Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie-Breakers

Tie-Breakers

I found this article about MLB's tie-breakers. It's a bit complex but in a nutshell if the Cards, Astros and Reds finished tied at season's end then there would be a mini-tournament to determine the NL Central winner. The three teams would be seeded according to their record against each other. I believe this would give the Reds the advantage as the Cards and Astros would play game one (Monday) and the winner would play the Reds the following day (Tuesday) to determine the division winner.

http://www.baseball-analysis.com/art...articleid=2293

Sad thing is that even if this occurred Harang is scheduled to pitch Saturday and Arroyo Sunday. Who would start the most important game of the season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tie-Breakers

If I heard correctly someone has to play San Fran in a make up game on Monday for a game that was rained out earlier. That would occur that Monday first......I think.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If I heard correctly someone has to play San Fran in a make up game on Monday for a game that was rained out earlier. That would occur that Monday first......I think.
    That is right if either the Reds or Astros are within a half game of the Cardinals after Sunday the Cardinals have to play a make up game with the Giants on Monday. Then any one game playoff would have to be played on Tuesday.

A tie-breaker between the Reds and Cardinals would be played in St. Louis. That was decided by a previous coin flip. Tie-breaker sites involving the Astros have not been figured out yet probably because just a week ago the Astros were 9 games back.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think ESPN said an Astros/Cardinals tie break would be in Houston.

Cincy/Houston probably hasn't been thought of since the Reds no longer exist, in ESPN's world.

They should base these one game playoffs on head-to head seasonal record against each other, and use a coin-flip if that record happens to be an even split.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-26-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Sad thing is that even if this occurred Harang is scheduled to pitch Saturday and Arroyo Sunday. Who would start the most important game of the season?

Steve Parris?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Harang and Arroyo start on Friday and Saturday.

Harang would pitch Tuesday on 3 days rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Harang and Arroyo start on Friday and Saturday.

Harang would pitch Tuesday on 3 days rest.
    Actually, if it was a 3 way tie the Reds wouldn't play until Wed. and Harang could go on normal rest.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Actually, if it was a 3 way tie the Reds wouldn't play until Wed. and Harang could go on normal rest.
    IF

What happens in a 3-way tie?

So, yes it is a huge longshot, but how is a 3-way tie broken?

Re: What happens in a 3-way tie?

If the wild card came out of the East or West, I think there would be a 3 way playoff between the Central teams. If the wild card came out of the Central, which looks like a long shot, the Reds would win the division because of best head to head record against HOU and StL and the latter two would have a playoff for the wild card spot.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

So, would team A play team B with the winner playing team C? Since we have the best head to head record, would we be team C?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRock View Post
    So, yes it is a huge longshot, but how is a 3-way tie broken?
    My understanding is that there is a coin flip. Team 1 plays team 2. The winner plays team 3. The winner of that game wins the division.

Yes, its not fair because team 3 has one game less to win...but that's how it is, IIRC.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Basically you would have a makeup game between the Giants and Cardinals on Monday. Then 2 of the 3 teams would play a playoff game on Tuesday. The winner of that game would play the 3rd team on Wednesday and that winner woud go to the playoffs.

As far as where these games are to be played. If the Reds and Cardinals are in a playoff game it will be in St. Louis. If the Cardinals and Astros are in a game it will be in Houston. So far I don't think they have done a coin flip to see where a game between the Reds and Astros would take place.

All I have to say about that possible scenario is...whoa.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?