Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BA: Midwest Top 20

Re: BA: Midwest Top 20

BA has always had a problem with Travis Wood, like he was the devil

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    They do have some kind of Problem with T.
    Who cares. His development is coming along nicely and he loves to prove people wrong a little more fuel for the freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    A little history on this subject. When Travis was 16 he Played in the Area Code games and went to the World Wood Bat Tourny and played for the Mid West Prospect team. (The coaches were scouts from the Chicago White Sox). Then the next year he played with the same team for the Area Code games. That's when BASEBALL AMERICA's team called and asked him to play with them for the World Wood Bat Tourny. but he decided to play with the team he had played with for 2 YEARS. Needless to say they were NOT HAPPY... I hate that for Travis but... Maybe that's why there is NO LOVE for him... Who knows...
    "Life is like a baseballgame. When you think a fastball is coming, you gotta be ready to hit the Change UP"

A little history on this subject. When Travis was 16 he Played in the Area Code games and went to the World Wood Bat Tourny and played for the Mid West Prospect team. (The coaches were scouts from the Chicago White Sox). Then the next year he played with the same team for the Area Code games. That's when BASEBALL AMERICA's team called and asked him to play with them for the World Wood Bat Tourny. but he decided to play with the team he had played with for 2 YEARS. Needless to say they were NOT HAPPY... I hate that for Travis but... Maybe that's why there is NO LOVE for him... Who knows...
    Interesting. Maybe it helps explain why BA's pre-draft evaluation of TW in 05 was so off-base? They called him a fastball-only, high-effort pitcher with no polished secondary pitches (I think there zero mention of his changeup).

Rooting hard for Travis to make BA's rankings look stupid.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    From the BA chat on the Midwest League:

"Wood would have been in the #26-30 range, in part because it's a deep league. His stuff isn't really comparable to McGee's, though. Wood does have that nifty changeup, the best in the league, but his fastball was 87-91 (down from the consistent low 90s he showed as a high school senior) and his curveball was mediocre. The potential is there, sure, but in terms of lefties, Jacob McGee is well ahead of him."
    Hmmmm... strangely consistent with the velocity reports during spring training that I got and posted here. Of course, some of you started an argument about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Hmmmm... strangely consistent with the velocity reports during spring training that I got and posted here. Of course, some of you started an argument about it.
    Velocity was down from last year. I think that had to do with some of the changes that were made in his delivery. I believe that the velocity will come back up next year if he does the work in the off season and I believe he will.
    Also location and development of his curve ball were the priorities of the organization.
    Last edited by FIRELEFT; 09-29-2006 at 12:43 PM.

Velocity was down from last year. I think that had to do with some of the changes that were made in his delivery.
    I was just gonna post that. His delivery changed quite a bit from his draft video to when he pitched in Dayton this year. He's just letting it fly in his draft video, which produced a 91-94MPH fastball. When I saw him this year, his delivery was much more deliberate and controlled, and apparently it hacked off quite a bit of velocity. I guess we'll see what happens next year.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIRELEFT View Post
    Velocity was down from last year. I think that had to do with some of the changes that were made in his delivery. I believe that the velocity will come back up next year if he does the work in the off season and I believe he will.
    Also location and development of his curve ball were the priorities of the organization.
    I'm betting Travis will gain velocity as he finishes growing, etc. For right now, though, I'm impressed with the way Travis held up this season against older competition in his first "full-season" year. He absorbed a couple of beatings later on in the year and bounced right back.

Shhhhhhh....we don't want the OTHER teams to hear. He only allowed 1 run in his last three games, the 1 run was off of 1 hit (and they lost that game btw).

Re: Jay Bruce....Clay Aiken? RU serious? Have you seen him in person ever? LMAO????

Turn Off Ads?