Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deno and Hopper

Deno and Hopper

Getting those base hits. Seven tonight. Now we are seeing what they did in AAA. Not sure either is an everyday guy, probably Hopper isn't, but starting to think they both could stick next year.

Are they just September wonders?

Is Freel becoming trade bait?

Against lefties, should Deno and Hopper hit first and second?

While home runs are great, isn't it nice to see the Reds hit some singles and doubles for a change?

Doesn't Hopper have a knack for seeing-eye base hits?

Really enjoyed watching them tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deno and Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Getting those base hits. Seven tonight. Now we are seeing what they did in AAA. Not sure either is an everyday guy, probably Hopper isn't, but starting to think they both could stick next year.

While home runs are great, isn't it nice to see the Reds hit some singles and doubles for a change?

Doesn't Hopper have a knack for seeing-eye base hits?

Really enjoyed watching them tonight.
    Way I see it honestly is couldnt hurt to give these 2 a shot Deno in cf and use hopper as a spare OF'er heck we started with MCyackin and Griffey needs to go Honestly. He is a dh and I want him to play alot he is a class act and needs to play DH. His legacy is set and just needs an exciting ending . It can not be done here. In the best interest of his career let him make a deal for whom ever his agent can stir up interest from.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I hope Deno is in Cf on Opening Day 2007, with KGJ in RF and Dunn in LF.

I'd rather see Dunn at 1B but could live with that OF.

Sean Casey also had a knack for seeing-eye grounder base hits.

Those seeing-eye base hits have a bad habit of winking their way into double plays.
    I'll take my chances with hitters who drive the ball.

The title of this thread sounds like a 70's TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    The title of this thread sounds like a 70's TV show.
    I'd watch.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Deno has hit at every level. Very consistent. Look at his lines at Louisville and its one, two hits every night. Month by month...no big slumps.
    Hopper's record isn't quite as good, added to the fact he doesn't have ANY power (no HR at AAA).

I wish Narron would have stuck with Deno after Kearns was traded, whatever the result. But he was benched after a fielding mishap and didn't get steady PT until now.

If he brings something of value back, he should be traded.

Only against lefties? Better question is: should Clayton hit anywhere but 8th.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Good post, oneupper.

A quick glance at Denorfia's splits, and in 41 September plate appearances we see that he's hitting .368/.400/.526, which is good for a .926 OPS. Offensively, he's been one of the Reds best hitters since he started getting some regular playing time in the last week or two.

Now, while I don't think a .926 OPS is something to expect out of Denorfia, I do think what he's shown this month is much more indicative of his offensive capabilities than what we saw earlier this season in sporadic playing time.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Good post, oneupper.

A quick glance at Denorfia's splits, and in 41 September plate appearances we see that he's hitting .368/.400/.526, which is good for a .926 OPS. Offensively, he's been one of the Reds best hitters since he started getting some regular playing time in the last week or two.

Now, while I don't think a .926 OPS is something to expect out of Denorfia, I do think what he's shown this month is much more indicative of his offensive capabilities than what we saw earlier this season in sporadic playing time.
    Deno didn't hit under .324 in any single month at AAA. He hit righties (.385 )better than lefties .311. Hit well at home, hit even better away, hit well in the daytime and hit well at night. .389 when BEHIND in the count. .361 with runners on, .326 with RISP.

When the reds were slumping (which they STILL are) poor performances against RHP in DAY GAMES, on the ROAD with pitchers who could get ahead of hitters were the norm.

Too late now, but we could have used this guy.

As for Freel, his inconsistency at the plate this year has been extreme.

Sizzling hot in June and July (OPS .994 and .963), freezing cold in August and september (.601 and .613).

Not exactly what you want from a leadoff guy.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Given the likelihood that Aurilia opts out, I'm surprised that Freel is being seriously considered as next year's answer at 2B. I know his defense is probably average at best, but the FA options aren't realistic.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Given the likelihood that Aurilia opts out, I'm surprised that Freel is being seriously considered as next year's answer at 2B. I know his defense is probably average at best, but the FA options aren't realistic.
    Won't happen under Narron.
    It looks like Brendan and Brandon in the middle for 07.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Won't happen under Narron.
    It looks like Brendan and Brandon in the middle for 07.
    That was Welsh's prediction last night.

I think folks are underselling Mr. Hopper. As a fifth outfielder and righty pinch hitter, I like him. Has some speed. Can't compare him to Casey, as someone did, since Hopper has good speed and shouldn't hit into too many DPs.

The Reds have several guys who hit for power and don't make consistent contact. Dunn, Phillips are two examples. I like the idea of Hopper and Deno (just changed the title of the TV show) to counterbalance.

Hopper reminds me of a slower version of Juan Pierre. He might hit for a decent avg and will make contact, but he won't walk much, and won't hit for any power at all. Maybe Alfredo Amezaga is a better comp. I agree he might be a decent 5th OF as a PR, PH, or defensive replacement, but any talk of him starting should be squashed.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Not taking anything away from Hopper, but the guy is on a hot streak. He ended AAA hot and has continued to hit after he was brought up.
    Was the IL batting champ (Deno didn't have the ABs to qualify he was busy on the REDS bench) and was named Louisville MVP.

Even with all that, Deno's OPS at AAA was 124 points HIGHER than Hopper's. (.893 vs. .769).

Hopper as a Spare OF? Yep.
    Deno should have the first shot at starting, though.

Deno ripped the ball 4 times last night, against a team "still in it'.....3 of them off Dontrelle Willis. That's not the stuff September call-ups are made of.

Hopper doesn't do much for me....other than rank high on the scrappy scale. If you have Freel and Deno (and possibly Harris) next year, I'd rather have a left handed outfielder w/ some power as the 5th outfielder.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?