Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

  1. #16
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    All the elation and joy I just felt from the win over the Steelers is pretty much gone.

    I feel like reinstalling Photoshop and making a Jackass movie poster with Odell and Henry in the buggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,250

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    They (well 2 of them, the other one was suspended and didn't play) won a football game in the NFL
    It just baffles me that people, when they've got so much going for them, to let this happen...and it's just happening over and over with this team. You guys can pay for a freaking car service, for crying out loud. I'm all for celebration, but the driving? Sheesh. Kids today.

    Reading the article more thoroughly, I see that he was arrested pretty close to where I live. Good times all around.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 09-25-2006 at 06:41 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  4. #18
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    This, from Rotoworld:

    Chris Henry was in Odell Thurman's car when the linebacker got a DUI, and threw up out the window of the vehicle.

    Another classy moment in Henry's career. Thurman, whose locker has already been taken down with the Bengals, said he was only driving because Henry and Reggie McNeal, the car's owner, had more to drink than him.
    Hmmm ... I remember reading this article from the earlier Henry thread ...

    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=48

    Henry resolves gun charge
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    September 12, 2006

    Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry pleaded guilty Tuesday to possession of a concealed firearm in Orlando, Fla., and after serving a day in the Orange County Jail it looks like he may not face an NFL suspension in the gray area of league policy. But if he violates any of the terms of the probation, he’ll go to jail.

    Since the NFL treats alcohol and drug matters differently than personal conduct, the weapons plea isn’t treated in the same category as the guilty plea he had earlier this year for marijuana possession.

    According to papers from the Ninth Judicial Circuit in Orange County, Henry has been sentenced to a two-year probation period in which he can’t consume alcohol while completing 10 hours per month of community service adding up to 100 hours. He may travel to games, but must first get approval.

    The official sentenciong is adjudication of the third-degree felony, which means if he completes the probabtion the guilty plea will be expunged from his record.

    When asked if the club had a response to Tuesday’s events in Orlando, Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said, “The Bengals respect the decision of the court. Chris has admitted his mistake and has pledged his resolve to learn from it.”

    Henry, 23, arrested four times since Dec. 15, was booked on three felonies after waving a Luger at a group of people in a late-night incident in Orlando. He was later charged with one possession of a concealed firearm.

    There is gray area because of the NFL's two different policies governing drug and alcohol and player conduct. The player conduct policy says if a player admits guilt to two criminal violations, he'll be suspended without pay. If he admits guilt in a pending DUI case, set to be heard Oct. 19, in Clermont County, he’s likely looking at what has traditionally been a fine

    According to an Associated Press story, Henry said outside the court, "I'd like to say I know I made a mistake, but I'm just trying to, you know what I'm saying, turn all of this into a positive. I just want to get back to playing football. It's what I do."

    Henry started last Sunday in place of injured T.J. Houshmandzadeh and had one catch for minus-five yards.
    Let's see here ... Henry was in a car at 3am that was being driven by a drunk Odell Thurman. Something tells me that Henry wasn't throwing up because he had the flu, food poisoning or something along those lines. No, the Rotoworld article doesn't straight out say that Henry was drunk, and there is a chance that it may be incorrect, but common sense leads me to believe he most likely was drinking last night.

    Two weeks later, and Henry has already likely violated part of the terms of his probation in which he couldn't consume alcohol for two years. I'm sure he actually violated it earlier than last night for the first time, but it's also just as shocking that it took him only two weeks to get caught.

    Then again, maybe it isn't shocking.

    Way to be, Chris.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Ever since the Bengals franchise has existed, every positive step has been followed by at least one negative. Now I don't remember much past the 88 Super Bowl, but let's see: Reach the Superbowl, Wilson gets caught with drugs, lose the Superbowl, 15 years of futility. Make the playoffs in 05, Palmer gets hurt, guys get arrested in the offseason. Start 06 3-0 beating the Steelers at Pittsburgh, Odell wants to drive around slammed. What else is there? Krumrie getting hurt, Greg Cook getting hurt...the list goes on and on. For once could they get on a positive roll without all this other bs? Oh well, like Marvin said, they are doing fine without him.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    107

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    I just do not understand how players have so much in front of them make more money then most of us in a lifetime in 1 year and just piss all away it does not make me angry just sad for they are the losers not us as fans

  7. #21
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    And the hits keep coming as Peter King reports in today's "Monday Morning Quarterback" column in Sports Illustrated that this past Wednesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell addressed the Bengals on the subject of (drumroll please), "the responsbility of NFL players to be good citizens."

