Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Ikea

  1. #1
    Bunn-O-matic max venable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Posts
    2,745

    Ikea

    Anybody shop IKEA?

    My wife and I love it. We take about two trips to Pittsburgh a year to see the Reds and, more importantly to her, shop at IKEA.

    I read recently that one's being built in West Chester. For those of you in the Cincinnati area that haven't visited one...you're in for a treat.

    But I admit, IKEA is not for everyone. Their stuff has a disctinct, modern-contemporary-european flavor to it.

    We first got turned on to IKEA in Chicago about three years ago. Now we make sure to visit whenever we're close to one.

    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,417

    Re: Ikea

    Not a big fan myself, my sister is..... I do like the concept, hate most of their sitting furniture, like their tables but I do go for the sparse design ethics that some of their stuff espouses.

    Hate the idea of one in Westchester, thats' where my inlaws retired... Shoppingville, it's fast becoming northern Atlanta up there.

  4. #3
    La Dolce Vita
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,764

    Re: Ikea

    Been to the one in Chicago...restaurant isn't bad....I'll make the trek up to West Chester.
    teach tolerance.

  5. #4
    Oy Vey! Red in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Ikea

    I absolutely hate it. When I first saw the catalogue, I was kind of impressed. However, when I actually got there to physically see the stuff, it really turned me off. We've got two in my area (Schaumburg and Bolingbrook). I give them credit though, they are ALWAYS packed...just like another store I hate...Wal-Mart.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,084

    Re: Ikea

    I like the concept better than the execution as well. A lot of their furniture doesn't hold up. Their cookware though is dirt cheap. I filled my kitchen with that stuff.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  7. #6
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,742

    Re: Ikea

    I've never been to one. But I have been stuck in a traffic jam caused by the one in Emeryville California (Oakland)

    I do like the song "Date with Ikea" by Pavement though.

    The actress is always breaking things
    The things you made and she took you for
    And Im so tired -- Id be lying -- I hope the prarie buys you more
    The fitness coast is growing near
    The shores they dont stay blond this year
    Thats why the marble lawns stay clear and warm in time

    I want to stay but my time is wasting
    The magic lands call my name
    They want to fire a missle launcher
    But I know I need to stay

    We all know that by staying here itll be a good high this year
    So whats the use to staying there if youve got no use for time
    The fitness coast is growing near
    The shores they dont stay blond all year
    The continent moves with growing fears
    Its all for expensive lawn

    I want to stay but my time is wasting
    The magic lawns call my name
    I want to fire a missle launcher
    But I know I need to stay

    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  8. #7
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,184

    Re: Ikea

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I've never been to one. But I have been stuck in a traffic jam caused by the one in Emeryville California (Oakland)

    I do like the song "Date with Ikea" by Pavement though.

    The actress is always breaking things
    The things you made and she took you for
    And Im so tired -- Id be lying -- I hope the prarie buys you more
    The fitness coast is growing near
    The shores they dont stay blond this year
    Thats why the marble lawns stay clear and warm in time

    I want to stay but my time is wasting
    The magic lands call my name
    They want to fire a missle launcher
    But I know I need to stay

    We all know that by staying here itll be a good high this year
    So whats the use to staying there if youve got no use for time
    The fitness coast is growing near
    The shores they dont stay blond all year
    The continent moves with growing fears
    Its all for expensive lawn

    I want to stay but my time is wasting
    The magic lawns call my name
    I want to fire a missle launcher
    But I know I need to stay

    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    I know I need to stay
    (and fight the day.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  9. #8
    Member Oxilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: Ikea

    I'm a college student who just moved into a new apartment. I just bought half of my furniture from IKEA, and for a very reasonable price. I can understand why older people wouldn't like it, but for college students and new families, it's a HUGE help. Not to mention, they have some good food for an extremely reasonable price.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

  10. #9
    Oy Vey! Red in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Ikea

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I'm a college student who just moved into a new apartment. I just bought half of my furniture from IKEA, and for a very reasonable price. I can understand why older people wouldn't like it, but for college students and new families, it's a HUGE help. Not to mention, they have some good food for an extremely reasonable price.
    gee, thanks

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,084

    Re: Ikea

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I'm a college student who just moved into a new apartment. I just bought half of my furniture from IKEA, and for a very reasonable price. I can understand why older people wouldn't like it, but for college students and new families, it's a HUGE help. Not to mention, they have some good food for an extremely reasonable price.
    Yeah, their selection of rockers suck.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  12. #11
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,786

    Re: Ikea

    Is this the store the zombies want to go to so they can buy furniture after they eat brains in "The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror" by Christopher Moore?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  13. #12
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,388

    Re: Ikea

    Ikea is like the mother ship to my wife.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  14. #13
    Supreme Jar Opener
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    288

    Re: Ikea

    Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Is this the store the zombies want to go to so they can buy furniture after they eat brains in "The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror" by Christopher Moore?
    Zombies shop at Ikea? I never knew

    I saw the catolog. The husband would never go for it, I'm pretty sure he's had his fill of medium density fiberboard...:thumbdown

  15. #14
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,440

    Re: Ikea

    Quote Originally Posted by zombielady View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's had his fill of medium density fiberboard...:thumbdown
    The majority of their wood furniture is plywood, rather than fiberboard based. IKEA's furniture is nothing like the crappy office furniture from Sauder, which I consider to be the anchor at the bottom of the fiberboard barrel. To each his own, I suppose.

    The official name is IKEA. The wikipedia entry is vague on the origins, but I've always figured it was capitalized because it is an acronym.

    We just think it's good, utilitarian stuff. I've been to the Chicago store and the Houston store a few times each. I don't think we've ever walked out of IKEA empty-handed. There aren't many rooms in our house that don't have a piece or two of IKEA furniture. It's much more practical to have IKEA furniture when there are kids in the house than dark wood furniture with a fancy finish, which was the path we started down when we were first married.
    /r/reds

  16. #15
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Ikea

    Yep, I like Ikea - the only thing is that the biggest $$ item I bought hasn't been very good - but the Poang chairs and footstool are absolutely the bomb. Very comfortable.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25