Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

When I first heard of this I was not impressed. I was disgusted. If the game was a close one or even w/in 20-points, I'd be impressed. The final score made it even more disgusting. The coach is obviously a scumbag and thanks to '62 for pointing it out from knowing the scumbag. The caoch should be proud of himself and kick an injured animal after it got hit by a car.

Since we are all "baseball types" I put this as an equivalent to stealing 2nd-base when ahead by 20 runs. Not ahead by 7 runs or even 10 runs. Ahead by 20 runs. The coach is a loser who should not be allowed to teach his (lack of) morals or ethics to the youth of his community. Although I am sure there are a lot of parents in his area of the world who think he is great (b/c of their undefeated record)... and that is sad too.

:thumbdown
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 10-02-2006 at 01:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That NY Post bit is about as whiny a piece of crap as could possibly be written. This isn't some coach throwing bombs with 2 minutes left and running up the score. It's handing the ball off at the team's own 40 and some kid breaking it a few times. Here's a tip, if you don't want to give up 60 points, try making a tackle on occasion.

You sound like the Fabulous Sports Babe.

Hopefully don't look like her.

It was a 60 point game and your suggestion is that team down by 60 should tackle better? Thanks Doctor Football.

Obvioulsy the kid who has scored 16 TDs in two games is pretty good. He shouldn't be in the game, I think that is the point. If the other team can't tackle, let some kid who has no chance to gain a yard against another team, score a TD.

Hopefully he'll blow out his knee the next time the coach wants to run it up and we'll see what your advice is then. Maybe you'll suggest better off season training or some other insensitive remark.

And why would you be throwing bombs when your back can go the distance? Its running it up, either way. Otherwise your saying teams with strong run games don't have the ability to lay off some, by say, going with some back-ups for instance. I don't see how a lack of hail marry's is anything to write home about. 64-0 is 64-0, passing or running. And it is quite clear when the same kid has 16 TDs in two games that SOMETHING could have been done.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 10-02-2006 at 01:46 PM.

I would hope the losing team would use the butt-kicking as incentive to get better. If not, then real life will likely get to teach them the lesson at a later date. It's a very competitive business world out there where your opponents will take every opportunity to not just win, but bury you.

There are high school kids not little children. I remember being on the losing end of some serious spankings and wallowing in self-pity because the opponent ran up the score will result in nothing productive.
    Last edited by flyer85; 10-02-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    You sound like the Fabulous Sports Babe.

Hopefully don't look like her.

It was a 60 point game and your suggestion is that team down by 60 should tackle better? Thanks Doctor Football.

Obvioulsy the kid who has scored 16 TDs in two games is pretty good. He shouldn't be in the game, I think that is the point. If the other team can't tackle, let some kid who has no chance to gain a yard against another team, score a TD.

Hopefully he'll blow out his knee the next time the coach wants to run it up and we'll see what your advice is then. Maybe you'll suggest better off season training or some other insensitive remark.

And why would you be throwing bombs when your back can go the distance? Its running it up, either way. Otherwise your saying teams with strong run games don't have the ability to lay off some, by say, going with some back-ups for instance. I don't see how a lack of hail marry's is anything to write home about. 64-0 is 64-0, passing or running. And it is quite clear when the same kid has 16 TDs in two games that SOMETHING could have been done.
    1. I have no clue who the Fabulous Sports Babe is (though something tells me I don't want to).

2. You've got a kid sitting on something like 500 yards. I doubt the coach knows the exact national record total off the top of his head, but common sense tells you you've got to be close. Why not allow him to do something special? He'll likely never have a game like that again, so let him go for it. It would be easier to pull him from a game where he had 300 yards late than 500, odd as that sounds. 300 is great, but it's nowhere near a record. At 500, you've got to see what you can do.

3. How is letting some backup score a couple of TDs any better? 64-0 is 64-0. It's not as much of a run up because the TDs were scored by different players? Or would you prefer the coach to kneel on the ball the entire 4th quarter and totally insult the other team?

4. Did you really just root for a high school kid to get hurt? You stay classy, pal.

Running the ball runs the clock out. Not really his fault that the kid scores a TD on every carry (pretty much)

I'm not interested in running the score up as much as I'm interested in how good this guy might be. Next Reggie Bush?

