Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a modern miracle this team is mathematically IN it at all?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GOREDSGO32

It's a modern miracle this team is mathematically IN it at all?

How amazing? Forget the fact that the Reds are ONE UNDER .500, forget the fact that they were declared dead. But get this - The Reds run differntial is 731 run scored and 781 runs given UP!!! They are FIFTY runs below their opponents on the year! And earlier this year I heard no team has made the playoffs with a NEGATIVE run differential! Not only try negative .. but 50 under!

Re: It's a modern miracle this team is mathematically IN it at all?

If a miracle happened and they made the playoffs you sure won't find me apologizing for it. I'll just be rooting for them like crazy EVERY game they play!!

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    How amazing? Forget the fact that the Reds are ONE UNDER .500, forget the fact that they were declared dead. But get this - The Reds run differntial is 731 run scored and 781 runs given UP!!! They are FIFTY runs below their opponents on the year! And earlier this year I heard no team has made the playoffs with a NEGATIVE run differential! Not only try negative .. but 50 under!
    And we are just one of four teams still in it for a division title - Astros, Reds, Dodgers, and Twins. Not too shabby for a team picked to finish last or near thereto. We are also one of only three teams still not eliminated in the Wild Card race (us, Astros, and Phillies). In the Wild Card, our Eliminiation Number is 1 and the Astros is 2.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 09-27-2006 at 05:49 AM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

This team reminds me of the 2003 Bengals. So close, but still with a few holes to fill before they become a serious contender. They're an improvement over previous years and if they somehow manage to get a few of those missing pieces in place they could be something special in a couple years. I hope I'm right. I'm certainly more optimistic than I was a year ago.

You can thank the Cardinals for this "modern miracle"
    "There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare." Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRed View Post

True, but the Reds have won games lately to make up ground.

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed View Post
    True, but the Reds have won games lately to make up ground.

True, you can't make up games unless YOU win.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Well, of course I'm rooting for them, but they aren't exactly "hot." They're 5-5 over the last 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRed View Post
    And the Cardinals can thank the Reds for the West Coast disaster, it all has a way of evening out.

It's ludicrous for a sub-.500 team to be in contention for a playoff spot. It doesn't feel right at all.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It's ludicrous for a sub-.500 team to be in contention for a playoff spot. It doesn't feel right at all.
    It just seems so strange that whoever wins the division will likely do it with a record that wouldn't give them 2nd place in ANY other division. And would put them in 4th place in a couple of them, maybe even all 3 AL divisions.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

part of BBN

while in "contention"....it seems odd but the if the reds claimed the playoff spot their record will be above 500.

also it is who gets hot when:
    say the reds go 4-1 in last 5 and finish with astros 82-80 and a game or 2 back of stl."if" jr could return for playoffs,i would say the reds (jr,EE,BA, harang,dunn) or astros(oswalt clemens berkman) may cause more worry on opposition than stl "right now".basically they are pujols and a tired carpenter.

Nobody seems to compain in the NFL if a team makes the playoffs at 8-8 and there are always multiple teams in the NBA playoffs under .500. I don't care what their record is....if they make the playoffs, I will be fired up.

Here are some front row, left field seats for Sundays game.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pirates-v-Reds-1...QQcmdZViewItem
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed View Post
    Nobody seems to compain in the NFL if a team makes the playoffs at 8-8 and there are always multiple teams in the NBA playoffs under .500. I don't care what their record is....if they make the playoffs, I will be fired up.
    Show me the last time a professional baseball team won 87.5% of their games. Football is just a tad different. A few plays can be the difference between a .500 winning percentage and a .625 winning percentage. In baseball that's the difference between the Reds and Yankees.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?