    Stay hot, Odell.
    Not that I'm a Bengals fan but they aren't the only team that needs to be lectured about that. One thing to take into account is the stuff we don't hear about because it is taken care of behind the scenes or a cop doesn't want a big time player to get into trouble.

    That's interesting, Cyclone. Chris Henry seems to live a charmed life. He gets in trouble at West Virginia and still manages to make it in the NFL. He gets into some kind of incident where he almost gets his head blown off by a cop and he pretty much skates. No suspension or anything. Perhaps the terms of his probation are that he cannot drink in the state of Florida. Or if they do revoke his probation and he ges to jail, it will be after the season.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  8. #22
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Chris Henry seems to live a charmed life. He gets in trouble at West Virginia and still manages to make it in the NFL. He gets into some kind of incident where he almost gets his head blown off by a cop and he pretty much skates. No suspension or anything.
    As long as he can get open, catch the ball and score TDs. Those are the important things, I guess!??! Lets hope it doesn't end up costing him or someone else their life.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  9. #23
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    I find the sanctimonious attitude of the NFL a bit much. Preach all they want about "the privilege of playing in the NFL," but the money they generate from the very substance that they are damning players to hell with helps fill the coffers of all those wagging their fingers, which in turn they use to make young, immature, spoiled men rich. Hypocrisy is putrid even if it is sitting in the owner's box in thousand dollar suits (well, except for Mike Brown, who likely is buying at S&K like me). The help they give? Don't drink or do drugs or you're suspended. Do it again while you're suspended and you're suspended for a year. But where's the reform? And why wasn't Brett Favre suspended for publicly admitting being addicted to pain killers? Odell, Henry and all the other foolish behavior is not excused, but the NFL seems to go far on the punitive side while only giving lip service to the reform side. And punishment without attempting to reform is a shame. Now, of course I have not reviewed the program that the guilty must go through, but I don't recall a player saying "the NFL rehab program saved my career."

  10. #24
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Would it kill them to go out and rent a limo when they want to tie one on?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  11. #25
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,692

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    As long as he can get open, catch the ball and score TDs. Those are the important things, I guess!??! Lets hope it doesn't end up costing him or someone else their life.
    Not if Paul Brown were the coach. I'm just finishing up reading a book on him. He had zero tolerance for any type pf misbehavior. Any player, regardless of who they were, was gone after the first incident that brought embarassment to the team/organization. Released the captain of his team once for drinking and back talking a police officer. The next day, Paul confronted him and asked him if it were true, and he said yes. Paul told him to clean out his locker.

    But the point was - Paul wanted the other players on the team to see it and get the "message". Especially when it involved the CAPTAIN of their team. He ruled and ran a taut ship, and didn't have troubles overall.

    The game has changed. Which is why a guy like Paul Brown wouldn't make it today. The NFL Players Union would be all over him.

    I like Marvin Lewis; but he seems to put team discipline down on the list. But then, alot of today's NFL coaches do too. Players make too much money, and it's too risky to discipline/bench players you rely on weekly to win.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  12. #26
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,692

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I find the sanctimonious attitude of the NFL a bit much. Preach all they want about "the privilege of playing in the NFL," but the money they generate from the very substance that they are damning players to hell with helps fill the coffers of all those wagging their fingers, which in turn they use to make young, immature, spoiled men rich. Hypocrisy is putrid even if it is sitting in the owner's box in thousand dollar suits (well, except for Mike Brown, who likely is buying at S&K like me). The help they give? Don't drink or do drugs or you're suspended. Do it again while you're suspended and you're suspended for a year. But where's the reform? And why wasn't Brett Favre suspended for publicly admitting being addicted to pain killers? Odell, Henry and all the other foolish behavior is not excused, but the NFL seems to go far on the punitive side while only giving lip service to the reform side. And punishment without attempting to reform is a shame. Now, of course I have not reviewed the program that the guilty must go through, but I don't recall a player saying "the NFL rehab program saved my career."
    I personally think alot of these players brought the problems with them when they came to the NFL. Sure, the big money and the fame may have exasperated the situation; but joining the NFL isn't what forced these guys to carry guns, hang out in their old neighborhoods where gangs, crime, and drugs, are still a huge problem.

