Thread: 1964

Re: 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    :valentin:
    You silly silly man -

It's this guy -

:lindner:

He made the big move to sell the team.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    On September 25th we picked up a game and a half winning a doubleheader while the Phillies dropped one more game. I was only 9 years old and I still don't remember this.
    What is this "doubleheader" you speak of?

Pay attention to the open sky

Haunted by walks

It might be time for this link again.

http://www.baseballrace.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    What is this "doubleheader" you speak of?
    In 1964 - that was the topic of discussion - sorry I should have stated that.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    In 1964 - that was the topic of discussion - sorry I should have stated that.
    Awww redsmetz, I was just yanking your chain. I should have put a smiley on it.

Many of the young 'uns around here haven't ever seen a regularly scheduled doubleheader.

Pay attention to the open sky

Haunted by walks

You mean they used to play 18 innings in one day, on purpose? And they didn't charge the fans extra? That can't be true.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    You mean they used to play 18 innings in one day, on purpose? And they didn't charge the fans extra? That can't be true.
    Astros changed that with the first twi night seperate admission contests.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    In 1994 I went to a Minor League Triple Header in Toledo. The night before they had a rain out and then they had a Saturday Twin-Bill - they started about 1pm and went all the way to about 10 or so.

Cool stuff. And I was old enough and stupid enough to enjoy some adult beverages.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I came into this world just nine days after the 1964 World Series ended. My memories are vague at best.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    I came into this world just nine days after the 1964 World Series ended. My memories are vague at best.
    Poor excuse.
    That reminds me of a comment that Winston Churchill once made. Churchill was born less than nine months after his parents were wed, leading to speculation that he had been conceived out-of-wedlock. Churchill stated that while he was present at the time of his conception, he had only a vague memory of the event.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    Muffled voices, some bouncing around, hot dog preservatives in your blood stream?

I remember the 1964 thing. It was terrible. The Reds' position was sort of like Houston's now. If Philly fell out, it was the Reds' to take. Then they got beaten by the Phils the last weekend while St.L won vs. the Mets.

I also remember the Tsitouris selection. Much was written about that choice, then the guy was knocked out right away in a 10-0 game.

It's now 42 years later, but somehow, if the Reds could sneak in, this would be revenge for that season a long time ago. Of course, it's a long shot, but there are obvious similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I remember the 1964 thing. It was terrible. The Reds' position was sort of like Houston's now. If Philly fell out, it was the Reds' to take. Then they got beaten by the Phils the last weekend while St.L won vs. the Mets.

I also remember the Tsitouris selection. Much was written about that choice, then the guy was knocked out right away in a 10-0 game.

It's now 42 years later, but somehow, if the Reds could sneak in, this would be revenge for that season a long time ago. Of course, it's a long shot, but there are obvious similarities.
    Tsitouris showed up that day with his car completely packed and ready to drive home after the game.If I'd been Sisler I would have greeted him with 5 knuckles and he'd been on his way home before the game started.
    Could you imagine him doing that and Billy Martin being the Reds manager.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

The Cardinals certainly seem to be pulling a '64 Phillies, but the NL that year had some real good teams in it.

This NL Central might as well be the 1973 NL East. If people are looking for a "this would make up for that" scenario then rather than getting revenge for 1964, I'd suggest the opportunity would be to avenge the '73 Mets beating a vastly superior and more deserving Reds club. I'd say that's where the Reds' real karma rebound lies.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Cardinals certainly seem to be pulling a '64 Phillies, but the NL that year had some real good teams in it.

This NL Central might as well be the 1973 NL East. If people are looking for a "this would make up for that" scenario then rather than getting revenge for 1964, I'd suggest the opportunity would be to avenge the '73 Mets beating a vastly superior and more deserving Reds club. I'd say that's where the Reds' real karma rebound lies.
    As good as Arroyo and Harang have been, the Reds starters do not favorably compare to the 1973 Mets trio of Seaver, Matlack and Koosman, nor do the 2006 Reds have a McGraw in the bullpen. The Mets pitching totally shut down the Reds hitters in the 1973 NLCS, with the exception of Pete Rose.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?