Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A slightly different approach to Dunn

A slightly different approach to Dunn

Pretend that Adam Dunn is a free agent this year. Assume that he has no predispotion to play for a given team, be it Reds, Astros, or otherwise. It's all about the benjamins.

1.) What deal would you offer?
    2.) What is the best deal you think he'd get (and from whom)?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A slightly different approach to Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Pretend that Adam Dunn is a free agent this year. Assume that he has no predispotion to play for a given team, be it Reds, Astros, or otherwise. It's all about the benjamins.

1.) What deal would you offer?
    2.) What is the best deal you think he'd get (and from whom)?
    I'd offer him 3 years, $27 million, and throw in some bonuses for winning the home run title or something similar.

Since I think that'd be a fair deal for him, it's hard to imagine what he *could* get, since different teams value different things. I could see a team stocked with high average hitters, but who lacks a dominant power threat in the lineup, pursuing him and offering him more. Something in the realm of $10-$12 million a year wouldn't be out of the question for a consistent 40 homer guy who is entering his prime years.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Well here is another question that I don't know has been discussed too much yet and that is whether the Reds should exercise the 2008 option on Dunn.
    When Dunn signed his contract this spring he got salaries of $7.5 million for this season and $10.5 million for 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000. I am on the fence and obviously would depend on the trade options, Bruce's and Stubbs' development etc. In terms of his contract, the numbers are similar to Sexson who has always struck me as being a guide for Dunn's value though always a couple of years older. If Dunn performs at a similar level in early '07 to his performance this year, should the Reds pick up his option for '08?
    Last edited by klw; 09-29-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Would you trade Dunn for Berkman? curious

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    I would.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Who wouldn't?

Berkman is second only to Pujols in the NL.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I like Dunn but I know he could never play centerfield for any stretch of time like Berk did.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

In a heartbeat.

.....and I'd drive Dunn to the airport.

Dunn is my favorite player but I would trade him for Berkman in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Who wouldn't?

Berkman is second only to Pujols in the NL.
    What happened to Howard? Did he just get traded to the AL? Soriano would probably enter into that discussion based upon his 2006 season.

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    What happened to Howard? Did he just get traded to the AL? Soriano would probably enter into that discussion based upon his 2006 season.
    I think i'd need to see another season similar to 2006 from each of them to place them on the same plane as Pujols or Berkman. Although, I will say that Soriano putting up the power numbers that he has this season while playing in the MLB equivalent of the Grand Canyon is beyond impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I think i'd need to see another season similar to 2006 from each of them to place them on the same plane as Pujols or Berkman. Although, I will say that Soriano putting up the power numbers that he has this season while playing in the MLB equivalent of the Grand Canyon is beyond impressive.
    Soriano I agree with, I would like to see another season like this from him. But what has Howard done not to deserve these comparisons? He is almost 5 years younger than Berkman. He has not played for 1.5 seasons and both have been better than anything Berkman has ever done. Pitchers fear Howard more than Berkman (and even Pujols ??). The power is incomparable. IMO, Howard is in a class above Berkman, even this early in his career.

What are the odds that the season ends and we find out that Dunn has been playing with some undisclosed injury so as to justify his 2nd half performance?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    Soriano I agree with, I would like to see another season like this from him. But what has Howard done not to deserve these comparisons? He is almost 5 years younger than Berkman. He has not played for 1.5 seasons and both have been better than anything Berkman has ever done. Pitchers fear Howard more than Berkman (and even Pujols ??). The power is incomparable. IMO, Howard is in a class above Berkman, even this early in his career.
    Howard is not as young as some people think he may be--he is, in fact, the same age as Dunn, who has been in the majors three years longer than Howard.

I'm certainly not knocking Howard, he's having an unbelieveable season and I'd be more than happy to have him on the Reds. But Berkman and Pujols have consistently produced season after season after season. If Howard comes back next year and even approaches what he has done this year, I'll happily elevate him to the same status as each of them. But I'm not prepared to do that with Howard quite yet.

Turn Off Ads?