Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Would you deal with the Braves this offseason?

Would you deal with the Braves this offseason?

Mike Hampton will be back for the Braves next year, and with his contract and Bob Wickman's that they just agreed to, the Braves will likely have to move some contracts. The top two names being mentioned are Tim Hudson and Marcus Giles. Hudson's contact calls for: 6M in 2007 and 13M in both 2008 and 2009- + the deal includes a Mutual Option for 2010 worth 12M or a 1M buyout. Giles' is in his final year of arbitration this coming off season, I believe and made 3.85M this year.

It has been mentioned that the Braves would like to get a solid bullpen pitcher for Giles. No word was mentioned on what they would want for Hudson.

We have needs at 2B and SP this offseason. Would you have interest in either player?

Would you try and move Jr to the Braves for Hudson? The Red Sox are apparently going to give all they can to try and acquire Andruw Jones this offseason. Jr. could be a replacement for Jones in ATL. Would you offer Majewski and a prospect for Giles?

I think I'd prefer a trade for Giles. Hudson is going to make a lot of cash in the upcoming seasons and his WHIP has risen, while his K/9 have dropped the last few years. He's not the same pitcher he was in Oakland, IMO. Giles provides good defense at 2B (and would be a good compliment for Phillips at SS). I think if you let Giles lead off and put Dunn in the 2 hole, you'd have a lot of guys on base for Edwin to drive in.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Would you deal with the Braves this offseason?

I'd be thrilled to get Giles, particularly if Majewski is all it took. Hudson doesn't thrill me simply because of that 13 million, but he is an extreme ground ball guy. His control issues scare me more than his K rate. In any case, we'd get him cheap in '07 and likely deal him after the season if he proves not worth the salary as it's only 1 year left on the deal. Even if we couldn't deal him, I'd much rather give Tim Hudson 20 Mil over 2 years than Jason Schmidt or Barry Zito 50 Million over 4 like they're likely to get.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-25-2006 at 01:14 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'd give them any pitcher in our bullpen for Giles. Unfortunately, I doubt that the Braves would accept it.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Jr., Majewski, Hatteberg, and Lohse maybe?

Oh man that'd be sweet.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Why would Jr. want to go to Atlanta? A team that is going to finish with a worse record than the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?