Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fall Television

Zoinks!

New Fall Television

OK I don't watch a lot of television. Especially the crap that is on the networks these days BUT did anyone see the first episode of Studio 60 on NBC? My first though was "wow". Actual writing and acting on a television network. I was impressed. Anyone else see it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Fall Television

I like "Standoff" pretty well. I have been impressed with Ron Livingston as an actor since Band Of Brothers.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    OK I don't watch a lot of television. Especially the crap that is on the networks these days BUT did anyone see the first episode of Studio 60 on NBC? My first though was "wow". Actual writing and acting on a television network. I was impressed. Anyone else see it?
    You didn't watch The West Wing? Good writing and acting. Same creator, Aaron Sorkin. In fact two main characters played by Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford (West Wing star) are evidently based on Sorkin and director Tommy Schlamme. Plus, Perry character's ex-Christian girl friend is based on Sorkin's ex, Kristin Chenoweth, who was also in The West Wing.

Studio 60 definitely has possibilites.
    teach tolerance.

Studio 60 looks like a really good show. Aaron Sorkin also did another great show that took place behind the scenes of a TV show and that was Sports Night. Another good new show is Kidnapped. That has a good cast with Jeremy Sisto, Timothy Hutton, Dana Delany and Delroy Lindo.

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    I agree about Studio 60; my fiancee and I were blown away by how good it was. I was going to give anything a try that was created by the guys behind West Wing and Sports Night and this one (the first episode anyway) didn't disappoint.

Great casting too; Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford already seem like they've been acting together for years. Nice to see a Judd "Alex from Taxi" Hirsch appearance too.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I am in the minority on Studio 60, I didn't like it. I hope that the rest of the shows are better. I doubt that was the pilot, probably more like a preface to the pilot, providing back story. I did not like any of the characters other then the control room guy. Most notable characters of hatred, Matthew Perry and his character's ex, the TV exec and Amanda Peet's look at me I have the touch of midas character. I watched and wanted to switch the channel the entire show. It did nothing to engage me for all the hype I hope it gets better. Kind of the Drew Stubbs of TV shows.

Jericho falls into the category of couldn't they just have had a miniseries or a made for TV movie? Pretty much a sci-fi channel show. Who in their right mind makes Skeet Ulrich the lead character? The Tony Womack of TV shows.

When is Heroes on? I have seen several commercials for it but the always say check local listings. The Jim Coombs of TV shows.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The Jim Coombs of TV shows.

It takes less than 2 seconds to reach its climax?

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

Jericho falls into the category of couldn't they just have had a miniseries or a made for TV movie? Pretty much a sci-fi channel show. Who in their right mind makes Skeet Ulrich the lead character? The Tony Womack of TV shows.
    It was really predictable, but I didn't hate it.

If you have HBO, they have some good shows. I love The Wire. Rome's first season was good, Entourage is one of the funniest I've seen in awhile. Network shows, pretty much Survivor and CSI are all I bother to watch. Though, I have some sick trainwreck compulsion to check out Ghost Whisperer

Aaron Sorkin is the man.

I haven't bothered with any other shows, when the fall preview article makes it sound boring I choose to skip it
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I saw the pilot about a month ago. Netflix had it available as a rental, in a double feature with the pilot for "Kidnapped."

I never watched The West Wing, either. But Studio 60 seems like a good show.

I'm curious to see the parallel show with Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan.

Kidnapped seems like a good show, too. Although after seeing him in Six Feet Under, it's hard to imagine people trusting Jeremy Sisto's character to rescue their kid from a kidnapper.
    /r/reds

http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/fall06/?d=503

Here is a web link to the first episode of Heroes before it premiers on Monday. Overall I liked the first episode.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    It takes less than 2 seconds to reach its climax?

Come on - including foreplay its 37 seconds. 37 seconds.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Studio 60 came off as a half-breed of the oh-so-serious, self-important West Wing and the irreverent SportsNight (which I still think is Sorkin's finest work). It struck me as odd that the show is about comedy, yet all the characters were joyless, miserable wretches, except for Amanda Peet, who spend the show looking off into the distance and smiling.

I didn't like it. I might give it another chance, but I was unimpressed with the first episode.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Studio 60 came off as a half-breed of the oh-so-serious, self-important West Wing and the irreverent SportsNight (which I still think is Sorkin's finest work). It struck me as odd that the show is about comedy, yet all the characters were joyless, miserable wretches, except for Amanda Peet, who spend the show looking off into the distance and smiling.

I didn't like it. I might give it another chance, but I was unimpressed with the first episode.
    SportsNight was good, but never got into West Wing.

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It struck me as odd that the show is about comedy, yet all the characters were joyless, miserable wretches, .
    I really didn't see that as much of a stretch. A lot of real life comedians/comedy writers are joyless, miserable wretches.

Turn Off Ads?