Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All is not well in Baltimore

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: All is not well in Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    We totally agree on the final point. The off-season is the key. I just hope and pray that we don't see the reincarnation of the Minnesota Twins here. Ever notice how many former Twins Krivsky brings in? I mean, it's like he doesn't have an original idea. I'm sorry, but I'm really disappointed in Krivsky and Robert C. When they started out, they went gangbusters. DFA'd a lot of worthless players, brought in a couple of good players and I got into a comfort zone with them. Then, all of a sudden, we get two starters for three pretty much worthless pitchers and an over-the-hill shortstop followed by the numerous retread pitchers. What?

Today, I was listening to another MLB "expert" tellling how we got the biggest fleecing of the year. I believe in accountability. I always have in business or in sports business. You bring in guys who are supposed to make a difference and if they don't, you are the blame. Yes, it's too soon to hang Krivsky from the highest tree. Same with Cast, but I'm not afraid to say that the total result of the changes has been less than satisfactory starting with extentions for Krivsky from Cast and the manager from Krivsky. If things are not working out, you shake things up, but in the usual conservative ways this franchise has practiced from time to time, e get more of the same. I want radical change. Ditch the whole team if you must, but make it better. What we got was less value for what we had and regardless of the improvement of the bullpen, we've continued to lose, lose, lose. Is that acceptable? Not to me especially from a bunch who came in saying heads would roll.

It may all work out, but I'm not seeing that right now. What I'm seeing is what we've had for six long years. Losing baseball and moves that mystify everyone. We had that with Boone and Miley, Marge and Carl, and now Bob and Wayne. Be "glass-half-full" all you want, but the bottom line is losing baseball and made worse by moves. I will not sugar-coat it and go along with the ones who want to "have faith" in the new ownership and management. What I see is losing baseball and moves making things worse. And that's not acceptable.
    At the risk of being glib, I'm not sure that it is a reasonable expectation that a few months of a new regime will undo years of a poor organization. It's a great story when it happens, but more often than not it does not. The fast start did nothing more than gloss over the harsh realities of this squad. Honestly, the new group have seemed to make their most glaring questionable moves trying to do so, but I really think that your assumptions are joining the overblowing of the Kearns and Lopez deal. I have seen more hyperbole generated from that transaction than has ever been on this board, and that is saying something. Now, it seems that the new guys really meant it when they said they wanted to win it this year and at times rolled craps. Is that really more of the same?

I know certain folks don't like the comparisons, but having followed the rise of the Bengals blow by blow, I see so many similarities in the attitude of the fan base. Losing the finale to the Browns brought out all the cries of "same old Bungles." Then, the deadpanning of all Marvin's moves to date ensued and all the same soothsayers were telling everyone "I told you so." I can also tell you what happens to the soothsayers when things get turned around and headed in the right direction--they keep on predicting doom. Eventually, a down year will prove them right, and the posts will increase...well anyone who follows their favorite team in a forum knows what I mean.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds and 26.2's

Eric Milton would solve all of Baltimore's problems...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    I'm dissapoined too as the rest of us on here are but at the beginning of the year did anyone really expect this team to contend.Its the last week of the season and they still haven't been mathamatically eliminated yet. I guess thats saying something although it is the same as the last six years. With all the tinkering Wayne did with the pitching its the offense that went south on this team the last six weeks. Dunn has really stunk it up and Griffey isn't far behind. Phillips has an obp of less than 300 the last two months, Ross and Freel are striking out at Adam Dunn pace and Hatteburg finally came down to earth. Its still to soon to say we got fleeced on the Kearns Lopez trade but it does look like a veteran GM took advantage of a rookie GM.
    There are five things I do this off season if I'm Krisky.1.I trade Dunn for an outfielder who can make contact at the plate and drive in 80 runs or better.2.Griffey goes to Left or right and if doesn't then he's not a team player. 3.I dump Hatteburg and give Aurilia 1st base for 2007.I'm tired of having a pop and Judy hitting 1st baseman.4.I go after the best starting pitcher on the free agent market hot and heavy.If its Schmidt and he wants 12 to 14 million a year then do it.If you want to excite this city and let them know you mean business this will do it.5. I've been a Jerry Narron supporter all year and for the most he's done his best with what he's had to work with but I just don't see him as a great motivater.It just seems like he's quit with the rest of the team.Giving this I would go after Big Lou or any manager who won't stand by quietly while the ship is sinking.
    I'm spending a lot of money here but I think they have it and if success is in the cards then they had better spend it. Just an opinion.
    Well, that's certainly a list.

In reverse order....

5. Why anyone can be a Narron supporter boggles the logical mind. He's a horrible manager who's never had a winning record, IIRC. He's the solution to all our issues.... He hasn't even come remotely close to doing his best with what he's had to work with. Benching EE for that month, or however long it was is seriously criminal.

4. So we put Jason Schmidt, an aging Jason Schmidt at that, in our rotation, lock him up with a worse than Milton-esque contract, and still don't have a bullpen to give us 3 good innings a night. Sweet, we can expect 750 IP from Schmidt, Harang and Arroyo combined.

3. Hatteberg is clearly a pop and judy hitter, when you were probably looking for the phrase "punch and judy". Close. Actually, the Hatteberg/Aurilia platoon was one of the brighter spots for us in 2006. Let's definitely get rid of a good thing. While we're at it, we might as well name Elizardo Ramirez Opening Day starter right now....

