Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunn wants to finish strong

Dunn wants to finish strong

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

From Reds.com:

CHICAGO -- Obviously, Reds left fielder Adam Dunn doesn't want to end his season scuffling at the plate.
    Following an 0-for-3 game in Saturday's 4-0 loss to the Cubs, Dunn was hitless in his last 13 at-bats and batting .171 since Aug. 1. That included a .206 mark (7-for-34) with runners in scoring position.

"I definitely want to finish on a high note," Dunn said before Saturday's game. He is batting .237 with 40 home runs and 91 RBIs overall.

Wrigley Field would be a likely spot for Dunn to snap out of it. He has hit 17 home runs at the ballpark since 2001, the most by a Cubs opponent. But the 26-year-old felt it would take more than a favorable stadium for him to improve.

"There are a lot of things I'm doing wrong that are contributing to why I stink," Dunn said.

One issue bothering the lefty swinging Dunn has been getting out in front with his right foot instead of staying back on the ball.

"I've watched lots of tape, go to the cage and hit a lot," Dunn said. "I've just gotten into a bad habit and I need to get out of it. If I stay back, I'll be fine."
    Looks like he is trying hard to break out of it.

Is he truly lazy?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn wants to finish strong

I bet he is lying. All he really does is eat and play golf.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I bet he is lying. All he really does is eat and play golf.
    don't forget the video games and fishing

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Dunn comes to ballpark ready to play
    Hal McCoy / DaytonDailyNews

Question: I never read about Adam Dunn taking extra hitting or fielding, nor does he show up early for spring training in top physical condition. Does that mean he is content to be a mediocre player, or has the ghost of Barry Larkin infiltrated the Reds clubhouse? — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek

Answer: I heard you were a remedial reader. It often has been written that Dunn takes early batting practice, but you have to pick up a newspaper to read it. Out of shape? The guy is 6-foot-6, 275 pounds and has no fat on his body. I've heard some talk-show geeks say the same thing. Tell it to his face, but wear a football helmet when you do it. Why don't you give it a rest on Larkin. The guy was in better shape at 40 than most guys at 20. And even though he knew there was a chance young players might take his job, he always helped young infielders. And nobody took his job away.

Q: If Adam Dunn didn't know that Jake Peavy was pitching when Dunn showed up at the clubhouse that day, as you wrote, doesn't that indicate that Dunn does not prepare very well? — Jack, Fairborn

A: He asked that very early in the afternoon. The Reds play a video of that day's opposing pitcher on the clubhouse televisions, and I have often spotted Dunn watching them, more so than most playersHow else can you prepare — dream about the opposing pitcher the night before? . (With Peavy it would be a nightmare for the Reds.) If you can't prepare for a pitcher in five hours before a game, which is when most players arrive at the park, you'd be better off staying home, which might be a good idea for the Reds when Peavy pitches.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...askhalweb.html
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

if he gets his 100 rbis

his trade value will be higher

Out of shape? The guy is 6-foot-6, 275 pounds and has no fat on his body.
    See, I can't take anything else in Hal's answers seriously after this. No fat??? We get it Hal. You like Adam. He's a good old boy who likes fishin' and huntin' ... but please don't try to tell me he "has no fat on his body."

Speaking of finishing, Junior has only accumulated 7.4% of his total Reds at bats in the month of September, Dunn on the other hand has played more games in the past 3 years than every player in the National League.

For a Level Playing Field

See! See! This proves it. DUNN IS LAZY! Using the same rationale as I read on here sometimes, it is obvious with this latest statement.

"I definitely want to finish on a high note." Good lord... a very lazy way of talking.

High note? Two 4-letter words... how lazy. He could have been less lazy and used one longer word or a combo of longer words. Verbal laziness is not acceptable. How about: mighty note (6 letters & 4 letters), convincing fashion (two words, 10 & 7 letters), vigorously (10 letters).

Finish? How about "carry through"... or even "conclude".

