Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF we are able to pull off a miracle this last week of the season

IF we are able to pull off a miracle this last week of the season

I know that that is a BIG IF...but if we are able to pull off the miracle this last week of the season and win out and the Astros and Cardinals basically lose the rest of their games, yes it seems improbably but hey this is the real life and anything can happen....where would this rank in the history of Reds baseball of some of the greater things that have happened??? I know it doesn't rank up there with some of the World Series and/or Pete Rose's 4192...but where exactly would this fall? Just curious....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: IF we are able to pull off a miracle this last week of the season

probably not because nobody seems to care. The Reds would just be embarrassed by 15K of empty seats for a playoff game.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    probably not because nobody seems to care. The Reds would just be embarrassed by 15K of empty seats for a playoff game.

Would you blame most people when in reality the Reds gave up a month ago? This team could easily be in first place right now if they hadn't given up. The really sad thing is that before Milton went down I felt that we had a decent 1-3 pitching staff. Yes Milton was the weak link but he kept us in the game. Even if we won every game from here out we would be minus a lot of players that we would need for the playoffs including Milton, Griffey and Freel.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

A person would have to look closely at why we are winning games at this time of year ? Thank you Mr. Ross, Deno, Norris and *ack* cough* Clayton and the work of the Pen.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I have been keeping up with the Reds since 1974. My favorite down to the wire regular season was 1979 when we came back from 10 games out in mid July to beat out Houston. This was also the first season without Sparky and Pete.

This down to the wire run would rank 3rd behind 1979 and 1990.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Would you blame most people when in reality the Reds gave up a month ago? This team could easily be in first place right now if they hadn't given up. The really sad thing is that before Milton went down I felt that we had a decent 1-3 pitching staff. Yes Milton was the weak link but he kept us in the game. Even if we won every game from here out we would be minus a lot of players that we would need for the playoffs including Milton, Griffey and Freel.
    the reds gave up ? hmmm or maybe they went thru a rough stretch of losing !there is a difference.in your terms i guess the stl cards have given up because they are going thru this stretch now.
    simply put...by many fans standards , when a team loses late in the season they "give up" when in actuality ...they lost a game(s).
    tho i have questioned narron's choices at times....i have still seen a competitive spirit in the guys.we dont have a qualls,lidge,wheeler,or miller in our bp but guess what....we are one game back of the stros !not bad for a team that gave up a month ago

Just a gut feeling but if we make the playoffs Ryan Freel will be starting game one in RF. Broken thumb or not I seriouslly doubt you are going to keep him out of the line-up.
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    the reds gave up ? hmmm or maybe they went thru a rough stretch of losing !there is a difference.in your terms i guess the stl cards have given up because they are going thru this stretch now.
    simply put...by many fans standards , when a team loses late in the season they "give up" when in actuality ...they lost a game(s).
    tho i have questioned narron's choices at times....i have still seen a competitive spirit in the guys.we dont have a qualls,lidge,wheeler,or miller in our bp but guess what....we are one game back of the stros !not bad for a team that gave up a month ago

This thread picked up a tad bit of steam, regardless, the Cardinals this season are seriously one of the streakest teams that I have seen in quite some time. They either win a whole of games in a row or lose (in excess of 5 games sometimes) a whole of games in a row. I guess it is just the way they are built this season and that can either be a really great thing during the playoffs or one of the worst things ever prescribed for a team during the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Just a gut feeling but if we make the playoffs Ryan Freel will be starting game one in RF. Broken thumb or not I seriouslly doubt you are going to keep him out of the line-up.

I second that motion ten times over!!!!

Last night, Andy Furman said if the Reds play another game in Great American Ball Park this year, he will shave his head on the mound.

GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Last night, Andy Furman said if the Reds play another game in Great American Ball Park this year, he will shave his head on the mound.
    Just me... but I'd rather see Andy have his mouth surgically sewn shut.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    If a miracle does happen are you willing to bet me $1,000 that your prediction will not happen in the 1st playoff game played at the GAB? 15K or more not there and you win.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but didnt he also say something along these lines back ummm.....oh around 1990.(only "not" in GABP).seems to me tony larussa was also involved then.

"if reds sweep a's......"
    Last edited by jmac; 09-27-2006 at 09:33 AM.

If this happens, it will rank number one for me. I'm young and wasn't around for the good times.

Just the fact that we're even contemplating this is amazing considering this team was dead in the water just a week ago.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but didnt he also say something along these lines back ummm.....oh around 1990.(only "not" in GABP).seems to me tony larussa was also involved then.

"if reds sweep a's......"
    YES! I think Rob Dibble ended up cutting his hair. (Good memory on that event!) I am not sure it was Furman though.

GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Turn Off Ads?