And I am reminded of last year, when the depths of O'Brien's cluelessness became known and extended this period into February.

So yes, I'm upbeat.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?