Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Brass Addresses Fans at Town Hall Meeting

Reds Brass Addresses Fans at Town Hall Meeting

Narron gets bosses' backing
    Reds' brass give thoughts, take suggestions at forum

BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Bob Castellini, who fancies himself as a fans' owner, met with his people Thursday night.

Reds CEO Castellini, general manager Wayne Krivsky and chairman Joe Williams had a town hall-type meeting at the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum.

Castellini got a lot of suggestions from the fans, and most of them will be looked at. He'll see about having an organist at Great American Ball Park full-time and about having a Redsfest session for season-ticket holders. He'll work on bringing the speakers' bureau back, and he'll even think about having a charity event in which fans could toss with players.

But when a fan suggested Lou Piniella replace Jerry Narron as manager, everyone at the head table was quiet.

When pressed a bit later, Castellini said: "The most maligned Reds manager in my lifetime is in the Hall of Fame - Sparky Anderson. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. We care that you care."

Krivsky gave Narron a strong endorsement.

"I can vouch for Jerry Narron being very sharp, very respected. He can fool you with his quiet demeanor. He can lay down the law when he needs to. I've seen it."

Here are some of the night's other highlights:

Castellini on whether the outfield walls at Great American will be moved back: "No."

Castellini on the new stadium for Sarasota, Fla.: "We've really worked hard to let the people in Sarasota know we want to stay there."

"We need a new ballpark desperately," Castellini added. "We're in the throes of making it happen. ..."

Krivsky on the Gary Majewski trade controversy with the Nationals: "It's something we're looking at. We try to keep a low profile. You can read between the lines that we're not real thrilled with how that went down. Ultimately, it will be in the hands of the commissioner."

Castellini on the return of Redsfest: "It's going to be the biggest and most well-attended Redsfest we've ever had."

Krivsky on the coaching staff: "We're evaluating that right now. It will ultimately be Jerry's call."

Castellini on getting an All-Star Game: "We've applied for it. When you get down to it, it's done by the commissioner, so it's a little subjective. The Cardinals just got a new stadium, and they haven't had an All-Star Game since the '60s. They're going to get one before we do. We're on the list; I'm hopeful for 2011. We press the point every time we get a chance."

Krivsky on the decision not to bring up Homer Bailey: "As an organization, we were divided. Some people thought he could really be the guy. Some others were absolutely adamant that he not come up. ... It comes down to doing the right thing for the player. It's his career. ... I thought the risk outweighed the reward."

Williams on the new ownership: "The important thing is to get back to the World Series. We're committed to it."

Castellini on the new radio voice: "Steve Stewart is such a fine person and a good broadcaster, but we felt like we needed an analyst in the booth. ... That's the direction we're heading."

Krivsky on the minor leagues: "Our system is in pretty good shape. I've got to compliment (farm director) Johnny Almaraz and his people. We had a winning record in the minors. We had two teams qualify for the postseason. We had three batting champions. ... You never have enough good players. The one thing I'm most proud of is we got through the year very healthy. In 2005, we had 44 arm surgeries, a lot of them major. This year, we had 14, without one being major. We're doing a lot of things right."

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Brass Addresses Fans at Town Hall Meeting

Thanks for posting that. No big surprise though that Narron is coming back (IMO).

To be honest, I don't like Narron, but there's no point in eating his contract. We need more than a manager to legitimately contend. I can live with Narron next year while we are in transition.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Thanks for posting. Interesting insights. Looks like for sure a former player in the booth with Marty next season. Good to hear there were few injuries in the farm system this season. Wow! 44 last season. That's a nightmare. Also very interesting that they are still pursuing the damaged goods in the Nats trade. I think it should be buyer beware in almost any trade and I like I have stated before I think it was obvious Majewski wasn't healthy at any point this season. I think Krivsky just trying to save some face by pursuing this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Not thrilled with the comments about Narron, but what do you expect them to say? It's not like they are going to say "Yes, we aren't thrilled with Jerry right now and might replace him".
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Not thrilled with the comments about Narron, but what do you expect them to say? It's not like they are going to say "Yes, we aren't thrilled with Jerry right now and might replace him".
    Sure, why not if they are really straight-shooters.
    Win the Division

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I think his response was fairly unequivocal.

"I can vouch for Jerry Narron being very sharp, very respected. He can fool you with his quiet demeanor. He can lay down the law when he needs to. I've seen it."
    Castellini noted that Sparky Anderson was the most maligned manager in his lifetime. Many of us here on RedsZone have suggested that had the Internet and bulletin boards or blogs existed when Sparky was around, we'd be hearing the same thing about him.

