Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick and tired of these celebrities (get lost, would ya?)

Re: Sick and tired of these celebrities (get lost, would ya?)

K-Fed

(I'm a little queasy even calling him a celebrity.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought Brad Pitt was excellent in "A River Runs Through It."

One of my all-time favorite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Sorry Red Leader, but I've got to say Snoop Dog as well. That guy tries to work his way into any movie or TV show he can, regardless of how tiny the role is. I think I rented about 5 movies in a row, where I had to see that guy (at least it seemed that way).
    A man's gotta eat.

Fo Shizzle.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I would argue that it's not hard to avoid these celebrities if you watch all of your television through a DVR and stay away from entertainment news. When you graze on TV, you will run into these overexposed people. Just be selective about what you watch or read and you can avoid them.
    /r/reds

K-Fed.
    Oprah
    Dr. &*** Phil
    Tom Cruise (THe universal Retard)
    Katie Holmes
    President Bush
    Dick Cheney..

The list goes on...

Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown
    TomKat
    Bonds
    Though he's a good player, I get tired of Albert PooHoles

Even though I consider myself a social conservative, three conservative talking heads need special naming in this thread:
    Bill O'Reilly
    Sean Hannity
    Ann Coulter
    None of these are based on their political ideologies, but on how absolutely rude, crass, and abrasive these people are towards others. If they want a lesson on how to be conservative and still be able to talk decent to people they need to look to Joe Scarborough as an example.

Supreme Jar Opener

Tom Cruise has made only one or two movies I thought were worth the film they were on. Born on the Fourth of July and maybe Collateral (but maybe not). I think someone should tell him that he's a bad actor, so he'll go away.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I thought Brad Pitt was excellent in "A River Runs Through It."

One of my all-time favorite movies.
    I didn't see that movie. I thought he was bad in "Troy" and not so great in that movie about the Irish Terrorists with Harrison Ford (A Tom Clancy story). His fake Irish accent was horrible.

In general, I try to avoid him, so I'm not sure I've seen any of his other movies.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If they want a lesson on how to be conservative and still be able to talk decent to people they need to look to Joe Scarborough as an example.
    The more I watch him, the more I agree with you here.

I get sick of his rah rah patriotic schtick he wears on his sleeve, but he can call a spade a spade sometimes. He did a real good job on the debates in 2004.

I didn't see that movie. I thought he was bad in "Troy" and not so great in that movie about the Irish Terrorists with Harrison Ford (A Tom Clancy story). His fake Irish accent was horrible.

In general, I try to avoid him, so I'm not sure I've seen any of his other movies.
    Hope you don't mind me posting this review by Roger Ebert, RR. I think he does a great job of capturing the essence of the film in his review. This is a flick that you really ought to check out.

A River Runs Through It

Three and a half stars

BY ROGER EBERT / October 9, 1992

Cast & Credits
    Norman MacLean: Craig Sheffer
    Paul MacLean: Brad Pitt
    Rev. MacLean: Tom Skerritt

Directed By Robert Redford. Running Time: 123 Minutes. Classified PG.

Fly-fishing stands for life in this movie. If you can learn to do it correctly, to read the river and the fish and yourself, and to do what needs to be done without one wasted motion, you will have attained some of the grace and economy needed to live a good life. If you can do it and understand that the river, the fish and the whole world are God's gifts to use wisely, you will have gone the rest of the way.

This memory of a Western childhood was first told in a book published some 20 years ago by Norman Maclean, after he retired as a professor of English at the University of Chicago. It was a story his father told him he should some day try to write. The book was published to little fanfare by the university press, and immediately found an audience. Many printings later it is one of the sacred books in the libraries of many people - one of the books that actually taught them something, like Walden or Huckleberry Finn.

Redford's film version makes the crucial decision to keep Maclean's voice in the film; his own prose is read as a narration, by Redford, so that we do not simply see events as they happen, we are reminded that they are memories from long ago, and that the author has spent time and trouble to draw the lessons from them.

The movie stars Craig Sheffer as Norman, the older son, more serious, learning to write by taking his papers in to his father's study, invariably to be told, "Good. Now make it half as long." Brad Pitt is the younger brother, Paul, an impetuous, golden-haired free spirit who drinks too much and gets in card games, and wants nothing more than to stay in Montana all of his life, working for a newspaper. Norman has more serious aspirations; he wants to teach literature. But it is Paul who is the better fly fisherman, and who, at least one day, is perfect at what he did.

The movie was shot on locations that suggest the bounty of the Western states in those days. The towns uneasily straddle the divide between the modern and the frontier. As the boys grow up, they meet young ladies, and date, and consider their futures, and Redford elaborates on the book in ways which flesh out the characters of Paul and his mother, and some of the people in their lives, including a young Indian woman Paul dates in defiance of town opinion, and the high-spirited Jessie, (Emily Lloyd), who eventually becomes Norman's wife.

This must have been a very difficult movie to write. It is not really about the events that happen in it. They are only illustrations for underlying principles. Leave out the principles, and all you have left are some interesting people who are born, grow up, and take various directions in life.

Redford and his writer, Richard Friedenberg, understand that most of the events in any life are accidential or arbitrary, especially the crucial ones, and we can exercise little conscious control over our destinies. Instead, they understand that the Reverend Maclean's lessons were about how to behave no matter what life brings; about how to wade into the unpredictable stream and deal with whatever happens with grace, courage and honesty. It is the film's best achievement that it communicates that message with such feeling.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/river_runs_through_it/

70% positive on Rotten Tomatoes.

Supreme Jar Opener

Brad Pitt has also made a few bad movies, but.. he played a good crazy person... 12 monkeys, Kalifornia... I wonder if his eyes hurt after 12 monkeys, or was that movie magic?

Quote Originally Posted by zombielady View Post
    Brad Pitt has also made a few bad movies, but.. he played a good crazy person... 12 monkeys, Kalifornia... I wonder if his eyes hurt after 12 monkeys, or was that movie magic?
    He was great as a stoner in True Romance.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Yes, yes he was. Actually I've enjoyed Brad Pitt in a number of movies. Meet Joe Black was by far the best comedy I've ever seen. Honestly the only part I really watched was when he got hit by the cars... that was wonderful!

You're confusing your Irish Terrorist movies. Harrison Ford was in both. Pitt and Ford were in The Devil's Own... which was trash. Ford was also in Patriot Games, which was based on the Clancy novel. It also was not good... but not as bad as The Devil's Own.

And yes, Brangelina can go away anytime now.

Has anyone mentioned Ashton Kutchar and Demi Moore yet?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Ah, the wonderful character known as "Floyd"

"Don't condescend ME, Jack..."

Turn Off Ads?