worst trade ever with astros

how about this acumen

Joaquin Andujar for Luis Sanchez and some other guy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: worst trade ever with astros

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    how about this acumen

Joaquin Andujar for Luis Sanchez and some other guy
    That other guy was the immortal Carlos Alfonso.

Sheesh. How could you forget???
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

You mean the Reds had Andujar? Owwie.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    You mean the Reds had Andujar? Owwie.
    Drafted in '69 - bounced around - temper was an issue. (so I've read/told).

IIRC--and the brain's not real sharp as it used to be - He got into it with Vern Rapp at Indy - and he didn't have much control - Nuke LaLoosh-like.

Howsam pawned him off - and it "clicked".

Andujar used to always love pitching against the Reds. He always seemed to do well, and let the Reds know they made a mistake.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

they thought it was more exigent to kepp Santo Alcala instead

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    they thought it was more exigent to kepp Santo Alcala instead
    On some level they always take the Motolla.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Drafted in '69 - bounced around - temper was an issue. (so I've read/told).

IIRC--and the brain's not real sharp as it used to be - He got into it with Vern Rapp at Indy - and he didn't have much control - Nuke LaLoosh-like.

Howsam pawned him off - and it "clicked".

Andujar used to always love pitching against the Reds. He always seemed to do well, and let the Reds know they made a mistake.
    I have always heard that the Reds front office didnt want to have two hot headed Dominicans on the team and had to decide between Andujar and Soto, if that was the case I say they made a good choice. Maybe I dreamed this but I thought that I have heard it through the years.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I have always heard that the Reds front office didnt want to have two hot headed Dominicans on the team and had to decide between Andujar and Soto, .
    I think I remember hearing that as well. Nice little bit of racism sprinkled in. (Not laughing at racism, but at the Reds)

Andujar wasn't 100% "with it", but he had talent.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

talent was not important to the hierarchy, fitting in with the demographic was the key

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

From wikipedia and something that a lot of us "older types" probably remember:

In 1985, Andújar went 21-12 and made his fourth All-Star team as the Cardinals returned to the World Series. The World Series against the Kansas City Royals was a disaster for Andújar. He started and lost Game 3; manager Whitey Herzog said the umpires gave Saberhagen a wide strike zone and squeezed Andjuar. In game 7, with the Cardinals losing 11-0, Herzog brought in Andujar to mop up. Umpire Don Denkinger called the first pitch a ball even though it was a perfect strike. Whitey Herzog exploded and was ejected. Andujar was ejected after the next pitch by umpire Don Denkinger, who misread a gesture by Joaquin Andujar to his catcher. Some believe that Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog purposely sent the volatile Andújar to the mound as payback for Don Denkinger's infamous call in Game 6. Before getting ejected by Denkinger in Game 7, Herzog said to Denkinger, "We wouldn't even be here if you hadn't missed the ****ing call last night!" However, Herzog has often stated Andújar was his only pitcher that still had any life left in his arm. Andújar was so furious that after Game 7, he took a baseball bat and smashed a toilet in the Cardinals' clubhouse in Kansas City's Royals Stadium.

Cardinal ownership demanded Andujar be traded after the Series, and the Cardinals traded him to Oakland. Before he could play for Oakland, he was suspended 10 games (reduced to 5) for the World Series altercation with Denkinger. He and six other players were suspended for the 1986 season for admitting during the Pittsburgh drug trials that they had abused cocaine. The suspensions were reduced to anti-drug donations and community service.

I used to think the guy was crazy! I'll never forget his blowup in game 7 of the 1985 Series. I just sat there and couldn't believe that someone could act like that in the World Series and not be ashamed.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?