Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunn wants to finish strong

Re: Dunn wants to finish strong

I take the side that believes a whole lot of people on this board are petty and flat out mean. Some of the comments made about players are just ridiculous... especially about human beings that most don't even know personally.

I don't even know what the one about using two four letter words means! At first, I thought the poster was being sarcastic... but now I don't think so. It's just gibberish and actually, quite condecending, as if Dunn is stupid.

PS - I now know it was sarcasm... should have stuck with my first thought, just like those pesky exams in college. Sorry I was misled.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 09-18-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I think the entire sitaution with Dunn boils down to expectations. What I would view as "working hard" and what Adam views as "working hard" are ENTIRELY 2 different things. I've spoken with Adam about this and everything is just a laugh and a joke. Alrighty then.
    I'm curious: in exactly what capacity were you speaking to Dunn when everything was a laugh and a joke? I mean no offense, but if someone tried to critique my job performance that isn't really in a capacity to do that, I'd probably laugh it off too. I reckon most people, especially tough Texans, wouldn't take the advice too seriously.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEA View Post
    I'm curious: in exactly what capacity were you speaking to Dunn when everything was a laugh and a joke? I mean no offense, but if someone tried to critique my job performance that isn't really in a capacity to do that, I'd probably laugh it off too. I reckon most people, especially tough Texans, wouldn't take the advice too seriously.
    I've know Adam for a little over 5 years now. Maybe I can get him on my show and I will talk to him about this. Then you will see what I mean.

As far as context. That's pretty hard to put into writing on a message board. IMO

Baseball Players playfully and sometimes not so playfully rag on one another. Every so often someone will use some of that humor to dissarm a guy to talk to him about his game, habits, etc... That is probably the best way I can explain it. Probably not the complete answer you are looking for but that's what I have until I can possibly get him on the show.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

If Adam's work "ethic" is in question, I'd rather have an 80% Dunn than 100% someone else.

I'd even go Steve Austin and combine an 80% Dunn with an 120% Freel.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    Come on, Red Fan Always! When has the average baseball player been known for a great command of the English language? After playing all out for a game and getting peppered with questions from media who earn their living with language, Dunn is probably just getting his message across with the most economy he can.

And you criticize him for using two four-letter words to express himself? To quote you, "Good lord."
    Eric... I thought the sarcasm was obvious. I apologize if it was not. Total sarcasm and nothing else. I am in the Dunn camp!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    If Adam's work "ethic" is in question, I'd rather have an 80% Dunn than 100% someone else.

I would agree with that.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I take the side that believes a whole lot of people on this board are petty and flat out mean. Some of the comments made about players are just ridiculous... especially about human beings that most don't even know personally.

I don't even know what the one about using two four letter words means! At first, I thought the poster was being sarcastic... but now I don't think so. It's just gibberish and actually, quite condecending, as if Dunn is stupid.

Okay... I guess I have to be more careful. YES, I was being sarcastic. It was all a reference to people who call Adam Dunn lazy for ridiculous things like not running a Carl Lewis 100-yard-dash for obvious doubles in the LF corner.

Just laugh and I'll promise to use more smilies so the sarcasm is more obvious. Sorry to not make this clear!
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 09-18-2006 at 09:38 PM.

RFA, I added a PS to my post regarding this.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

RFA, I added a PS to my post regarding this.
    Thanks, TB! MY smartleckness (sp?) gets out of control sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I wonder how many of us on this board would get away with 80% effort/results at our respective jobs? When you lead the league in strikeouts and you're batting .239 AND you're a terrible fielder, 80% is not good enough. He will always hit those homers but meanwhile the AVG continues going down for the second straight season and so does the OBP and SLG. He's still terrible defensively. But people still adore the guy because of those homers. So be it. But he's still fat, lazy and doesn't care. Now let me put on my helmet and wait for the negs.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I wonder how many of us on this board would get away with 80% effort/results at our respective jobs? When you lead the league in strikeouts and you're batting .239 AND you're a terrible fielder, 80% is not good enough. He will always hit those homers but meanwhile the AVG continues going down for the second straight season and so does the OBP and SLG. He's still terrible defensively. But people still adore the guy because of those homers. So be it. But he's still fat, lazy and doesn't care. Now let me put on my helmet and wait for the negs.
    You know, I've about had it with all those who keep harping that Adam Dunn is a terrible fielder. He's far from the best, but he's also far from the worst, especially during the second half of the season.

And I highly believe there's not a player on the Reds team that doesn't care, Dunn included. That's another one that's getting old.... just like the fat part. Just because the team is floundering right now, it's not synonomous with "doesn't care".

And there's lots to love about Adam Dunn's game besides the homeruns... you just aren't paying attention.

I won't neg you because I don't do that, but if I did... I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 09-19-2006 at 10:10 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

You know, I've about had it with all those who keep harping that Adam Dunn is a terrible fielder. He's far from the best, but he's also far from the worst, especially during the second half of the season.
    I think an outfield of Manny Ramierez, Adam Dunn, and Wily Mo Pena would be painful to watch....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I think an outfield of Manny Ramierez, Adam Dunn, and Wily Mo Pena would be painful to watch....

I don't think you have to worry about that.

Regardless, his fielding has improved a lot during the second half.

And I highly believe there's not a player on the Reds team that doesn't care, Dunn included. That's another one that's getting old.... just like the fat part. Just because the team is floundering right now, it's not synonomous with "doesn't care".

And there's lots to love about Adam Dunn's game besides the homeruns... you just aren't paying attention.

I won't neg you because I don't do that, but if I did... I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    I appreciate you not negging me even though you want to. There are two things I forgot that also have gone down since last year. Fielding percentage and range factor. From .981 to .961 and from 2.08 to 1.98. Really I think I can explain his iffy improvement defensively. Someone on the coaching staff must have told him that when something is hit towards him to pretend it's a giant meatball.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I appreciate you not negging me even though you want to. There are two things I forgot that also have gone down since last year. Fielding percentage and range factor. From .981 to .961 and from 2.08 to 1.98. Really I think I can explain his iffy improvement defensively. Someone on the coaching staff must have told him that when something is hit towards him to pretend it's a giant meatball.
    Yes LF defense... soooooooooooooooooo important isn't it?

Turn Off Ads?