Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things You Don't See That Often

For a Level Playing Field

Things You Don't See That Often

Here's a few that are sports-related...

* A football or soccer game that is cancelled after the game has started. Lightning, tornado or a riot... are these the only reasons? These sports play in rain or snow.

* A basketball game that is cancelled after is has started. A riot (some of those European games... or Ron Artest in Detroit)?

* A MLB game that is forfeited. When was the last one... was it Disco Demolition Night in old Comiskey Park (1979?)?

* A #1 college team (basketball or football) getting defeated by an unranked team (not in the top 25). I know that Wright State University beat Michigan State 53-49 in men's basketball in 1999. Cannot recall any others off the top of my head in b-ball or f-ball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things You Don't See That Often

The Red's in post season.

(Hey! You know someone was going to say it. )
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post

True, TC! Add to that any pro football team from Ohio getting to the 2nd round of the NFL playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

* A MLB game that is forfeited. When was the last one... was it Disco Demolition Night in old Comiskey Park (1979?)?
    Sometime in the 80s, L.A. had to forfeit a game to StL because it was ball night and there was a bad call and fans wouldn't stop throwing balls on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

* A football or soccer game that is cancelled after the game has started. Lightning, tornado or a riot... are these the only reasons? These sports play in rain or snow.

* A basketball game that is cancelled after is has started. A riot (some of those European games... or Ron Artest in Detroit)?

* A #1 college team (basketball or football) getting defeated by an unranked team (not in the top 25). I know that Wright State University beat Michigan State 53-49 in men's basketball in 1999. Cannot recall any others off the top of my head in b-ball or f-ball.
    I think Virginia was ranked number one when they lost to Chaminade,an NAIA team at the time. This was in the early 80's when Ralph Sampson was playing. This is considered by many to be the biggest uspet of all time in college basketball.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Michigan State was ranked 6 at the time WSU beat them, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post

We still rebuilding.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think Virginia was ranked number one when they lost to Chaminade,an NAIA team at the time. This was in the early 80's when Ralph Sampson was playing. This is considered by many to be the biggest uspet of all time in college basketball.
    Great one. I remember that. It was in the Maui Invitational tournament (or whatever it was called back then). The only reason Chaminade was there was b/c they were the "host team".

Michigan State was ranked 6 at the time WSU beat them, I believe.
    You are probably right, guttle. I did some checking and MSU was 9-3 when they came into that game at Wright State. Defending NCAA champs IIRC... and that is what threw me! I think guard Mateen Cleaves might have been hurt and out of that game as well.

A certain group of perpetually tortured college football fans prematurely celebrating a victory over a modestly ranked Top 25 football team.

Said fans go so far as to rush the field attempting to extract the goalposts used during this potential victory over a Top 25 team.

Top 25 football team heaves a hail mary pass which is caught. Their receiver proceeds to break about seven tackles and score the winning touchdown as time expires.

Perpetually troubled fans quietly come down from the goalposts when they are told they did not win contest. Eveybody leaves the field in an orderly fashion--including the losing coach who was just showered by Gatorade.

Goalie Fights in Hockey - My all faves Roy vs. Vernon on March 26, 1997 and Roy versus Osgood on April 1, 1998.

Guys with 40 EBH and less then 300 at bats.

Code:
    SEASON
    MODERN (1900-)
    AT BATS <= 300

EXTRA BASE HITS               YEAR     EBH      AB     
    T1   Tim Teufel               1987       43      299   
    T1   Tommy Henrich            1940       43      293   
    T3   Jim Spencer              1979       41      295   
    T3   Matt Williams            1995       41      283   
    T5   Mark McGwire             2000       40      236   
    T5   Larry Walker             1996       40      272   
    T5   Joe Hauser               1928       40      300   
    T5   Todd Hundley             2000       40      299
    Ross is on pace to achieve this

A Cubs World Series title.

Juan Castro making a bad throw.

Junior playing pain-free.

Scott Hatteberg swinging at the first pitch.

Travis Dawkins in a big league uniform.

Brandon Larson webgems.

Ray Olmedo upper deck home runs.

A Reds pitcher pitching a 1-2-3 ninth inning in a save situation.

Major league outfielders using two hands to catch a fly ball.

An actually pick-off throw to third from the pitcher which is probably why you don't often see the fake-to-third-then-to-first gambit work.

I was at that Wright State-Michigan State game, and have the ticket to prove it.

You're right RFA66, Mateen Cleaves did not play in that game due to an ankle injury. He dressed and warmed up, but did not play.

Never in my wildest imagination did I expect to see what I saw that night at the Nutter Center.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I don't know the official rule name for it....

That move when a team thinks a runner missed a base runing around for a home run. So after it's all over and the next batter comes up the pitcher throws over to 3rd base. The ump does the "safe" motion and then the game resumes.

Maybe this works all the time and I miss it but I've never seen it work.

Turn Off Ads?