2. You tell Griffey he's not a team player, and demand he plays LF or RF. Won't happen in our lifetime. While Griffey might actually be selfish by continuing to play CF, how much of this is Narron's fault for not telling Griffey he's no longer our CF? Blame Narron for this one. A strong-willed manager would put Denorfia in CF and watch our D improve exponentially. Jerry Narron is not a strong-willed manager.

1. Dunn makes contact. This year, he currently has 92 RBI, so as for that makes contact drives in 80 runs or better guy, I think we have that player and his name is Adam Dunn. Get off the trade Dunn bandwagon now and save yourself.

If there were a better list of 5 things the Reds could do to run themselves in the ground, I'm not sure where to find it. Congrats, in 5 steps, you just set this team back 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Well, that's certainly a list.

In reverse order....

5. Why anyone can be a Narron supporter boggles the logical mind. He's a horrible manager who's never had a winning record, IIRC. He's the solution to all our issues.... He hasn't even come remotely close to doing his best with what he's had to work with. Benching EE for that month, or however long it was is seriously criminal.

4. So we put Jason Schmidt, an aging Jason Schmidt at that, in our rotation, lock him up with a worse than Milton-esque contract, and still don't have a bullpen to give us 3 good innings a night. Sweet, we can expect 750 IP from Schmidt, Harang and Arroyo combined.

3. Hatteberg is clearly a pop and judy hitter, when you were probably looking for the phrase "punch and judy". Close. Actually, the Hatteberg/Aurilia platoon was one of the brighter spots for us in 2006. Let's definitely get rid of a good thing. While we're at it, we might as well name Elizardo Ramirez Opening Day starter right now....

2. You tell Griffey he's not a team player, and demand he plays LF or RF. Won't happen in our lifetime. While Griffey might actually be selfish by continuing to play CF, how much of this is Narron's fault for not telling Griffey he's no longer our CF? Blame Narron for this one. A strong-willed manager would put Denorfia in CF and watch our D improve exponentially. Jerry Narron is not a strong-willed manager.

1. Dunn makes contact. This year, he currently has 92 RBI, so as for that makes contact drives in 80 runs or better guy, I think we have that player and his name is Adam Dunn. Get off the trade Dunn bandwagon now and save yourself.

If there were a better list of 5 things the Reds could do to run themselves in the ground, I'm not sure where to find it. Congrats, in 5 steps, you just set this team back 20 years.
    Well Highlife I respect your opinion but it sounds to me that you're ready to stand pat.Narron has never had a real good team to manage so you really have no real basis to call him horrible. When he was benching EE Rich was hot and EE wasn't exactly tearing the cover off the ball and was having trouble throwing to 1st. And if you've forgotten He was injured and on the DL for a few weeks so Why you're blaming Narron there I don't know.I'm ready to change managers but I don't blame Narron for that.The Griffey move needs to be made yes but I'm not sold on Denorfia yet.Freel maybe in CF should have been made.
    Jason Schmidt is by far no Eric Milton. The guys been a consistent winner with good numbers every year and why not go for him.It sounds like the team will have some money to spend so give it a shot. At 33 I don't think he's aging over the hill yet . If he were 36 or 37 then no.
    If a guy(Dunn) who strikes out 185 times is a contact hitter than I guess I am wrong. Dunn does draw walks but He just refuses to be aggressive at the plate. How many times has he taken pitches down the middle of the plate on a hitters count 2-0 ,3-1, too many. He has 92 RBIs but only about 7 the last six weeks.weeks.To many unproductive outs not moving runners over or in.His OPS is shrinking badly. For example if trading Dunn can get a good outfielder like Granderson and a good young pitcher in Ledezma from Detroit then I'm doing it.
    The reason I give 1st base to Aurilia next year is I don't think he'll comeback here next year unless he has a position.Hatteburg has been good for the most part of the year but he's tailed off.there really hasn't been a platoon there anyway the last couple months.
    If these Ideas have set this organization back 20 years than I guess I'm sorry.But I don't think so.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

At least we know where John Allen can always find a job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The "this is more of the same" group is certinally entitled to their opinion that this ragime is no better than the Schott, Linder, Allen, Bowden, OBrian, etc etc group that has been around. Kriv has made some squirly moves and we didn't finish in the playoffs. There are areas/decisions that certinally are worthy of critisim.

To me, however, 8 months into the first season, with no previous offseason, is too early to make such a sweeping statement. I'll be interested to see how they handel this offseason. If it's another few months of total inactivity as in the past, then I'd be more inclined to think that things are amiss.

Positive signs for the future?
    Restarted Redsfest
    Changes in fan promotions
    Better operations at GABP
    Open lines of communication with ownership (example: recient "town hall meeting")
    Being willing to DFA deadwood (maybe not soon enough)
    Having the guts to make deals to adress issues (results are far more important than intentions, but I like that Wayne isn't afraid to make a move)
    Dealing with off-field personell in a professional manner (compare how they handled Steve Stewart vs Tony Perez).
    Having ex-Reds at spring training
    Defined progression of pitchers (ie Homer) and thinking long-term instead of short

This is just a list off the top of my head. Some of these things are big deals, others minor. But I see these as major differences with past ragimes
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?