Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Field

Clay P

Right Field

The Reds are going nowhere next year unless they find a run producing right fielder. Kearns wasn't the answer and neither is Ryan Freel. The best solution is to sign a free agent. If they cannot do that or are not willing than let's see if Edwin can play right field, he certainly can't play 3rd base. If Edwin can play RF than Aurilla can play 3B. Move Phillips to SS and play Freel at 2B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Right Field

Interesting post, but I think the defensive issues center around one position, centerfield.

You could shift Griffey over to RF and he becomes your run producing RFer. It would be nice if we could get a run producing centerfielder that provides good defense..but there aren't a plethora of those.

EE is fine at 3B. He's a young player. Give him some time to improve. He certainly can play 3B. He might be one of the best third basemen in the league if you just let him play there and show some patience with him...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay P View Post
    The Reds are going nowhere next year unless they find a run producing right fielder. Kearns wasn't the answer and neither is Ryan Freel. The best solution is to sign a free agent. If they cannot do that or are not willing than let's see if Edwin can play right field, he certainly can't play 3rd base. If Edwin can play RF than Aurilla can play 3B. Move Phillips to SS and play Freel at 2B.
    Am I missing something? Are you suggesting Freel needs to be a 2B unstead of RF, or that EE will produce more runs if he is in RF vs 3B?

I agree, When Edwin throws more overhand rather than 3/4's or sidearm on balls that he has to move to he seems to do ok. Throwing has been his problem. With a little time he's going to be a good one.

Kearns was the answer. .265/.360, 23 HR, 84 RBI, 85 runs and above average defense (with 10 games to go) would look pretty good out there in right field especially when Hopper and Hollandsworth were in the OF in Houston.

I'm not sure what people wanted from Kearns. During his supposedly awful 2005 -- which was so "bad" that he was sent down to the minors -- he was on pace to drive in 100+ runs for the year. His career numbers don't lie -- 1800 ABs with 280 runs, 78 HR's and 297 RBI's. That's basically three full seasons worth of stats and it averages out to 26HR's and 99 RBI's per season with 93 runs scored and a .360 OBP (BTW, the Red's average is .337 OBP).

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    Kearns was the answer. .265/.360, 23 HR, 84 RBI, 85 runs and above average defense (with 10 games to go) would look pretty good out there in right field especially when Hopper and Hollandsworth were in the OF in Houston.

I'm not sure what people wanted from Kearns. During his supposedly awful 2005 -- which was so "bad" that he was sent down to the minors -- he was on pace to drive in 100+ runs for the year. His career numbers don't lie -- 1800 ABs with 280 runs, 78 HR's and 297 RBI's. That's basically three full seasons worth of stats and it averages out to 26HR's and 99 RBI's per season with 93 runs scored and a .360 OBP (BTW, the Red's average is .337 OBP).

What I wanted from Kearns was a fire in his belly that and it to also be shown by Dunn. That ARod SI article truly defined what is needed is players who are center pieces on a contending team. To use a hockey anology scoring 50 goals in regular season is nice but if its followed by crunch time collapses. they are nothing but a good dress rehearsal performer but when the lights come on there no where to be found.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If that guy who hit 40 homers and then goes 2-10 in a 3 game series doesn't hit 40 homers during the regular season, there are no lights.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ryan Freel can not play everyday.

The infield next year is going to be..........

EE, Phillips (SS), RA (2B), Hatteberg.

RA slides over to 1st with Freel playing 2B vs. lefties. Freel fills in at different positions vs. RHP. It's how he should be used.

Hopefully Griffey is traded, but if not he should go to RF and find a leadoff hitter (or Torri Hunter) to play CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

RA slides over to 1st with Freel playing 2B vs. lefties. Freel fills in at different positions vs. RHP. It's how he should be used.

Hopefully Griffey is traded, but if not he should go to RF and find a leadoff hitter (or Torri Hunter) to play CF.

Yup!

9 Posts and no mention of Peter, Paul, & Mary's song "Right Field"

And I'm not going to do it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Clay P

No I'm saying that Edwin will play better in RF than 3B. If the Reds cannot make a deal for a power hitter (RF?) then it keeps the best bats in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    What I wanted from Kearns was a fire in his belly that and it to also be shown by Dunn. That ARod SI article truly defined what is needed is players who are center pieces on a contending team. To use a hockey anology scoring 50 goals in regular season is nice but if its followed by crunch time collapses. they are nothing but a good dress rehearsal performer but when the lights come on there no where to be found.
    Not everyone needs to be a leader. Dunn and Kearns would be fine if they are surrounded by a couple others like Vaughn. No one really wants a team full of Craig Counsel's, Ryan Freel's and Brady Clark's, even though we love their scrappy play.

I mean, if all eight position players had the stats of Dunn and Kearns -- four guys hitting .240/.370 with 100R/40HR/100RBI and four guys with .265/.360 with 90R/25HR/100RBI, I just wouldn't be concerned at all about the amount of "fire in their bellies." I'd sit back and watch the runs being scored.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If Griffey is back, he needs to be moved to LF. That is where you stick your worst defensive outfielder and you need an arm in RF and Griffey doesn't have one.

Dunn needs to be traded or moved to 1B. If traded, Hatteberg and Aurilia simply need to platoon at 1B until Votto is ready.

If Dunn is kept, he needs moved to 1B and Hatteberg needs traded or kept as insurance. In that case, Aurilia should not be re-signed.

Phillips needs to move to SS. EE stays at 3B. Denorfia or a FA in CF. Freel moves around between RF and 2B. 2B is either a FA or a Freel/Harris platoon.

Larue needs to go. Ross and Valentin at catcher until we can develop a decent replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    9 Posts and no mention of Peter, Paul, & Mary's song "Right Field"

And I'm not going to do it.
    That is probably my favorite baseball song, not counting individual team fight songs. It actually makes me cry.

(and yes, it's what I thought of when I saw this topic too.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

You had me until you mentioned the out-making machine, Torii Hunter. That would be the same Torii Hunter with a career OPS of .785, .323 of which comes from OBP. Combine his declining defensive skills (due to age) along with his propensity to not get on base, and he's the perfect player for the Reds to avoid.

Ryan Freel is not an everyday player, and I think most people could agree upon that notion.

Turn Off Ads?