For a Level Playing Field

You can also run out the clock with a 3rd-stringer or by having your nose tackle become the new running back. I think it is obvious what the coach was doing. Teaching humility takes a bigger man than teaching how to win a national record. Obviously their coach is not a bigger man.

Maybe Reggie Bush had the same sort of HS coach? Maybe this is why Reggie and his family took suits, free hotel tabs and condos while Reggie was in college?

Right way, wrong way... they teach all kinds of things.

I have found that it is life experiences that make one humble(like being on the losing end of the score) and not by having a coach call off the dogs(although it is likely the reason a coach does it). That tends to cater to a false humulity in the players. True humulity is only developed by spending time on both sides of the fence and then extending compassion to those on the short side.

Last edited by RFS62; 10-02-2006 at 06:02 PM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I can't fathom a valid reason for a 1st string kid to be in playing in the 4th quarter of 64-0 high school game. Zip, nil, nada.

If the score gets run up because a 3rd or 4th stringer runs one up the gut for a TD, then so be it.

In games like that, you empty the bench and let the kids play who normally don't get to play. You'll strengthen your team by developing some real PT depth, you'll save your 1st stringers from possible unnecessary injury, you'll give some kids some good memories, and it will be the best thing overall for the team. And oh yeah, it's good sportsmanship. Once a team is completely buried, I can't think of any good that comes out of rubbing their noses in it further. Enough is enough.

I don't understand how letting this kid run wild can be defended.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    I have found that it is life experiences that make one humble(like being on the losing end of the score) and not by having a coach call off the dogs(although it is likely the reason a coach does it). That tends to cater to a false humulity in the players.

They call off the dogs in D1 college football and they call off the dogs in the pros. How can anyone justify NOT calling them off in high school when one team is obviously overmatched.

Do you honestly think anyone walked away from that game feeling as though the losing team learned some valuable lesson? Other than the lesson RFS62 is giving us, that is?

The same kid scored 10 freaking touchdowns. Save the excuse that it isn't the coaches fault he scored every time for someone who might buy it.

How about when it is 43-0 with a quarter to play, you give the ball to someone else?

That is what Jim Tressell, Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel, Kirk Ferentz, Bill Parcells, Vince Lombardi and 99.9% of every other football coach in the world would do.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    T They call off the dogs in D1 college football and they call off the dogs in the pros
    you obviously have not seen Texas Tech. I remember when Sam Wyche intentionally ran up the score on Glanvilles Oilers in the 80's. The Bengals kept trying to score until the final whistle and won by like 63-7 IIRC. Sam had even announced he would do it given the chance before the game.

I am not defending the coach for running up the score. I wouldn't do it but if he wants to that's his business. Running up the score is generally not a classy move but it happens and it generally reflects poorly on the offending coach.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You can also run out the clock with a 3rd-stringer or by having your nose tackle become the new running back. I think it is obvious what the coach was doing. Teaching humility takes a bigger man than teaching how to win a national record. Obviously their coach is not a bigger man.
    What all of you are saying is total bull----

Hey war is war and football is football and to qoute General William Tecumseh Sherman is "not popularity seeking."

A coach doesn't run up a score, that is the kind of thing a sore loser or a wuss would say. I agree with the one post about tackling people if you don't want to give up that many points. I know many people from the Matewan area and screw all of you that think the coaching staff is scum. That kid deserves the attention he got from ESPN.

The game is played for x number of minutes and you give it your all no matter what. Screw this good image bull, maybe if the Reds hadn't been so concerned with fatsoes like Sean Casey they would have had better success in the past few years. You think Pete Rose cared about a good guy image?

I didn't realize the kid was 5'7 160 lbs...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Running the ball runs the clock out. Not really his fault that the kid scores a TD on every carry (pretty much)

I'm not interested in running the score up as much as I'm interested in how good this guy might be. Next Reggie Bush?

I hav'nt watched the kid play but I get the newspapper that covers this team.The kid can FLATOUT play.All of his games so far he has run over 150 yards to 200 except for one I think.He is simply amazing!!!!

As far as the coach goes I don't know him personally but I have heard the Burch coach talk and it was'nt good.Everytime he opened his mouth last year he was saying how bad his team was going to beat their opponent or Our opponent might as well stay home b/c they can't beat us.The last one was were he said that Lincoln county teams an't good enough to beat us and we will give them all loss's.This was all said in a paper were people could read it!! They lost ALL FOUR games last year to the four lincoln county teams lol.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?