Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Root Causes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Root Causes

In looking thorugh the stats in USA Today this morning I was able to identify the following list of players:

Solid or Better Players

Adam Dunn
    Austin Kearns
    BJ Ryan
    Trevor Hoffman

Decent Role Players or Potentially Decent Role Players
    Reggie Sanders
    Aaron Boone
    Brett Tomko
    Chris Denorfia
    Scott Williamson
    Todd Coffey
    Jason Larue
    Brady Clark
    Ryan Wagner
    Jon Koronka
    Ben Broussard

Filler, Fodder and Toast
    Paul Bako
    Chad Mottola
    Chris Hammond
    Rey Olmedo
    Kevin Jarvis
    Dustin Mosely
    Scott Dunn
    Antonio Perez

These are the only guys who I could recognize whose professional careers orginated with the Cincinnati organization. Admittedly I did this in a bit of a rush and might have missed a couple. Please feel free to correct me.

Even if I missed a couple, this is a pretty short list after a season full of guys accumulating stats or getting cups of coffee in the majors and expanding to 40 man rosters on September 1. I have long known that the Reds had been a wasteland when it comes to developing players but I was still surprised at how few even decent players there are.

Lay the blame on Marge. Years of emptiness in the minor league system is what caused the problem. It is the reason for needing filler like Joe Mays in the rotation, worn out vets like Hollandsworth on the bench, over priced signings of marginal players like Eric Milton and desperation moves like the Kearns deal.

Funniest thing about is, about the only thing everyone agrees about on here is the dislike for Dano (myself included). Seems like he did more to fix this in two years than has been done in the last 15.

Something to think about I guess.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-23-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Re: Root Causes

It's even thinner if you take only guys say drafted after 1995.
    A lot of the decent players and toast are longtime veterans.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Add to that the list of players the reds drafted but couldnt sign

Paul Byrd
    Rob Mackowiak
    Lance Cormier

Those could have been good solution to some current problems as well..

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Trevor Hoffman
    The one who got away...

they were smart enough to convert him from infield and magnanimous enough to donate him to the national league

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Lay the blame on Marge. Years of emptiness in the minor league system is what caused the problem..
    And also lay the blame on Allen and Lindner too. They made it worse.

It's amazing that Coffey is the only bullpen arm the Reds currently have on their team that was drafted. Any team should be able to generate a couple bullpen arms and at least one starting pitcher that's a presentable #5.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?