Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Right Field

  1. #1
    Clay P
    Guest

    Right Field

    The Reds are going nowhere next year unless they find a run producing right fielder. Kearns wasn't the answer and neither is Ryan Freel. The best solution is to sign a free agent. If they cannot do that or are not willing than let's see if Edwin can play right field, he certainly can't play 3rd base. If Edwin can play RF than Aurilla can play 3B. Move Phillips to SS and play Freel at 2B.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Right Field

    Interesting post, but I think the defensive issues center around one position, centerfield.

    You could shift Griffey over to RF and he becomes your run producing RFer. It would be nice if we could get a run producing centerfielder that provides good defense..but there aren't a plethora of those.

    EE is fine at 3B. He's a young player. Give him some time to improve. He certainly can play 3B. He might be one of the best third basemen in the league if you just let him play there and show some patience with him...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    346

    Re: Right Field

    Quote Originally Posted by Clay P View Post
    The Reds are going nowhere next year unless they find a run producing right fielder. Kearns wasn't the answer and neither is Ryan Freel. The best solution is to sign a free agent. If they cannot do that or are not willing than let's see if Edwin can play right field, he certainly can't play 3rd base. If Edwin can play RF than Aurilla can play 3B. Move Phillips to SS and play Freel at 2B.
    Am I missing something? Are you suggesting Freel needs to be a 2B unstead of RF, or that EE will produce more runs if he is in RF vs 3B?

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    133

    Re: Right Field

    I agree, When Edwin throws more overhand rather than 3/4's or sidearm on balls that he has to move to he seems to do ok. Throwing has been his problem. With a little time he's going to be a good one.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    329

    Re: Right Field

    Kearns was the answer. .265/.360, 23 HR, 84 RBI, 85 runs and above average defense (with 10 games to go) would look pretty good out there in right field especially when Hopper and Hollandsworth were in the OF in Houston.

    I'm not sure what people wanted from Kearns. During his supposedly awful 2005 -- which was so "bad" that he was sent down to the minors -- he was on pace to drive in 100+ runs for the year. His career numbers don't lie -- 1800 ABs with 280 runs, 78 HR's and 297 RBI's. That's basically three full seasons worth of stats and it averages out to 26HR's and 99 RBI's per season with 93 runs scored and a .360 OBP (BTW, the Red's average is .337 OBP).

  7. #6
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Right Field

    Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    Kearns was the answer. .265/.360, 23 HR, 84 RBI, 85 runs and above average defense (with 10 games to go) would look pretty good out there in right field especially when Hopper and Hollandsworth were in the OF in Houston.

    I'm not sure what people wanted from Kearns. During his supposedly awful 2005 -- which was so "bad" that he was sent down to the minors -- he was on pace to drive in 100+ runs for the year. His career numbers don't lie -- 1800 ABs with 280 runs, 78 HR's and 297 RBI's. That's basically three full seasons worth of stats and it averages out to 26HR's and 99 RBI's per season with 93 runs scored and a .360 OBP (BTW, the Red's average is .337 OBP).

    What I wanted from Kearns was a fire in his belly that and it to also be shown by Dunn. That ARod SI article truly defined what is needed is players who are center pieces on a contending team. To use a hockey anology scoring 50 goals in regular season is nice but if its followed by crunch time collapses. they are nothing but a good dress rehearsal performer but when the lights come on there no where to be found.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  8. #7
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,928

    Re: Right Field

    If that guy who hit 40 homers and then goes 2-10 in a 3 game series doesn't hit 40 homers during the regular season, there are no lights.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  9. #8
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,316

    Re: Right Field

    Ryan Freel can not play everyday.

    The infield next year is going to be..........

    EE, Phillips (SS), RA (2B), Hatteberg.

    RA slides over to 1st with Freel playing 2B vs. lefties. Freel fills in at different positions vs. RHP. It's how he should be used.

    Hopefully Griffey is traded, but if not he should go to RF and find a leadoff hitter (or Torri Hunter) to play CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  10. #9
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,728

    Re: Right Field

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ryan Freel can not play everyday.

    The infield next year is going to be..........

    EE, Phillips (SS), RA (2B), Hatteberg.

    RA slides over to 1st with Freel playing 2B vs. lefties. Freel fills in at different positions vs. RHP. It's how he should be used.

    Hopefully Griffey is traded, but if not he should go to RF and find a leadoff hitter (or Torri Hunter) to play CF.

    Yup!

  11. #10
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Right Field

    9 Posts and no mention of Peter, Paul, & Mary's song "Right Field"

    And I'm not going to do it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  12. #11
    Clay P
    Guest

    Re: Right Field

    No I'm saying that Edwin will play better in RF than 3B. If the Reds cannot make a deal for a power hitter (RF?) then it keeps the best bats in the lineup.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    329

    Re: Right Field

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    What I wanted from Kearns was a fire in his belly that and it to also be shown by Dunn. That ARod SI article truly defined what is needed is players who are center pieces on a contending team. To use a hockey anology scoring 50 goals in regular season is nice but if its followed by crunch time collapses. they are nothing but a good dress rehearsal performer but when the lights come on there no where to be found.
    Not everyone needs to be a leader. Dunn and Kearns would be fine if they are surrounded by a couple others like Vaughn. No one really wants a team full of Craig Counsel's, Ryan Freel's and Brady Clark's, even though we love their scrappy play.

    I mean, if all eight position players had the stats of Dunn and Kearns -- four guys hitting .240/.370 with 100R/40HR/100RBI and four guys with .265/.360 with 90R/25HR/100RBI, I just wouldn't be concerned at all about the amount of "fire in their bellies." I'd sit back and watch the runs being scored.

  14. #13
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: Right Field

    If Griffey is back, he needs to be moved to LF. That is where you stick your worst defensive outfielder and you need an arm in RF and Griffey doesn't have one.

    Dunn needs to be traded or moved to 1B. If traded, Hatteberg and Aurilia simply need to platoon at 1B until Votto is ready.

    If Dunn is kept, he needs moved to 1B and Hatteberg needs traded or kept as insurance. In that case, Aurilia should not be re-signed.

    Phillips needs to move to SS. EE stays at 3B. Denorfia or a FA in CF. Freel moves around between RF and 2B. 2B is either a FA or a Freel/Harris platoon.

    Larue needs to go. Ross and Valentin at catcher until we can develop a decent replacement.

  15. #14
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,184

    Re: Right Field

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    9 Posts and no mention of Peter, Paul, & Mary's song "Right Field"

    And I'm not going to do it.
    That is probably my favorite baseball song, not counting individual team fight songs. It actually makes me cry.

    (and yes, it's what I thought of when I saw this topic too.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  16. #15
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Right Field

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ryan Freel can not play everyday.

    The infield next year is going to be..........

    EE, Phillips (SS), RA (2B), Hatteberg.

    RA slides over to 1st with Freel playing 2B vs. lefties. Freel fills in at different positions vs. RHP. It's how he should be used.

    Hopefully Griffey is traded, but if not he should go to RF and find a leadoff hitter (or Torri Hunter) to play CF.

    You had me until you mentioned the out-making machine, Torii Hunter. That would be the same Torii Hunter with a career OPS of .785, .323 of which comes from OBP. Combine his declining defensive skills (due to age) along with his propensity to not get on base, and he's the perfect player for the Reds to avoid.

    Ryan Freel is not an everyday player, and I think most people could agree upon that notion.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25