Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Joey Porter's dogs kill neighbor's horse

Joey Porter's dogs kill neighbor's horse

It's just... weird.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

WEXFORD, Pa. (AP) -- Two dogs owned by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter got off his fenced property and killed a miniature horse on a nearby farm, leading to citations that carry several hundred dollars in potential fines.

Porter's dogs, a pit bull and a mastiff, got loose Tuesday and killed the horse that was less than three feet tall. The dogs were still in the dead horse's corral when police and animal control officials arrived, Northern Regional Police Chief Bob Amann said.

Porter helped police get the dogs off the property and back to his home. Because Porter's yard is fully fenced, police did not know how the dogs got loose.

"It was an accident and I am not sure how the dogs escaped," Porter said in a statement. "I have reached out to the owners of the horse and will do whatever I can to help them get through this very unfortunate situation."

The horse's owners have so far declined comment.

Porter was cited Thursday for harboring dangerous dogs, failure to confine the dogs, and failure to have the dogs licensed. The fines carry several hundred dollars in potential fines.

Porter said he raised the dogs as pets and not as attack animals and plans to send them to a kennel in California for safe keeping.

Porter lives in Pine Township, north of Pittsburgh, but officials with the Northern Regional Police said Porter's dogs were licensed in his hometown of Bakersfield, California, not in Allegheny County.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Joey Porter's dogs kill neighbor's horse

As far as I am concerned.... Porter s/b suspended for this weekend's game b/c of this incident. It is the only fair thing to do!

Goes to show you how dangerous some dogs can be. If he is being truthful w/ the comment about raising them as pets, they still have that "wild animal" (for lack of a better term) gene in them.

Sad story. It sounds like Joey is doing his best to make it right w/ his neighbors.

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    As far as I am concerned.... Porter s/b suspended for this weekend's game b/c of this incident. It is the only fair thing to do!

Goes to show you how dangerous some dogs can be. If he is being truthful w/ the comment about raising them as pets, they still have that "wild animal" (for lack of a better term) gene in them.

Sad story. It sounds like Joey is doing his best to make it right w/ his neighbors.
    He has to be lying about raising them as pets. Pits and especially Mastifs are not inherently viscious dogs. It's stuff like this that gives these dogs a bad name!

Dogs are hunters; horses are prey. Raising them as pets and their inherent gentleness applies to their interactions with humans almost exclusively. Dogs primal drive is to take down animals such as mini-horses.

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Dogs are hunters; horses are prey. Raising them as pets and their inherent gentleness applies to their interactions with humans almost exclusively. Dogs primal drive is to take down animals such as mini-horses.
    True, my beagle was always chasing our horses (the full sized-ones) nipping at their legs. She probably would've taken down one of those mini's...

But I bet if had been a german shepard or a lab, the question of how he was raising them would have never been asked.
    Last edited by zombielady; 09-22-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Truth. I saw it with my own two eyes a couple weeks ago. The sweetest, gentlest dog I've ever been around hunted down a rabbit and did some rather disturbing things to it before returning it to me for approval.

A few years "training" can't overcome instinct.

That said, his (or his staff/family's) inability to control the dogs should have serious consequences.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Agreed 100%. Once my lab spots any "game" in the yard, he's off full-tilt.

You're right. Look into the eyes of my avatar and tell me you feel no fear.

She's a monster. A man eater. Not to be trusted.

Edit: I don't mean to make a complete joke. It's sad about the neighbors horse.

We have a Black Mouth Cur, a southern bread hunting dog. Generally used to hunt wild bore and such.

Our sweet little girl has big sad eyes and just loves to cuddle on the couch, curl up and let us rub her belly and genearlly is the sweetest doggie in the whole wide world.

UNLESS.....she is in the back yard and a critter invades her territiory. Then she is a killing machine. She killed a raccoon the other day (which was a total mess by the way). Dogs do what dogs do because they are animials.

It's a shame that some idiots decided it would be cool to fight with pit bulls because it gives them a bad name. Even with good training and never being raised to fight, would I leave a baby alone in the same room with a pit? Uhhhh no. I don't trust hundreds (thousands?) of years of genetics to simply disappear because I rub the dogs belly now and again.

so on a scale of 1 to 10,

How inappropriate would it be for whenever Joey Porter is introduced before a game, everything stops and the music turns to "who let the dogs out?"
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?