Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who Would You Rather Trade This Offseason?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dunn, He can bring more in return

44 43.14%
  • Griffey, Jr. He needs to be a DH and the Reds need payroll flex

58 56.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Would You Rather Trade?

Who Would You Rather Trade?

Who would you rather trade this offseason to improve the club?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Would You Rather Trade?

Both.

I'd rather trade JR. for sure. I would hold onto Dunn for one more year or wait until his value goes up. It has to be pretty low for someone of his caliber right now. At $10.5 million next year, he's still a good value. After that, not so much.

That being said, I'd be shocked if JR. was traded even though he'd make a pretty good DH for the remaining years he plays. The Reds would have to eat alot of his salary. Unfortunately, I believe the Reds will never be a playoff team with JR. on the team. Maybe he'll retire early, but I doubt it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

It depends upon who the Reds would receive in return. With all respect, polls regarding who to trade mean little to me unless I know who the trade is being made for. I do not subscribe to the Paul Daugherty theory of trade him and "hope" you get "value."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Griffey

has little trade value & 10/5 rights

I do not subscribe to the Paul Daugherty theory of trade him and "hope" you get "value."
    Do you subscribe to the theory that Griffey will use his 5-10 rights to level a deal that would be to his benifit, and thus weaken the Reds position to trade him?

I do.

I also subscribe to the theory that a 27 year old Dunn producing in the neighborhood of his last 3 seasons can't be replaced by some mystery player.

So I say, good luck with Griffey, no on Dunn.

Re: Griffey

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    has little trade value & 10/5 rights
    I wouldn't get caught up in either. He would certainly allow a trade to a few select teams and getting someone to pay 4/5 of his salary is enough value. Save us/or spend $9-10 mil next year. That is value. And I'm sure we could get 1 player atleast that is a decent prospect.

The only way I see Junior agreeing to a trade to a AL team is one that is a contender and trains in Florida. That would make the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers and possibly the Blue Jays as contenders.

If the rumors are true that the Red Sox are looking to pursue Atlanta's Andrew Jones, they would probably not have that much interest in Junior. The Yankees might especially if Bernie Williams retires and the Yankees play Giambi at lst base more than as a DH.

But the best fit for Junior might be the Tigers where he can be their DH and give the young kid Curtis Granderson an occasional break in centerfield.

If the Reds were willing to pay the remaining defered portion of Junior's contract, the Tigers might look at 6.5 million as a reasonable price to acquire Junior. And if the Reds get a young pitcher for the starting rotation like RHP Zach Minier, it bolsters the rotation while giving them some payroll flex.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    It depends upon who the Reds would receive in return. With all respect, polls regarding who to trade mean little to me unless I know who the trade is being made for. I do not subscribe to the Paul Daugherty theory of trade him and "hope" you get "value."
    My thoughts exactly.

If the Reds keep Dunn, they really need to try and surround him in the offense with the right mix of players. Although I once thought differently, I just don't think he is the type of player that is ever going to put the team on his back and carry them. He certainly has his strong points and is a very valuable player, and I hope they can keep him and build a winner. It's going to take something different than what they have to make this offense tick on a regular basis.

how about griffey for cameron

I'd trade Jr. no question if I could get some return. I just don't see any possible trades out there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

getting rid of him for nothing is addition by subtraction

I don't trade Dunn because you can't possibly get enough value.

Griffey probably can't traded for a number of reasons. The best possibility would be if he wants to go back to Seattle as a DH to hit #600.

Not bloody likely!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Who would you rather trade this offseason to improve the club?

I just can’t see the Reds obtaining anything significant in return by trading any of the players that they currently have. Clearly I can be wrong but, I just don’t see any GM trading them outstanding players in return to meet the pitching or hitting needs.

I prefer that the Reds unload the players under contract with the highest salaries to give them more discretionary funds in which to possibly buy the services of upgrades where they need it most.

If Dunn is traded (and I'm not opposed to a trade for the right return), where will the Reds offense come from next season? Other than EE, most of the Reds hitters are either too old or too injury prone, or likely just flashes in the pan, to be counted on for much.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?