Yeah, its not like they are going to announce his firing at something like this. If they intend to fire him at all, then he buys himself time to make a decision rather than putting pressure on Narron over the last couple weeks of play.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

This seems like the thread to start a question that I've been thinking about today. What do you consider to be the key indicators to see if Krivsky is on the right track? One qualification I would like to make is that the ideas not be so general that they amount to "if he doesn't go down this road, then he doesn't know what he's doing."

My first thoughts are these:

New CFer, new RFer. I'm ok with keeping Dunn, but if we have a whole new OF, I'm ok with that, assuming it is an overall improvement on the mound and defensively while not sacrificing overall offensive production. The skeptics ought to have a heyday with this one seeing as how we gave up too much offense for no improvement in defense and pitching on the Kearns/Lopez deal.

New 2b or SS, depending on what they are intending to do with Phillips. I would like to see an above average defender with at least a league average bat. An idea here might be trading dog contracts with the Pirates--Jack Wilson for Eric Milton and a prospect.

Target a closer and put together a package. The free agent market seems to also be a decent place to take a roll of the dice for such an arm.

Get out the sifter in the bullpen. We know Cormier's coming back. My other top keepers are Coffey and Bray, all others are fighting for jobs or trade fodder.

I also might consider cashing in Aaron Harang for younger major league ready arm(s). He has been rode hard and has started to send off signals of injury or simply being worn out already. This would be a hard sell, but he really has me worried and I'm not sure now about a LTC for him.

That ought to get the ball rolling.

At least that is better than the last ownership who you never seen.

We'll see this offseason how committed this new ownership is to winning.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    New CFer, new RFer. I'm ok with keeping Dunn, but if we have a whole new OF, I'm ok with that, assuming it is an overall improvement on the mound and defensively while not sacrificing overall offensive production.

I'm not sure how you would accomplish that. If you take Adam Dunn's offense off this team, you're going to have to get an equally impressive offensive player in return to break even, and to address defense and pitching in the same deal? That's a difficult assignment.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I'm not sure how you would accomplish that. If you take Adam Dunn's offense off this team, you're going to have to get an equally impressive offensive player in return to break even, and to address defense and pitching in the same deal? That's a difficult assignment.
    Notice I said overall. Adam Dunn's offense alone is not easily replacable, but I am looking at the outifield as a unit. Also, I think it is a pretty fair assumption that a deal involving Dunn would bring in enough pitching to improve that area. As for defense, almost any LFer would do that So, no, replacing Dunn is not really what I am getting at, but if doing so to overall improve the contribution in all three areas of the game to negate any dropoff in offensive production, then it is the type of deal to make.

Personally, I feel that the Angels are going to have to give up Ervin Santana if they want to acquire the bat they are looking for.

So, that gets my attention. Knowing that they also have a lot of good, young players that might be expendable, helps out even further.

If the Angels offered me Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick, and a near ready OF prospect like Reggie Willits in exchange for Dunn, I'd have a hard time passing on that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Personally, I feel that the Angels are going to have to give up Ervin Santana if they want to acquire the bat they are looking for.

So, that gets my attention. Knowing that they also have a lot of good, young players that might be expendable, helps out even further.

If the Angels offered me Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick, and a near ready OF prospect like Reggie Willits in exchange for Dunn, I'd have a hard time passing on that.
    How can the Angels justify that much for Dunn? I would take the deal but that sounds like a whole lot from the Angels perspective. I have envisioned a Dunn for Bonderman and Zumaya deal, once again, I don't see anyway the Tigers bite.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    How can the Angels justify that much for Dunn. I would take the deal but that sounds like a whole lot.
    They probably couldn't justify it. I doubt we'd get Kendrick in that deal. Especially since Adam Kennedy is a free agent at the end of the season, and Kendrick is the replacement at 2B. Aybar and Wood would probably be off limits as well.

I do think, if negotiated correctly, we could get more than just Ervin Santana in return for Adam Dunn, though. Ervin Santana, Reggie Willits (a CF not far from the bigs) and another prospect might be do-able.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I would be happy to acquire Rivera and Santana for Dunn. Rivera could go to RF and put up similar numbers that Austin Kearns puts up. You shift Griffey to LF and go with Freel/Denorfia in CF.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?