Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread 9/18/06 Houston We Have...

Re: Game Thread 9/18/06 Houston We Have...

Below my USER NAME it says "Contend in September....Please?" The only exciting thing that happened was LaRue's extra inning HR against the Padres.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Watching this team collapse time and time again is almost certainly shortening my life. It is painful. No lie. Losing is the absolute worst thing on earth.
    Maybe you need a hobby. Coin Collecting. Crochet. Putting Ships in those bottles. Blacksmithing.

Yeah, losing sucks. Losing for 6 years in a row sucks. I'll agree with you there. But i'm a glass-half-full guy. Maybe it's naiveity. Maybe I enjoy the history of the sport, and I enjoy the past more. Maybe because my dad and I enjoy it together. It's might sound hokey and very midwestern-1950's like, but its still a game and its the Reds and its going to the park and all that mumbo-jumbo.

You live in a town of monumental collapse and continued mediocrity. Think of those Phillie fans, who really aren't any closer than the Reds have. And they have TWO World Series Winners 65 years apart.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Everytime I come close to getting over the heartbreak of the season I remember Castellini's letter to the players before the west coast swing and that really depresses me.

Please open up your wallet this off season Mr.Castellini and make the Reds real NL contenders in 07.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Maybe you need a hobby. Coin Collecting. Crochet. Putting Ships in those bottles. Blacksmithing.

Yeah, losing sucks. Losing for 6 years in a row sucks. I'll agree with you there. But i'm a glass-half-full guy. Maybe it's naiveity. Maybe I enjoy the history of the sport, and I enjoy the past more. Maybe because my dad and I enjoy it together. It's might sound hokey and very midwestern-1950's like, but its still a game and its the Reds and its going to the park and all that mumbo-jumbo.

You live in a town of monumental collapse and continued mediocrity. Think of those Phillie fans, who really aren't any closer than the Reds have. And they have TWO World Series Winners 65 years apart.
    Trust me, I have a full life. Hobbies, family, avocation, career. The whole bit. But I love my Reds.

And Philly is my home, but not my psychological/sports home. The sports fans here earn their filthy stripes. I don't truck with them, and I genuinely don't care.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Lohse was his own worst enemy in the 2nd, walking two and allowing four hits, but we see so many teams who have that great defense and make plays like the one on Denorfia that it must be the norm. Our shortstop is 36 yeras old and really didn't move that well at 26. Our 2nd baseman looks flashy at times, but never (rarely) makes the web gem play, so what does that all tell us? Save Edwin and Phillips and put the rest of the infield on the bench? I don't know. This is very depressing.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I'm combative, admittedly, but I avoid personal insults against other posters. I really make an honest effort to do that.
    Dude - its all in the delivery -

But my responses are a bunch of frustrations that have someone just types something based on someone elses' thought who beats the same horse over and over and over - I have attacked some people personally, and it's wrong, and I'm waiting for the warn button to get highlighted.

But again, there are other people with other opinions - and they should be respected as such. This isn't some Kum-by-a festival, but there has to be SOME type of reasonable discussion.

You don't get 1100 rep points on accident - so obviously you have that respect.

I'm flipping between the Reds and MNF.

I'm here though.....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Dude - its all in the delivery -

But my responses are a bunch of frustrations that have someone just types something based on someone elses' thought who beats the same horse over and over and over - I have attacked some people personally, and it's wrong, and I'm waiting for the warn button to get highlighted.

But again, there are other people with other opinions - and they should be respected as such. This isn't some Kum-by-a festival, but there has to be SOME type of reasonable discussion.

You don't get 1100 rep points on accident - so obviously you have that respect.
    Eh. It's not just me. I see a lot of guys and gals getting called out for their "fanhood" by people who have only been members of this site for 4 or 5 months. It sucks. And it's not just for me. Heck, if it were just me, I probably wouldn't say anything.

It has nothing to do with rep and everything to do with decency.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Trust me, I have a full life. Hobbies, family, avocation, career. The whole bit. But I love my Reds.
    Dude - I'm with you on that - I wouldn't know what to do if Bil DeWitt decided that San Diego was a great place for a baseball team in 1965 and Frank Dale didn't step to the plate so to speak. I might not even have liked baseball. But, I'm cast with what I have been given and I'm glad the Reds are here to enjoy. I'm still a Reds fan and the last few years have sucked.

FCB - even as flawed as they were this spring - admit it - it WAS fun until around August 28th.

And Philly is my home, but not my psychological/sports home. The sports fans here earn their filthy stripes. I don't truck with them, and I genuinely don't care.
    Wow - you really have assimilated well. You don't care about the Philly sports teams. They obviously don't either

So here we are in the bottom of the 4th, down 0-4, and we have our 5-6-7 hitters coming up. For some reason, the combo of Edwin, Ross and Denorfia don't excite me. Oswalt has been hittable, but the ball always finds itself in someone's glove.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 09-18-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

kapers

I come for the witty banter during these games, but tonight just seems like drudgery. But I'll hang around for a while and hope the Reds can pull out a win and put smiles back on everyone's faces.

Eh. It's not just me. I see a lot of guys and gals getting called out for their "fanhood" by people who have only been members of this site for 4 or 5 months. It sucks. And it's not just for me. Heck, if it were just me, I probably wouldn't say anything.

So, flip the coin the other way - there have been times that newer posters have not been given the chance to fly and sometimes they've been cross-checked by some veteran poster. Who defends those people? Someone has to - if its a reasonable comment.

Sorry to blow your time here FCB - but it sure beats Long Distance Rates.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

That's what makes the Reds' failures year after year after year after year so brutal.
    We should have been Braves fans. We could have at least watched them play slightly into October and then lose.

I have to admit that a lot of arrogance lives here and sometimes the criticism is a little overboard. In fact, it's become much worse in the last three weeks. I've seen folks jumped on unmercifly over as little as a criticism of Narron that we all know is the truth or a theory that is opinion only. The constant harping on Griffey and Dunn is another example. The great love for no hit big hustle guys is legend. But most of all it's gotten nasty. It's easy to be nasty to someone you've never seen and will probably never meet, but it's cowardly too. And a lot of guys are very brave in front of a keyboard.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

So, flip the coin the other way - there have been times that newer posters have not been given the chance to fly and sometimes they've been cross-checked by some veteran poster. Who defends those people? Someone has to - if its a reasonable comment.

Sorry to blow your time here FCB - but it sure beats Long Distance Rates.
    Fair enough. I try not to do that. But I'm sure I have and I've seen others do it.

Turn Off Ads?