Don't blame me... blame Dunn for this obvious display of verbal laziness.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    See, I can't take anything else in Hal's answers seriously after this. No fat??? We get it Hal. You like Adam. He's a good old boy who likes fishin' and huntin' ... but please don't try to tell me he "has no fat on his body."
    I read that article and the one today. Whew! I didn't even know where to start. So I just sit here quiet. It doesn't matter anymore. There are two camps and you just have to pick one.... Sad.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I read that article and the one today. Whew! I didn't even know where to start. So I just sit here quiet. It doesn't matter anymore. There are two camps and you just have to pick one.... Sad.
    As an experienced major league employee of a front office, who understands advance scouting and statistical analysis of major league baseball players, here are two questions.

What camp do you belong to, TC?

How would other major league teams view Adam Dunn?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    See! See! This proves it. DUNN IS LAZY! Using the same rationale as I read on here sometimes, it is obvious with this latest statement.

"I definitely want to finish on a high note." Good lord... a very lazy way of talking.

High note? Two 4-letter words... how lazy. He could have been less lazy and used one longer word or a combo of longer words. Verbal laziness is not acceptable. How about: mighty note (6 letters & 4 letters), convincing fashion (two words, 10 & 7 letters), vigorously (10 letters).

Finish? How about "carry through"... or even "conclude".

Don't blame me... blame Dunn for this obvious display of verbal laziness.
    Come on, Red Fan Always! When has the average baseball player been known for a great command of the English language? After playing all out for a game and getting peppered with questions from media who earn their living with language, Dunn is probably just getting his message across with the most economy he can.

And you criticize him for using two four-letter words to express himself? To quote you, "Good lord."

This is a nice tidbit, but I'm guessing you could ask 30 guys how they'd like to finish the season, and 30 guys would say they wanted to finish the same way Dunn does.

This story (and I use that term uselessly) "defends" the notion that Dunn is a hard worker as much as the "extra BP wouldn't help" quote "proved" he is lazy.

Both sides of this argument read way, way too far into these empty generic quotes.

Thinking Dunn doesn't mind losing is dumb. But going out of your way to prove these people wrong is even dumber.

Can we create a third side to this infamous Dunn argument? It'll be the side that thinks both the other sides are nuts for wasting their time.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He couldn't finish much weaker than he's been...

A little late for that, unfortunately.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    As an experienced major league employee of a front office, who understands advance scouting and statistical analysis of major league baseball players, here are two questions.

What camp do you belong to, TC?

How would other major league teams view Adam Dunn?
    I have been pretty hard on Adam as I have a relationship with him that I doubt that anyone on this board also has. I know a lot of the "truths" and myths.

I think the entire sitaution with Dunn boils down to expectations. What I would view as "working hard" and what Adam views as "working hard" are ENTIRELY 2 different things. I've spoken with Adam about this and everything is just a laugh and a joke. Alrighty then.

What I find most amazing is this. The Reds get into Adam's butt. Not only for his play but for a few other things. He responds. He coincidentally has a great July which he also had last year. He makes adjustments in his swing, pays attention to othe players AB's, watches video, shows up EARLY, NOT 3:55 but 2:00 for hitting, etc. etc.. Adam goes on a tear. Hits the ball up the middle, the other way....basically where it is pitched. Two things happen. 1) Adam isn't hitting Home Runs. Makes Adam Sad because he is a HR hitter. Even though he repeats some of Chambliss' lines in the paper, Adam misses pulling the ball into the River 2) Every team the Reds play has Advance scouts. They see Adam's new adjustments, do their homework and sprinkle smart dust on their pitchers. Adam does not make any further adjustments. Oh well, hitting is just too damn hard. Maybe I should go back to trying to use my Driver on this hole.

I love Adam. One of the GREATEST people you would ever meet. EVER. Unfortunately he has absolutely no idea what it takes to SUSTAIN that top level of success in this game. July should not be an aberration. Having said that he still hits 40 Bombs and is near 100 RBI again. Not bad at all. His numbers could be through the atmosphere. I just personally do not think he really "WANTS" that. I think he is pretty content. I can't say that I 100% blame him. He's not garbage. He's making plenty of $$$ and he's got some good power numbers. Like I said earlier. Everyone, including me, has much higher expectations of Adam.

I know of some other teams opinions. They are as divided as this board to be honest. I think he would be a great DH and could flourish where he was just "one of the guys". In Cincy he is a main ingredient and I think that wears on him.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 09-18-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?