Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It Could Have Been Ours

It Could Have Been Ours

The Astros just swept the Cards to pull within 3.5 games.

Reds 4.5 out

What could have been..............

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Re: It Could Have Been Ours

Not being in the hunt hurts, especially after being so for 130 games. I think the Astros finishing ahead of us adds insult to enjury.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I thought the Reds closed to 4 even and the Astros to 3 with the Cards loss.

The Cards have 3 with the Padres and then close with 4 against the suddenly hot Brewers. To their advantage, they will be at home. Still they have to win 4 of 7 to close out the Reds if the Reds could run the table. Given that the Cards seem to be in one of their funks, it is not that much of a stretch to see the Cards going 3-4 or even 2-5 (if the Pads come in and jump all over them) over that last 7. I don't think the Reds can run the table; but who knows. As you said, it just makes the pill that much more bitter, particularly when the Reds have been playing a glorified AAA line up much of the past week.

'Stros have a make up game in Phillie on Monday then go to Pittsburg and Atlanta for 3 each. The Cards have to win 5 games to close them if the 'Stros could run the table. This could get very interesting.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 09-24-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Wouldn't that just funny if we swept the rest of our games and took the central. LOL. We'd go into a playoff series with really 2 starting pitchers and no closer. It would be brutal. Still would be fun. I don't think the cards are going too far either.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Wouldn't that just funny if we swept the rest of our games and took the central. LOL. We'd go into a playoff series with really 2 starting pitchers and no closer. It would be brutal. Still would be fun. I don't think the cards are going too far either.
    Hope against hope. We'd go into the playoffs with two of our starting three outfielders on the bench, the lack of a shortstop and a pitching staff only a mother could love. Yet, I'd take it as sort of a sign of better things to come. Don't worry, though. I'm sure Jerry the Tar Heel and the lackluster attitude of this team will take care of having any chance at the playoffs.

What could have been. Here's to everyone who kept telling me, as poor management and general management fluttered away game after game, that "it's only one game." Every game is important and every game meant something. Those games Narron gave up on by letting pitchers give many more runs than needed "to save the bullpen" may turn out to be the difference. This was the year and it was blown.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The Cards also have a make-up game to play vs San Francisco IF it ends up being a meaningful game; if not, it won't be played.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

A few IFS that really bug me after seeing the Cards September...

* IF only Kyle Lohse had pitched like a AA pitcher instead of a HS pitcher this month. His 1-4 record and 7.66 ERA this month really hurt. Hurt bad!

* IF only the entire starting staff had continued what they started this month. The first 10 games in Sept. they had a 2.63 ERA and a 0.91 WHIP. The next 10 games (before Harang's CG yesterday) they had a 7.50 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP.

* IF only the offense had played half as good as the bullpen this month. Bullpen w/ a 2.86 ERA in Sept., while the "O" managed 3.29 runs/game.

UGH!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    A few IFS that really bug me after seeing the Cards September...

* IF only Kyle Lohse had pitched like a AA pitcher instead of a HS pitcher this month. His 1-4 record and 7.66 ERA this month really hurt. Hurt bad!

* IF only the entire starting staff had continued what they started this month. The first 10 games in Sept. they had a 2.63 ERA and a 0.91 WHIP. The next 10 games (before Harang's CG yesterday) they had a 7.50 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP.

* IF only the offense had played half as good as the bullpen this month. Bullpen w/ a 2.86 ERA in Sept., while the "O" managed 3.29 runs/game.

UGH!
    It's funny how people were singing Lohse's praises the first few weeks after he was acquired. I hope Zach Ward doesn't come back to haunt us.

Some of the Reds just plain quit. A team in the pennant race plays even if little things hurt. Managers figure out ways to get some innings out of guys who normally don't start games.

I am disappointed (actually I have a quiet rage and if I don't dwell on it I'm ok, but I think this team bothers me as much as the '82 Reds, who I feel gave up early--I mean Tom Seaver doesn't go from cy young to eric milton over a winter--but I digress). It's a 162 game season and I wish some would remember that. I want those Reds who will hurt seeing the Phillies and Cards in the playoffs back, the rest can go to KC for the rest of their careers.
    Win the Division

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It's funny how people were singing Lohse's praises the first few weeks after he was acquired. I hope Zach Ward doesn't come back to haunt us.
    Why wouldn't they? He has a good arm and was pitching very good. He was not just lucky, but was pitching very well. Yes, he tanked, but it is unfortunate that so many posts have to focus on smugly telling anyone who compliments another player at one point or another, irrespective of whether the player can keep it up, "I told you so." I'm more concerned about whether he can be coached up to take advantage of what should be much better results over a full season than he has been able to get with the stuff that he has. It is quite puzzling having watched what he is capable of doing.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    No kidding. I think you and I were the only non-drinkers of that Kool-Aid.

And princeton.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Astros just swept the Cards to pull within 3.5 games.

Reds 4.5 out

What could have been..............
    This team wins the division without "the trade."

Ashes in the mouth.

One game a month...........That is all it would have taken.
    Let's play two!!!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Why wouldn't they? He has a good arm and was pitching very good. He was not just lucky, but was pitching very well. Yes, he tanked, but it is unfortunate that so many posts have to focus on smugly telling anyone who compliments another player at one point or another, irrespective of whether the player can keep it up, "I told you so." I'm more concerned about whether he can be coached up to take advantage of what should be much better results over a full season than he has been able to get with the stuff that he has. It is quite puzzling having watched what he is capable of doing.

Please. It's not that some take issue with cheering on a guy like Lohse to buck his career trends. Every Reds' fan wants a miracle.

It's that some fail to recognize career trends and EXPECT a miracle to occur.

In 999 cases out of 1000, coaching won't help a 27 year old. He's either got it or he doesn't.

This team wins the division without "the trade."
    Yeah, right.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?