Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty going out in ablaze of glory

Dusty going out in ablaze of glory

... in a meaningless game 2 days from the end of the season he allows Zambrano to throw 128 pitches.
    Last edited by flyer85; 09-29-2006 at 05:02 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty going out in ablaze of glory

Good for Dusty.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Way to show 'em, Dusty. Do the thing for which you've been most criticized because that sure as heck won't have ramifications for the team you're leaving behind. I'm sure Zambrano will thank you in a couple of years.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I feel bad for Zambrano, but this is a funny thread.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Truly speaks volumes about Dusty for any future employer of him in regards to baseball don't you think?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Zambrano is in the running for the Cy Young, I'm sure that had something to do with keeping him out there that long.

You tell em Dusty,don't let them tell you how to prolong a starting pitcher in the major leagues.By the way Livan Hernandez says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Zambrano is in the running for the Cy Young, I'm sure that had something to do with keeping him out there that long.
    Oh, I have no doubt that had a whole lot to do with it. That doesn't make it any less stupid in my opinion.

Poor Dusty, if his pitchers could just throw 200 effective pitches per start he wouldn't be getting fired.
    Go Gators!

I continue to wonder about pitch counts and all that. I just looked at Gibson's stats and he had about seven seasons where he had over 20 complete games, pitching; nine seasons with over 250 innings (including two over 300). That's a lot of pitching. It may be wrong, but I think there's a school of thought that guys can be stretching it out more with the right training. Didn't somebody mention Maloney pitching 16 innings in 1964?

Dusty is an idiot.

Whichever GM next gives him a job managing a MLB team should be whacked upside their head.

EDIT: That being said, I do think the Cubs should give the guy one more season to 'turn things around.'
    Last edited by WMR; 09-29-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Boy, you guys are brutal. Here's a guy pitching for the Cy Young, you have to give him every opportunity to get him as many quality innings you can and the chance for a win in his last start. Zambrano missed two starts a few weeks ago so it isn't like he's been abused this month. A Cy Young can be a big bargaining chip for a pitcher when it comes to his next contract.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I continue to wonder about pitch counts and all that. I just looked at Gibson's stats and he had about seven seasons where he had over 20 complete games, pitching; nine seasons with over 250 innings (including two over 300). That's a lot of pitching. It may be wrong, but I think there's a school of thought that guys can be stretching it out more with the right training. Didn't somebody mention Maloney pitching 16 innings in 1964?
    A couple of things have changed since then.

One of the major changes that happened in 1969 was the lowering of the pitcher's mound. Pitchers had less of a downward plane to work with, so the angles of their pitches were changed in favor of the hitter. Their pitches became easier to hit, which led to an increase in offensive production.

Another major change that has happened over the years is the contraction of the strike zone, especially with the enforcement of the rules through QuesTec. The umpires were given less subjectivity in calling strikes, so their zones gradually became smaller and smaller. Various other factors have contributed to this tightening, but the fact remains that it's much harder to get borderline pitches called strikes today than it was even 10 years ago.

Finally, MLB gradually stepped up enforcement of inside pitches and HBPs. Pitchers who once were able to throw inside on hitters at will suddenly found themselves in hot water when they hit guys, be it accidental or not. This gave hitters more freedom in crowding the plate (see: Bonds, Biggio, etc) since they knew pitchers were more likely to throw pitches on the outer half of the plate. Taking away that part of the plate really restricted pitchers.

The bottom line isn't necessarily that pitchers are not as healthy or that the current era of baseball coddles pitchers way more than they used to (although, you can make some good arguments on those points). What it boils down to is the fact that pitchers are throwing a lot more pitches per inning than they used to. Bob Gibson may have thrown over 304 IP in 1968, but he in all likelihood threw less pitches in doing so than a number of pitchers do in a season today.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Boy, you guys are brutal. Here's a guy pitching for the Cy Young, you have to give him every opportunity to get him as many quality innings you can and the chance for a win in his last start. Zambrano missed two starts a few weeks ago so it isn't like he's been abused this month. A Cy Young can be a big bargaining chip for a pitcher when it comes to his next contract.
    He was hurt but a few weeks ago, back problems, he was not supposed to pitch until the Thursday after the Reds were in Chicago and yet he pitched that Sunday game against Cincinnati -- ostensibly for the same Cy Young-based reason. I think that merits worry, or at least caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One View Post
    A couple of things have changed since then.

One of the major changes that happened in 1969 was the lowering of the pitcher's mound. Pitchers had less of a downward plane to work with, so the angles of their pitches were changed in favor of the hitter. Their pitches became easier to hit, which led to an increase in offensive production.

Another major change that has happened over the years is the contraction of the strike zone, especially with the enforcement of the rules through QuesTec. The umpires were given less subjectivity in calling strikes, so their zones gradually became smaller and smaller. Various other factors have contributed to this tightening, but the fact remains that it's much harder to get borderline pitches called strikes today than it was even 10 years ago.

Finally, MLB gradually stepped up enforcement of inside pitches and HBPs. Pitchers who once were able to throw inside on hitters at will suddenly found themselves in hot water when they hit guys, be it accidental or not. This gave hitters more freedom in crowding the plate (see: Bonds, Biggio, etc) since they knew pitchers were more likely to throw pitches on the outer half of the plate. Taking away that part of the plate really restricted pitchers.

The bottom line isn't necessarily that pitchers are not as healthy or that the current era of baseball coddles pitchers way more than they used to (although, you can make some good arguments on those points). What it boils down to is the fact that pitchers are throwing a lot more pitches per inning than they used to. Bob Gibson may have thrown over 304 IP in 1968, but he in all likelihood threw less pitches in doing so than a number of pitchers do in a season today.
    very good points.

also walks are a lot more emphasized then they were even 20 years ago, and as a result more hitters are sitting back waiting on their pitch.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?