Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do You Own A Pete Rose Autographed Item?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope.

23 35.38%
  • Yes and I paid for it.

13 20.00%
  • Yes. It was given to me.

24 36.92%
  • I own lots and hope to get many more!

5 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Own A Pete Rose Autographed Item?

For a Level Playing Field

Do You Own A Pete Rose Autographed Item?

With the recent story... it just made me wonder. No difference on when you bought/got it.

Me? I have an autographed picture of Pete and Bud Harrelson fighting in the 1973 NL Championship Series. Signed by both men. It was a gift from a very generous cousin who understands the REDS sickness that I have. Gave it to me about 4 years ago. Hangs in my den next to a framed poster of Bench and Pudge that was given in Texas when the REDS played the Rangers (Pudge had won his 10th gold glove the prev. year, same # as JB).... same cousin gave me that too (he lived in Dallas at the time).
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 09-18-2006 at 10:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do You Own A Pete Rose Autographed Item?

I'm fortunate enough to have 3 items signed by Rose. I've met him twice, the first time at a junior baseball camp. It was great. The 3 items I have that were autographed by him (20 years ago) are:

1) My first ever glove
    2) A 1985 Pete Rose Topps card
    3) My uncle's Pete Rose scrapbook, which is awesome. My uncle is 50 now and Pete was his favorite player so this scrapbook has tons of 60's and 70's pictures and articles about Pete. Pretty sweet!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Earlier this year, I was in Vegas and made a point of visiting Rose at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace. I got my picture taken with him while he signed a ball for me. (He also signed the photo) Yes, I paid for them, and would gladly do so again. Personally, I don't really care what he's done, I simply admire the ballplayer that he was. He is the reason I got into baseball, not just Cincinnati Reds baseball. It took me 40 years to get the chance to actually meet him. For a small price, I actually got to say hi, thank him for all the memories and exchange a few handshakes. Did it mean anything to him...certainly not...Did it mean something to me...absolutely!!

I've got baseballs signed by the whole team from 1965 and 1967. He's on both of those, back when they still signed them instead of stamping them. I got them at Crosley when I was a kid. Other than that, nothing.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Haunted by walks

A ticket to the Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Earlier this year, I was in Vegas and made a point of visiting Rose at the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace. I got my picture taken with him while he signed a ball for me. (He also signed the photo) Yes, I paid for them, and would gladly do so again. Personally, I don't really care what he's done, I simply admire the ballplayer that he was. He is the reason I got into baseball, not just Cincinnati Reds baseball. It took me 40 years to get the chance to actually meet him. For a small price, I actually got to say hi, thank him for all the memories and exchange a few handshakes. Did it mean anything to him...certainly not...Did it mean something to me...absolutely!!
    Hear hear!!!!! I think this was a wonderful post. Of course we are all disappointed in the fact that yes, Pete bet on baseball. Yes, Pete lied about betting on baseball and finally, Pete came clean about betting on baseball. Pete has been banned from baseball and the Hall of Fame. This is his cross to bear and regardless of whether or not he knew the consequences of his actions, I'm sure it kills him that he was caught and banned for life. I can't help but think of his quote of "I would walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball". If you don't want Pete Rose the MANAGER in the Hall of Fame, so be it, but Pete Rose the PLAYER not being in the Hall of Fame is an atrocity. He gave 110% on the baseball diamond he should be in the Hall of Fame. It made me so mad to hear Gaylord Perry say that Pete shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. I guess it's okay to get elected to the Hall of Fame even though everyone knew he doctored the ball. You can cheat, but don't gamble. Let's be fair. And by the way, I don't think I have ever heard anything about this, but did it ever come out that Pete bet on the Reds to lose?
    And remember the All Century Team? Who got the most applause? What's that tell you? I think if it were up to the fans, he would be reinstated. To be able to manage again, no way. But to be eligble for the Hall of Fame, you betcha!
    Julz

I had a chance this year. He was the celebrity speaker at an annual event here in Calgary. He refused to sign my card of him for free even though he was getting paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000 to be at the event. The card would be near worthless anyways because of the sheer amount of his autographs in the world, but I obviously wanted it for collecting purposes. In my view, when you are getting paid $35,000 to be at an event, you sign autographs for anyone who wants one (especially one of the very few Reds fans actually at the event).

I have a 1969 scorecard from a Reds game that was signed by Rose, Bench, Perez and a few other Reds. That was back in the day when players, especially Rose, freely signed autographs before the game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

1972- I got a "charlie hustle" trophy. We took it to an event he was at and he signed it. For free, of course. You didn't pay for an autograph back then.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I have one of his cards from the 1960s, but I honestly cannot remember which one.

Yes, on the back of a media guide from when he was managing. I was leaving the "Meet the Reds" luncheon and he was in back of the hotel waiting on a taxi. I asked him for his autograph and he was extremely nice. A real thrill for a young kid like me.

I have his and most of his team's autographs on that media guide.

Autographed black and white picture. My Aunt and Grandma drove me to Ashland, KY to get it at an appearance Pete was making at a department store. (I think they wanted to go there to shop and it was a good excuse to drive there from Huntington.) It was free and he actually looked up and asked me what my name was before signing it, "Randy, Best wishes, Pete Rose." He didn't do that for everyone.

Supreme Jar Opener

It was a baseball (also signed by the rest of the Big Red Machine) given to me by a family friend. I regifted it. Pete Rose made me cry when I asked him for his autograph in '88. Jerk.

Zoinks!

I have Pete's autograph on a baseball from the '88 All Star game.

I have a 1974 program that Pete signed for me after a game. He was very nice to sign in the players parking area after a game. (See my avatar)

It makes me sad to hear about how bitter it seems Pete is since he was caught gambling on baseball and banned. This man lived and breathed baseball. There could be no worse punishment for Rose than his lifetime ban.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?