Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: reds vs cubs in previous trades

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783

    reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Loved getting Bill Bonham and Ted Abernathy
    did not like giving them Bill Caudill though. Bonham was one of the reds best pitchers (with the initials BB) even outperforming the legendary Bob Buchanon

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Ted Abernathy was a waiver wire pickup - there was no deal.

    Nice 1967-1968 seasons for a guy who was washed up.

    There's a picture of Mrs. Abernathy in the Big Red Machine book by Erardi/Rhoades. Its a picture from the 60's and the beehive is at least 2 foot tall. I always remember that picture when Ted Abernathy's name is brought up.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  4. #3
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,233

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    There's a picture of Mrs. Abernathy in the Big Red Machine book by Erardi/Rhoades. Its a picture from the 60's and the beehive is at least 2 foot tall. I always remember that picture when Ted Abernathy's name is brought up.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    abernathy was involved in a trade with Bill Plummer and future hitting coach clarence jones

  6. #5
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,266

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Loved getting Bill Bonham and Ted Abernathy
    did not like giving them Bill Caudill though. Bonham was one of the reds best pitchers (with the initials BB) even outperforming the legendary Bob Buchanon
    The Reds had a veritable plethora of BB's:

    Bob Bailey
    Bill Baker
    Bobby Balcena
    Bob Barton
    Billy Bates
    Beals Becker
    Buddy Bell
    Bill Bergen
    Bob Bescher
    Brett Boone
    Bob Borkowski
    Buddy Bradford

    and alliterative honorable mentions, Asby Asbjornson and Pinky Pettenger

    Pay attention to the open sky

  7. #6
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,233

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The Reds had a veritable plethora of BB's:

    Bob Bailey
    Bill Baker
    Bobby Balcena
    Bob Barton
    Billy Bates
    Beals Becker
    Buddy Bell
    Bill Bergen
    Bob Bescher
    Brett Boone
    Bob Borkowski
    Buddy Bradford
    My favorite baseball player name of modern times is Buddy Biancalana, though he never played for the Reds.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    as well as the great front office man bill bergersch

  9. #8
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,521

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    as well as the great front office man bill bergersch
    And that 80's classic
    Bruce Berenyi

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    cousin of Ned Garver of course

  11. #10
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Can't forget that 50's standout, Bud Byerly, #38 in your program but #1 in your hearts.
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 09-21-2006 at 04:23 PM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  12. #11
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,001

    Re: reds vs cubs in previous trades

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Ted Abernathy was a waiver wire pickup - there was no deal.

    Nice 1967-1968 seasons for a guy who was washed up.

    There's a picture of Mrs. Abernathy in the Big Red Machine book by Erardi/Rhoades. Its a picture from the 60's and the beehive is at least 2 foot tall. I always remember that picture when Ted Abernathy's name is brought up.
    That is a dandy of a doo..... freaking hilarious.

    February 4, 1938

    Purchased Lonny Frey from the Chicago Cubs.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25