Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs and Chris Valaika named BA PL Top 20 prospects

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Drew Stubbs and Chris Valaika named BA PL Top 20 prospects

Baseball America just released its top 20 Prospects for the Pioneer League.

Drew Stubbs came it at #7.
    Chris Valaika was sitting at #13.
    No other Reds made the list.

You can read the entire article here.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/262502.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Drew Stubbs and Chris Valaika named BA PL Top 20 prospects

Never mind
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 09-22-2006 at 03:03 PM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

No Dorn? You'd think the best hitter in the league would at least crack top 20.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

The list must be based on the draft and nothing to do with the actual games played (Pioneer League).

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Boy, that Stubbs sure ground his way to the top. Good thing he hustles so much.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Since the scouting report for both players are behind the Subscriber Firewall, I'll summerize.

For Stubbs - High Draft pick, swing raised eyebrows, has trouble w/ pitch recognition & has a long swing at times. But has monstrous power, above average speed and an average arm

For Valaika - Looked like a 1st round talent in college before injury, great contact hitter, good pitch recognition, quick hands, Gap power but not a home run hitter. Lack of range & strong arm will mean a move to 3B later.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

it's also worth noting that BA released the GCL Top 20 prospects list on Wedensday and no one from the GCL Reds squad made the list.

For Stubbs - High Draft pick, swing raised eyebrows, has trouble w/ pitch recognition & has a long swing at times. But has monstrous power, above average speed and an average arm
    Don't know if it was in the chat or the rankings, but they also said he plays great defense in CF and has the toolbox to develop into a Cameron/Hunter type player.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Don't know if it was in the chat or the rankings, but they also said he plays great defense in CF and has the toolbox to develop into a Cameron/Hunter type player.
    You mean something other than a 150 bat ops matters?

Wow, who would have thought baseball was more than just slugging and walking?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

In the chat they mentioned that if Loo had qualified he would have made the GCL list. They said that they love him and his aggressive hitting approach..

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    it's also worth noting that BA released the GCL Top 20 prospects list on Wedensday and no one from the GCL Reds squad made the list.
    Like someone else said, Milton Loo was said to have made the list if he qualified. Another guy that I personally like from the GCL team that didnt make the cut was Josh Ravin. He is a guy I will be paying attention to next year in Dayton (at least I assume he will start there).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Like someone else said, Milton Loo was said to have made the list if he qualified. Another guy that I personally like from the GCL team that didnt make the cut was Josh Ravin. He is a guy I will be paying attention to next year in Dayton (at least I assume he will start there).
    What's your scouting report on Ravin? He is a big kid, who I think had a disappointing senior year, because he was rated as a preseason HS top 50 prospect, but fell to the 5th round. He showed the Reds enough in the GCL to get a promotion to Billings, where he pitched decently.

Ravin has an 89-91 MPH FB that had touched 94 in HS, has a decent change up and a curveball. I like his size, being that he is 6'4" and 195, he will have the ability to pack on some size still.
    One of the reasons he may have fallen to teh 5th round was he missed some time his senior year with an arm injury, but it did not require surgery. He pitched well in the GCL outside of his last outing. Prior to that outing he had an ERA of 2.33, when he was promoted to the PL from the GCL he kept up a very good k rate but his hit rate was much better in the PL and he only allowed 1 HR in his 36.1 innings pitched last year.

Problem with the GCL is that there is basically no coverage whatever of the entire league, so next year is when we will get a really good feel for what Ravin is bringing to the table.

Thanks, DD, for the report. Along with Jordan Smith, Arneson and Derrick Lutz, we have some pitching sleepers among the 2006 draftees who might make the jump to prospect status soon.

Ravin's a young Homer Bailey.

Turn Off Ads?