Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Hacks

Baseball Hacks

I have the book. And so far, i'm having problems. Everything has to be finessed and there is very little explanation as to what he is doing and how to go about doing it yourself. Anybody who has it, I would like to ask a few questions regarding certain hacks.

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Baseball Hacks

I've been eyeballing that book for a few months, but haven't taken the plunge and bought it yet. I take it you're not 100% happy with it?

What is Baseball Hacks?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I've been eyeballing that book for a few months, but haven't taken the plunge and bought it yet. I take it you're not 100% happy with it?
    It's good, but peppered with mistakes. Mistakes that if you are not fluent with the systems will cause one to waste time figuring it out on ones own. But it is indeed VERY important book for anyone wanting to get and make use of baseball data of all forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    What is Baseball Hacks?
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/baseballhks/

It's a book put out by O'Reilly publishing (Same group that makes the Hacks series of books - http://www.oreilly.com/store/series/hacks.html ) intended for people who want to build their own searchable stat tools using whats available the internet.

Their website has a better description.

Whether you're a fantasy baseball fanatic, casual fan, or just a statistically inclined mathematician, Baseball Hacks has something for you. This comprehensive guide walks readers through the sport's core statistical categories, and then demonstrates how to use this data to truly understand baseball. Statistical analysis, data mining, probability, forecasting, and other valuable tools are examined.

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    It's good, but peppered with mistakes. Mistakes that if you are not fluent with the systems will cause one to waste time figuring it out on ones own. But it is indeed VERY important book for anyone wanting to get and make use of baseball data of all forms.
    I have the Ipod & the Excel one, and the baseball one definitely caught my eye.

I'll have to pick it up and give it a whirl. After I do we'll see what comes up. Hopefully someone else reading this forum has picked this up and can answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I have the Ipod & the Excel one, and the baseball one definitely caught my eye.

I'll have to pick it up and give it a whirl. After I do we'll see what comes up. Hopefully someone else reading this forum has picked this up and can answer your question.
    I'll bump this thread/

I have it and use it. What problems are you having?

I set this stats query site up based on some of the information in the book. Was looking at pulling real time data from the available sources mentioned in the book, but never got around to it. I also want to build in some regex stuff into the play by play data available from retrosheet. Maybe I'll get the urge this offseason.
    http://stats.baseball-wiki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    I have it and use it. What problems are you having?
    och, a few, i'll get back to you later with them.

Turn Off Ads?