Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds' Notebook: Weather's coming back? Great Dunn quote and more

Reds' Notebook: Weather's coming back? Great Dunn quote and more

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Weathers in dark about 2007 return
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

MIAMI - David Weathers would like to come back.

"But I've always said: You can't sign yourself," Weathers said.

The right-hander, who turned 37 Monday, is a free agent after the season.

The Reds have a long list of potential free agents: right-handers Weathers, Ryan Franklin and Jason Johnson; outfielder Todd Hollandsworth; shortstop Royce Clayton; and left-handers Scott Schoeneweis and Kent Mercker.

General manager Wayne Krivsky is deliberately vague when talking about free agents. He quietly re-signed Scott Hatteberg, Javier Valentin and Juan Castro.

What about Weathers?

"We'll see," he said. "I've talked to a few guys. We got something done with Hatteberg, Valentin and Castro. I don't want to go down the list, one by one. You can't keep everybody. It takes two people to get a deal done. There has to be mutual interest."

Weathers said he hasn't heard anything from the Reds.

"As a player, when you get to the point where there's six days left, you say, 'Why not look at free agency?' " Weathers said. "Once the season is over, if you're healthy, it's tempting to see what's out there. I feel like someone would have approached us if they wanted us back."

Weathers, all in all, has pitched very well this year. He has converted nine of his last 10 save opportunities. He's 4-4 with a 3.59 ERA and 12 saves. He worked two innings Tuesday in the Reds' 5-3 win, allowing one unearned run.

"I had three or four outings in the middle of June that really skewed a lot of things," he said. "I was having a really good year until then."

Actually, two outings were ERA killers for Weathers. He gave up seven earned runs over those outings, in which he retired only one batter. In his other 63 appearances entering Tuesday, his ERA was 2.82.

"I'd love to come back," he said. "If it doesn't happen, I'm sure there's a job out there. It's been fun here."

MINOR STARS: The Reds placed three players on Baseball America's Minor League 14-man All-Star Team. That's more than any other organization in Baseball. Chattanooga right-hander Homer Bailey and first baseman Joey Votto made it, along with Dayton outfielder Jay Bruce.

SHORT ON SHORT: Brandon Phillips was back at second base again Tuesday night.

Phillips made two starts at shortstop Friday and Saturday.

He has started the last three games at second, and the experiment is not over.

"We're just trying to put Rich (Aurilia) and Royce (Clayton) out there," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Phillips has looked fine."

Will we see Phillips start more games at shortstop before the season's over? "You might," Narron said. "You might not."

DUNN FOR FUN: The Dolphins Stadium scoreboard picture of Adam Dunn features a handlebar mustache, presumably part of the stadium's old-time theme.

"I'm going to grow one," Dunn said. "If you're going to play like an ass, you might as well look like one."

JUNIOR IN? The Reds are hopeful that Ken Griffey Jr. will play in the field before the season is over.

"It depends on how he feels," Narron said, "if he can run around out there."

Griffey came off the bench to hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning of the Reds' 5-4 win over the Chicago Cubs Monday.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...70355/1062/SPT
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds' Notebook: Weather's coming back? Great Dunn quote and more

I wouldn't be totally against having weathers back, but would prefer to see a younger option really.

I wouldn't mind a BP of Bray, Scoenweiss and Gardado or Cormier (if we must)from the left side, Coffey, Majewski (unless we can deal him) and a strong armed acquisition from the right side and one from among Belisle, Standridge and Franklin in the long role. I'd also like to see a top of the order starter and a more reliable 4 or 5 spot option to join Harang and Arroyo and (maybe) Lohse..

He soooooo looks like Ron Burgandy.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What kind of possible draft pick compensation are we looking at should all these free agents leave town? Anyone that can help? Interesting if we could get a handful of sandwich picks out of all of it to help restock the farm.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I would think if the Reds wanted to keep Weathers around they would have already given him a new deal like Castro and Javy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Thank heavens we have already dealt with Valentine and Castro. Back up catchers and middle infielders are really hard to find.

Adam must be kidding, he's on pace for 100 ribbies, 100 runs and 100 walks again.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Adam must be kidding, he's on pace for 100 ribbies, 100 runs and 100 walks again.
    I think he's referring to a .192 BA, 5 RBI's, 2 HR's and 10 runs in the last month. I thought it was appropriately self-deprecating.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I'm relatively sure he's referring to how he's been hitting (rather, not hitting) during this late season stretch. It's got to be very frustrating for him... especially when you take a look at the standings right now.

He's really got to step it up to reach 100 RBI. Hopefully, he can do it... helping the Reds to win in this final week of 2006 baseball.

I can't complain (except for the west coast stretch); it's been a ride this season. I truly hope that they break up the west coast trip next year and have them visit at least twice... probably will, especially with Seattle in the mix (the A's too? I can't remember).

We can always say what if about a lot that happened... 20/20 and all that stuff... but they hit those west coast teams when they were hot; the first half of the season might have been a different story. Oh well, if it wasn't that it would have been something different... but wow, if only they'd won just 3-4 more games... if only.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 09-27-2006 at 02:19 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Were you at the game last night?
    My daughter was ALL over the handlebar mustache thing with Dunn...
    she was saying how ugly Dunn looked..(sorry, TB).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

According to Fox Sports.com he's on pace for 95 RBI's.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My daughter was ALL over the handlebar mustache thing with Dunn...
    she was saying how ugly Dunn looked..(sorry, TB).
    I must admit, I don't like it either. I have no problem with well-tended facial hair but have never ever been a fan of the "handlebar"... not even on Rolly Fingers (though he probably wouldn't have looked a whole lot better without it either).

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

I truly hope that they break up the west coast trip next year and have them visit at least twice... probably will, especially with Seattle in the mix (the A's too? I can't remember).
    If they finally get to Seattle, Safeco field might be overtaken by the Portland Redzoners.

I really hope Weathers is back....just not counted on as the closer. If Coffey can improve his control and confidence just a bit...next year will be the year he takes the reigns.

Turn Off Ads?