Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any scotch drinkers?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Any scotch drinkers?

Scotch like bourbon like coffee or wine is an acquried taste and everyone knows what they like. There is no right or wrong way to drink them, just give each one a chance and don't be afraid.
    Last edited by Highlifeman21; 09-22-2006 at 12:54 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Go to Nicholson's and they'll ask you if you'd like your scotch with Highland still, I believe they called it, which if you read their little quips in their scotch menu, it's basically Scotish distilled water. Really brings out the taste of older scotches.
    I toured several distilleries in the Highlands last year. When I asked one of the distillers where they got their water from, he giggled and said, "it is from the stream next to the parking lot." So, if you truly purchased Highland still, you are probably getting the runoff from someone's diesel engine.

I brought back bottles of Mortlach and Longmorn-Glenlivet from Scotland, both of which are great scotches that you can't buy stateside. I enjoy nearly all Speyside single malts, and I tend to stay away from the Islays and peatier scotches (Oban, Talisker, etc.). I have had a few cask-strength scotches (~60% alcohol), and I can't say I enjoyed them much. I guess I don't have the intestinal fortitude to handle those spirits.

For Macallan lovers, the distillery replicates a vintage 1930s Macallan that is out of this world (500mL bottle). You should be able to get it here in the states.

http://www.themacallan.com/range/thirties.html

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

So a high end liquor store known as "BevMo" moved into my neighborhood in the last month.

I've been stopping in there, and amazed at the number of hard alcohols & especially whisky & scotch.

I've been a pretty regular fan of 4 brands, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Bushmills & Crown Royal - but since this shop opened up - I've decided to widen my palate take advantage of the huge (100+) small bottled brands they have to try out a whole spread of scotch & whisky flavors.

And I think I've discovered that I'm just not a fan of scotch. Seems that most brag & push their smoky & peaty flavors - but those are the two characteristics I like the least. Tonight the last two nights I've tried two new brands - Dewers 12 year old & Johnny Walker Black - and wasn't really a fan of either. Didn't really take to last week's trials, Glenfiddich & MacAllen either.
    So I have a question for you scotch drinkers out there - anyone know of any scotch's to try that aren't really smoky & peaty?

Maybe I just like the Irish/Kentucky style more and that's the way it is. Who knows.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I've been a pretty regular fan of 4 brands, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Bushmills & Crown Royal - but since this shop opened up - I've decided to widen my palate take advantage of the huge (100+) small bottled brands they have to try out a whole spread of scotch & whisky flavors.
    If you like Makers Mark, try out Woodford Reserve if you can find it. You won't be disappointed.

GL

I haven't had hard alcohol in months, but scotch is my drink when given the choice. On the rocks, please.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    So a high end liquor store known as "BevMo" moved into my neighborhood in the last month.

I've been stopping in there, and amazed at the number of hard alcohols & especially whisky & scotch.

And I think I've discovered that I'm just not a fan of scotch. Seems that most brag & push their smoky & peaty flavors - but those are the two characteristics I like the least. Tonight the last two nights I've tried two new brands - Dewers 12 year old & Johnny Walker Black - and wasn't really a fan of either. Didn't really take to last week's trials, Glenfiddich & MacAllen either.
    So I have a question for you scotch drinkers out there - anyone know of any scotch's to try that aren't really smoky & peaty?

Maybe I just like the Irish/Kentucky style more and that's the way it is. Who knows.
    Johnny Black isn't the best way to get introduced to the Walker family. Try the Green or Gold varieties. They won't disappoint you.

I've never been a Dewars fan at all, nor a Chivas Regal fan.

I would give Talisker a try if you're looking for something less smokey and peaty. Try something in the 15 year variety, although IIRC the 12 is pretty nice as well.

I've been really digging Laphroaig 10 Year Old, neat. Very peaty...great on a cold night. Glenfarclas 10 Year Old is quite nice for a little less coin. To me, the best "bang for the buck" Scotch Whisky is "Jon, Mark and Robbo's", they give the names based on how they taste: "The Smokey Petey One," "The Rich Spicy One," etc.

I also like to have a nice MacCallen 12 (or 18!) around.

Since moving to the South, I've gotten turned on to Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskeys. Jack Daniel's is OK (the tour of the distillery is pretty cool) but one of the best I've had is Dickel's Single Barrel...wow! I think its less than $40 and there aren't enough O's in the word "smooth" to describe how it goes down.

Best Scotch I've ever had, hands down, is Pinch; a blend aged 15 years, $40/bottle in Ky. Probably more expensive elsewhere. Not every guess gets my pinch. (The mother-in-law gets J & B.)
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 04-25-2007 at 10:00 PM.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    If you like Makers Mark, try out Woodford Reserve if you can find it. You won't be disappointed.

GL
    Man Oh Man! I could not agree more. For the price, it's one of the best!
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?