Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jay Gibbons Hits Wife With Foul Ball

Jay Gibbons Hits Wife With Foul Ball

BALTIMORE -- The odds of such an occurrence seem insurmountable, yet Jay Gibbons pulled off the unimaginable feat: He hit a foul ball that injured his wife.

The scene occurred in the ninth inning of the Baltimore Orioles' game against Minnesota on Saturday. Gibbons fouled a ball straight back over the screen and into the rib cage of his wife, Laura.

"She's just a little bruised up. She's going to be OK," Gibbons said Sunday.

Long before the matter became personal, Gibbons had asked team officials to do something about making it safer to sit in the seats behind the plate. He contended that the 20-foot screen just doesn't offer enough protection from hard-hit foul balls.

"It's something you think about every day here. Obviously, it's something I've talked about [to] deaf ears," said Gibbons, Baltimore's designated hitter and player representative. "I've got players coming to me every day saying that one of their family members got hit or almost got hit. I had an usher take one for my wife the other day."

Gibbons has suggested that the screen be raised or that the team insert an overhead screen that would extend to the back of the lower deck.

"If they're worried about the sight line, which I've heard, all they have to do is throw a net straight back. One of these days, somebody's going to get hurt really bad. That's all I've got to say," Gibbons said. "I'm confused on what's going on [and] why it's so hard just to make an adjustment. It's just a matter of time where a kid's going to get hit."

Gibbons has also inquired about the possibility of a day care center, so the players' wives don't have to put their kids at risk.

"It's either come to the game and play Russian Roulette with your 3-year-old or stay home," Gibbons said. "That's what we're dealing with. Or move the family section, but then you've got other fans that are endangered."
    What are the odds of that?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Gibbons Hits Wife With Foul Ball

Definitely not your every day occurance.

Well which was more likely that ^ happening or the Reds coming back to make the playoffs? Maybe it was an omen.

At least he's not hitting his girlfriend in the ribs with a foul ball.

I had an usher take one for my wife the other day.
    Best Line of the Year By A Concerned Major League Baseball Player.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Let me get this straight. He hit a foulball that went over the backstop screen and hit his wife? Was she even watching the game?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

And a year or so from now when Jay forgets to take out the trash and an argument ensues, Laura Gibbons ends the argument with this showstopper: AND you hit me with a baseball!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?