Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I Would Have Luke Scott's Children

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I Would Have Luke Scott's Children

19 total bases so far this week in my fantasy baseball championships.

OPS over 2.

Three straight nights with a triple.

There aren't too many 28 year old rookies like him, that's for sure.

And I'm kidding about the children thing.

I am going to win several hundred dollars because of this guy and blind stinking luck.

I never even heard of the guy. Just went to "Add a player" and searched for highest OPS back in August.

Geesh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I Would Have Luke Scott's Children

Dude put two more out tonight and drove in 5.

Gonna buy that guy a drink if I ever see him.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

LOL Dom. That's why I quit playing fantasy football. Too much blind luck involved. I'd spend several hours a week geeking over stats and evaluating teams, then some goob who barely watches a game wins it all and takes my money. Same with those damned NCAA Tourney brackets.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    LOL Dom. That's why I quit playing fantasy football. Too much blind luck involved. I'd spend several hours a week geeking over stats and evaluating teams, then some goob who barely watches a game wins it all and takes my money. Same with those damned NCAA Tourney brackets.
    That's one reason I don't play money leagues; I stick to the free leagues and play for fun. That way when bad luck strikes, it doesn't cost you anything.

Same here

In doing some research, he has been a fairly productive player when given a chance to play.

But I will readily admit, I had no idea who he was- I just hit the search button and looked for players with an OPS over 1 and lo and behold, here this guy was.

I won the entire thing based on doing that, but a few disclaimers are in order.

My team was in first place the entire year- I ended being the regular season champ (in fantasy that means squat, I know) based on a team I drafted with all well known players.

The problem was that by September, they all had stopped hitting. Swisher, Burrell, Jeff Kent was in and out of the lineup, Adam Dunn was phoning it in, David Wright couldn't hit to save his life- so I either had to change my entire team or limp into the playoffs.

I kept David Ortiz and pretty much changed everybody out with people who were hot at the time.

I had Esteban German, Ty Wiggington, Bonds, Moises Alou, Luke Scott....I even added Chris Duffy to give me some more stolen bases.

Look at the numbers for those guys this month and it's no wonder I crushed the guy. Admittedly, that isn't a fantasy championship name squad, but I beat a team that had Thome, Dye, Mauer....

I would have been creamed if I kept my original team, so I'm happy I made the changes.

There was a little more than luck involved- I didn't just throw anybody in there- but it does suck for him that he lost to a team with players the owner never even heard of.

This is why I like baseball and fantasy sports in general. If you understand statistics, then anybody can really play. I won a fantasy basketball league without ever knowing anybody on my team. I can't stand basketball. I just read the stat lines for the prior year and drafted on the rules of the league.

You have to know the rules and then exploit them using the best talent involved. You draft from the position with the least depth to the most so as to gain in advantage at each position over your opponent.

There are always exceptions to that, but I set up that way every year.

My one regret is listening to a fantasy magazine that said Alfonso Soriano was going to have a terrible year. I took Roy Oswalt at that spot instead, and frankly, I should have known that pitiching grows on trees in these leagues once you get past the top 5 or 6 pitchers in the game.

Turn Off Ads?