    IMO, it's a maturity issue, and the lack thereof. Something they never possessed maybe?

    I just find it interesting that you hear how poor people, espeically blacks, are basically "trapped" in dire economic situation with little or no hope out of it - and yes, there is truth there - but when these guys are given that opportunity, they somehow can't see the light and escape it. They are still having a hard time "righting" their lives and are drawn back to it.

    And I don't believe it is because they are stupid, or due to their ethnicity.

    I believe it is a far deeper socio-economic problem, that has behavioral habits engrained in these young men lonnng before they entered the NFL.

    And yet we expect the NFL to solve/correct the problem that we as a society as a whole have not been able to do?

    And can we as a society do it? It can't simply be a matter of economics alone (making more money), because these guys are making more money then you and I will see in five lifetimes.

    This, in and of itself, could be a solely different discussion. But IMHO, we, as a society, don't stress personal responsibility and accountability like it needs to be. It's always someone elses fault.

    And yes, I am going to throw it out there because I think it is a huge factor - the breakdown of family, and alot of fatherless children.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-26-2006 at 08:00 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  13. #27
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I personally think alot of these players brought the problems with them when they came to the NFL. Sure, the big money and the fame may have exasperated the situation; but joining the NFL isn't what forced these guys to carry guns, hang out in their old neighborhoods where gangs, crime, and drugs, are still a huge problem.

    IMO, it's a maturity issue, and the lack thereof. Something they never possessed maybe?

    I just find it interesting that you hear how poor people, espeically blacks, are basically "trapped" in dire economic situation with little or no hope out of it - and yes, there is truth there - but when these guys are given that opportunity, they somehow can't see the light and escape it. They are still having a hard time "righting" their lives and are drawn back to it.

    And I don't believe it is because they are stupid, or due to their ethnicity.

    I believe it is a far deeper socio-economic problem, that has behavioral habits engrained in these young men lonnng before they entered the NFL.

    And yet we expect the NFL to solve/correct the problem that we as a society as a whole have not been able to do?

    And can we as a society do it? It can't simply be a matter of economics alone (making more money), because these guys are making more money then you and I will see in five lifetimes.

    This, in and of itself, could be a solely different discussion. But IMHO, we, as a society, don't stress personal responsibility and accountability like it needs to be. It's always someone elses fault.

    And yes, I am going to throw it out there because I think it is a huge factor - the breakdown of family, and alot of fatherless children.
    I guess what I was saying more than anything is that if the NFL wants to send something other than a message of hypocrisy, quit filling the league coffers with money derived from the primary sponsors, who are sellers of alcoholic beverages. It is about like telling the workers at an Anheuser Busch plant not to abuse alcohol.

  14. #28
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Where is this man's entourage?! Isn't that what they are for, to find him attractive women, access to liquor, drugs....and a ride home?

    Very dissappointed.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  15. #29
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,692

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess what I was saying more than anything is that if the NFL wants to send something other than a message of hypocrisy, quit filling the league coffers with money derived from the primary sponsors, who are sellers of alcoholic beverages. It is about like telling the workers at an Anheuser Busch plant not to abuse alcohol.
    I'd just settle if they'd cut down on the NFL sponsored Peyton Manning commercials every Sunday. I'm tired of seeing his mug every 15 mintues!

    But it's the society we live in tr.

    Smirnoff creates a commercial pushing their product showing people partying their brains out, getting wild, and then at the end adds a disclaimer telling people to drink responsibly. They covered their butts.

    Not too many youths, whom these adds target primarily, ever drink responsibly.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  16. #30
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Odell Thurman - Jackass2 (Not a Movie)

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'd just settle if they'd cut down on the NFL sponsored Peyton Manning commercials every Sunday. I'm tired of seeing his mug every 15 mintues!

    But it's the society we live in tr.

    Smirnoff creates a commercial pushing their product showing people partying their brains out, getting wild, and then at the end adds a disclaimer telling people to drink responsibly. They covered their butts.

    Not too many youths, whom these adds target primarily, ever drink responsibly.
    When the beer ads start running commercials like showing someone with their head in the toilet, then on the side of the toilet, quickly followed by head in the toilet again, then they might be onto something. Or maybe one with the guy who finds himself going up the hill on the side of the road to take a whiz who is unable to stop himself going back down the hill. Or the guy waking up next to the girl he doesn't know I just imagine those wouldn't be quite as good for business.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25