Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Playoff pinata

Playoff pinata

Alright, I'm starting a general postseason thread, because Minnesota clinched a playoff spot tonight (their win coupled with Chicago's loss). So we've got New York, Detroit, and Minnesota all guaranteed in the AL, with Oakland all but officially guaranteed. So the final week drama in the AL is pretty much to limited to who the wild card will be.

The NL provides a little more excitement, as I'm sure we're aware, with the Mets guaranteed but the rest still a little squidgy.

So...

1. I think the fact that Minnesota is in the playoffs is pretty extraordinary and almost overlooked. I am a die-hard Yankees fan and am rooting for them til the death, but I can't help being excited by this. They have a very young and terrific pitching staff and very few people counted them in ahead of Boston (who, by the way, have fallen behind Toronto). I'll be rooting for them til they face the Yankees...and frankly, with their pitching in a short series, I have no desire to see them face the Yankees in the first round. The Tigers are actually not too far removed from all this, though I don't feel as strongly about them...I guess there is still a part of me that hopes that Krivsky is related to this, somehow, long shot though that may be.

Thoughts? Who would you all like to see be the winner of the AL Central vs. the wild card? Does anyone think that the Tigers peaked too early while Minnesota is just hitting its stride, or is Detroit a stronger team all around? Do you feel that you're being punished by having to watch another playoff game in that godforsaken Metrodome, or would it be a "nice" farewell to a "historic" ballpark? Do you, like some other nameless folks, feel that Torii Hunter could singlehandedly save small children from deranged dinosaurs if it came to that (provided he was healthy)? Are you all impressed that three out of four of the teams probably in the AL playoffs have very cleverly and somewhat cheaply built teams...while the other is the Yankees, who, despite the paychecks they issue, still warrant very true love from some? Discuss.

2. IF (and it is still IF), the Reds are officially knocked out of the NL race, what are your thoughts on the league entirely? Did the Mets come out too gangbustery and are due for an injury-aided downfall, or are they still the class of the league? Will you kill yourself if, after all this season, Houston ekes out a playoff spot and capitalizes on its pitching through short playoff series? Can anyone really get excited about the NL West, a division which allowed a terrible Padres team to win it last year and may yet let them win again...and may produce TWO teams for the playoff pinata to boot? How do you feel about the Phillies? How would the Cards survive the playoffs? Discuss.

yeah, I had drinks with my cousins tonight, and yeah, I have playoff fever. Spread it.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Playoff pinata

If Houston squeaks into the playoffs, I will admire them.

Naturally, during the season, I always root against Houston, since they are the Reds' opponent, but I respect that franchise. They and StL are miles ahead of the Reds, and are worthy of admiration, IMO.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Re: Playoff pinata

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    They and StL are miles ahead of the Reds
    Wrong, Houston is 1 game ahead

Turn Off Ads?