Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

W.Va. HS back 658 yards, but likely didn't set record

DELBARTON, W.Va. -- Paul McCoy ran for 658 yards in a high school football game and, believe it or not, might not have set a national record with his feat.

The total tops the National Federation of State High School Association's listed record of 619 yards set by Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard, Calif., in 1995. But high school records historian Doug Huff said Saturday the recognized record is 739 yards by John Giannantonio of Netcong, N.J., in 1950, against Mountain Lakes.

McCoy piled up his yardage on just 29 carries -- an average of 22.7 yards per attempt -- and scored 10 touchdowns as Matewan beat Burch 64-0 on Friday. McCoy racked up 477 of his yards scoring on TD runs of runs, which covered 69, 1, 52, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards.

He also had a 77-yard TD run called back because of a penalty.

"The National Federation book for some reason does not include that [the 739 yards], and I think the reason is there's a formal process for submitting those things," Huff said Saturday. "This school doesn't exist anymore. The papers recognized it. The school had a special ceremony. It's been in my records for years."

McCoy did set a state record with his 658 yards, and his 10 TDs would tie him with two others for the second most nationally. The record is 12, set by Ken Pearson of Hugo, Colo., in 1930.

McCoy, averaging 345 yards per game, has 1,723 yards and 26 touchdowns this season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

Matewan coach Yogi Kinder defended his decision to keep McCoy in the game. According to Huntington, WV's "The Herald-Dispatch," Kinder said: "Why should there be any guilty feelings? Our school's smaller than they are. Why should I punish my kids for having a good team? We were going to score 60 points if Paul doesn't even get on the bus."
    McCoy deserves credit for a remarkable game, but his game totals were obviously "padded" by keeping him in the game long after the issue was decided.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

So.... a coach named Yogi, who says he didn't commit a Boo-Boo by keeping the kid in there.

Is this kid then the "Real" McCoy?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

So now I know two things about the town of Matewan. 1. They kill union organizers. 2. They run up the score.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    So now I know two things about the town of Matewan. 1. They kill union organizers. 2. They run up the score.
    Here's a third. I graduated from Matewan High School, and played football with Yogi Kinder.

People who knew him back in the day wouldn't be surprised with any character issues that might come up. Since this is a public forum, I won't go into any details, but he's a scumbag of the highest order.

And the Matewan Massacre, subject of John Sayles' great film "Matewan", was about the mine operators bringing in Baldwin-Felts enforcers to rub out the union organizers. The locals are as pro-union as any place on earth.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

got alil captain in u?

they failed to mentin the team they played had 14 kids

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post

And the Matewan Massacre, subject of John Sayles' great film "Matewan", was about the mine operators bringing in Baldwin-Felts enforcers to rub out the union organizers. The locals are as pro-union as any place on earth.
    Yep. I wouldn't advise anyone going to Matewan and making negative comments about the United Mine Workers union.
    I graduated from Wayne High. We never played Matewan, but we used to easily defeat Burch in football. We haven't played the Burch Bulldogs in years, so I assume the high school now has a very small enrollment.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Defense!

If I'm not mistaken, Al Bundy had that many yards in one game.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Al Bundy had that many yards in one game.

I know Al Bundy; Al Bundy is a friend of mine; that kid from Matewan is no Al Bundy.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Here's a third. I graduated from Matewan High School, and played football with Yogi Kinder.

People who knew him back in the day wouldn't be surprised with any character issues that might come up. Since this is a public forum, I won't go into any details, but he's a scumbag of the highest order.

I saw Matewan, but misspoke. I probably should have said "union organizers get killed there" rather than "THEY kill union organizers." My bad.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I saw Matewan, but misspoke. I probably should have said "union organizers get killed there" rather than "THEY kill union organizers." My bad.
    IIRC, it was the Baldwin-Felts crew(not the locals) that came out on the short end of the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    [b] McCoy racked up 477 of his yards scoring on TD runs of runs, which covered 69, 1, 52, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards.
    Dang! That one-yard TD run killed his average.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Lou Tilley, Comcast-Philly studio man, anchored SNY's Saturday "SportsNite." As his kicker, he pointed to a Matewan HS (W.Va.) kid who Friday rushed for 658 yards and 10 TDs in a 64-0 win. Tilley thought that was great!

Of course, his kid didn't play for Burch, the other team. And his kid wasn't a backup RB who practiced all week only to watch a teammate score 10 TDs.

And Tilley didn't tell us that the kid who was allowed to score 10 TDs was also allowed to go the whole way, scoring two late TDs in a 64-0 win for Matewan, now 5-0. Or that the same kid, two weeks ago, scored six TDs and three two-point conversions in a 66-16 game. Or that Burch, now 0-5, has been outscored 30-263.

Yesterday on "SportsCenter," where unqualified stats are always welcome, anchors Josh Elliott and Chris McKendry were equally delighted by the kid's numbers. "We're impressed," cooed McKendry.

The National High School Record Book, loaded with kick-em-when-they're-down achievements, should also identify those media folks who indulge, excuse and even applaud - thus help fuel - the abuse of sports and the children who play them.
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.htm

And his kid wasn't a backup RB who practiced all week only to watch a teammate score 10 TDs.
    That's BS, and I from what I've read about football for 6-8 years olds that is where it gestates.

Turn Off Ads?