Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coco Crisp in CF in 2007?

Hybrid View

Coco Crisp in CF in 2007?

check out this site:

http://www.benmaller.com/#mlb_rumors_notes

It seems the Red Sox want to dump Crisp due to a poor 2006.

Could the Reds get him on the cheap?

Would you want him in CF?

Re: Coco Crisp in CF in 2007?

I would take him for the right price. I think a change of scenery would do him good, and I think Boston isn't a good place for a guy like him. With that being said, I'd want Boston to pick up a big portion of the contract, because the guy has been a complete bust there this year.

If the Red Sox get short-sighted on Crisp, I'd love to relieve them of his presence. In fact I expect he'll have a break out season next year.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If the Red Sox get short-sighted on Crisp, I'd love to relieve them of his presence. In fact I expect he'll have a break out season next year.
    My fantasy team was disappointed not to see Melvin Mora among the AL MVP candidates.

I agree that Crisp will have a breakout season next year,but I don't think that'll happen in Boston. I agree that he doesn't belong there. Defensively, he would be a nice upgrade in CF. Not sure where I'd hit him, though. I think Crisp is more of a 2 hole or 6 hole hitter, but I know Jerry would stick him in the lead off spot, or 7th,
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Boston remains focused on figuring out a way to acquire center fielder Andruw Jones from Atlanta, but a first step is for the Red Sox to unload disappointing Coco Crisp and the three-year, $15.5 million extension he was given before playing his first game in Boston.
    -- Rocky Mountain News
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Boston remains focused on figuring out a way to acquire center fielder Andruw Jones from Atlanta, but a first step is for the Red Sox to unload disappointing Coco Crisp and the three-year, $15.5 million extension he was given before playing his first game in Boston.
    -- Rocky Mountain News
    Maybe a LaRue + prospect for Crisp trade would work? Wakefield's option will probably be picked up, though, and that means Doug Mirabelli will probably be back as his personal catcher, making LaRue useless to them.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    -- Rocky Mountain News
    I think Theo Epstein is losing his creativity and perspective with age.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

I think he may be falling into the trap of leaning too heavily on his high payroll to fix problems rather than really looking for solid long term solutions. I'd imagine after the relatively poor year they had that this year will really be a watershed offseason in evaluating Theo as a GM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure that Theo is calling the shots in Boston. And if he is, I'm not sure he called the Coco Crisp shot.

Crisp is absolutely not a leadoff hitter. Maybe if you have a crystal ball you can say he'll be worth that contract next year, but he's done nothing in his career (even 2005) to suggest to me that he's worth it.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure that Theo is calling the shots in Boston. And if he is, I'm not sure he called the Coco Crisp shot.
    I am. I'm not sure about some of the others, but that one didn't happen until after he came back officially. If he didn't have the power to make decisions at that exact moment, he's never had any power at all.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I am. I'm not sure about some of the others, but that one didn't happen until after he came back officially. If he didn't have the power to make decisions at that exact moment, he's never had any power at all.
    Yeah, this article suggests you are correct:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...praise/?page=1

unless Theo was doing a major spin job to cover the organization's back.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

Crisp is absolutely not a leadoff hitter. Maybe if you have a crystal ball you can say he'll be worth that contract next year, but he's done nothing in his career (even 2005) to suggest to me that he's worth it.
    Crisp was an .800 OPS player at ages 24 and 25 (2005 VORP of 30.2 playing LF). He's slumped this year (and I think it's been pretty clear how much that hand has been bothering him all season). Yet his base stealing efficiency has been on a steady improve the last two seasons and he plays solid defense.

So he's got a well-rounded game and it's a fairly safe assumption that as he enters what should be his prime that he should exceed that .800 OPS level he reached in his mid-20s. Would I be interested in a .825-.875 OPS CF with some tools? Uh, yeah, I'd like that quite a bit.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Crisp was an .800 OPS player at ages 24 and 25
    And on OBP of .344. While I realize that a lot of teams employ speedy leadoff hitters with pedestrian OBPs, I don't subscribe to that theory.

It's the one spot in the lineup that leads off over 20% of innings (no other spot in the lineup leads off mor than 10% off innings). Particularly in the NL - where there are few RBI opportunities due to the pitcher - it SHOULD to be a high OBP guy.

I never said I didn't like him. I just said he wasn't a leadoff hitter, and that he hasn't proven he's worth the money.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Red Sox fans like seeing home runs, how about we trade them Eric Milton and they will get to see plenty of them. Too bad they will be for the other team.

Get him and bury him away from the lead off spot, should explode there.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?