Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

Re: Running Wild: High School RB Has 658 Yds/Game

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    if you haven't learned honor and fair play at home by high school age I don't think a football game is going to teach you much.
    It depends on what your home life is like. For some high school athletes their coaches and teachers are the only decent adult role models they have. This whole macho and war mentality is great when you're carrying an M-16 but it shouldn't be given out to teenagers who most likely are not going to be playing football after high school. That is where the teaching about commitment, respect, and hard work should be coming in. Because you know what? The coach who is teaching that war mentality crap will go over to the other side if the other school gives him a sweet enough deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

if you haven't learned honor and fair play at home by high school age I don't think a football game is going to teach you much.
    because every parent is Ozzie and Harriet.

School is as much about how to become an adult as it is the three R's.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    School is as much about how to become an adult as it is the three R's.
    which is why are school systems are in such terrible shape.

ridiculous.

not all public schools are in terrible shape. and one has nothing to do with the other. mis-management of funds, inner city schools where parents work 2, sometimes thee jobs and have no time for their kids, or worse the ones that don't care and don't work, setting this example for their next generation.

teachers teaching values is a bad thing?

ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    teachers teaching values is a bad thing?

ridiculous.
    not getting them at home is a bad thing. Hoping that a high school football coach can overcome what hasn't been learned in the first 16 years is an uphill battle.

The point is by the time you get to the high school level the "winning is everything" mentality is in charge.
    A high school football coach who teaches the right values and loses will soon be an unemployed high school football coach in most places.

And a high school football coach who wins and teaches the wrong lessons will likely be rewarded.

And those are messages the kids get loud and clear.
    Last edited by flyer85; 10-04-2006 at 04:26 PM.

alot of crazy stuff happens in sports though... you see all the time about crazy come backs when teams get a huge lead and then lose their momentimum

You've made that obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    alot of crazy stuff happens in sports though... you see all the time about crazy come backs when teams get a huge lead and then lose their momentimum
    How many teams have lost their momentum after one individual scores 8 TDs and at a minimum the score is 48-0?

Your telling me, you honestly believe part of the reason the kid was or should have been in that game at that point, after 8 TDs was becuause of your crazy stuff happens in sports rationale?

After the next TD the score was at least 56-0. But send him back out for another. Heck, you never know what might happen in this crazy world of sports. I think I saw four, maybe five 58 point rallies just last weekend.

not getting them at home is a bad thing. Hoping that a high school football coach can overcome what hasn't been learned in the first 16 years is an uphill battle.

The point is by the time you get to the high school level the "winning is everything" mentality is in charge.
    A high school football coach who teaches the right values and loses will soon be an unemployed high school football coach in most places.

And a high school football coach who wins and teaches the wrong lessons will likely be rewarded.

And those are messages the kids get loud and clear.
    And if life were lived in a vacuum you'd be right. But teachers have a lot of influence over the type of adult you become. Teachers have our children for 7-8 hours a day, and by high school, that can stretch to 10 hours. My son is at school at 8:00 in the morning and leaves at 5:00. every day. I see him for an hour in the morning, and about 2-3 hours at night.

His teachers have a ton of influence over him. They teach him not to cheat. They teach him not to be disruptive in class. They teach him to follow rules. Now we have taught him these things too, but they help reinforce the idea.

Now you have a guy that says it's ok to beat on the weak. Did the backup RB get any PT? When they were up 40+ - 0 did the second stringers get the bulk of the playing time? By not playing them did he make his team better or just his W/L record? How very "me first" in a team dynamic. Great role model, and yes a HS Coach is a role model.

"And if life were lived in a vacuum you'd be right. But teachers have a lot of influence over the type of adult you become. Teachers have our children for 7-8 hours a day, and by high school, that can stretch to 10 hours. My son is at school at 8:00 in the morning and leaves at 5:00. every day. I see him for an hour in the morning, and about 2-3 hours at night."

I'll take that even further. I have two high school seniors at home and they both hold part time jobs. We have had all five members of the family at the table for a meal maybe three times in the last two months. Both of my older kids are good kids. They make their mistakes but they have come out all right but all it takes is one moron to undo everything. My daughter's karate coach is a HUGE influence and probably spends more time with her now 1 to 1 than I do and not by my choice. With kids her age asserting their independence from their parents that makes someone like her even more likely to be influenced by outside people, even if the parenting has been flawless.

I got no problem with a coach continuing to run his offense with a big lead. With a 64 point lead he needs to be running his offense with 3rd stringers. I think it is absurd that a coach would leave his best player in a game like this. There are players all over the country that could break this record, but the coaches won't let it happen.

This story was in the Washington Post on Friday. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100501978.html

Some background info on the game. I have very little respect for Yogi Kinder and the Matewan football team after reading this.

Good article KGJR30.

It's not the breaking of the record, or any record, that is the issue.... it's the INTENT behind it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don't blame Paul McCoy for getting 658 yards; I blame his coach for the tactics that allowed him to do it. Last Friday McCoy only had 81 yards in a 7-6 loss to Tug Valley, a school that went 0-10 last year.
    An article in Huntington's The Hearld-Dispatch this morning noted that while "McCoy is well on his way to breaking the West Virginia single-season rushing record, until he rushes for 100 yards against a decent team he's as doubtful to win the Kennedy Award [given to W. Va.'s top football player] as Terrell Owens is to kiss and make up with Donovan McNabb."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

After reading that article, I find that Matewan's actions were despicable. The whole team should be embarrassed. There is simply no excuse for humiliation of that kind at that level.

It's Hell week here in Amarillo. Biggest rivalry in town, Amarillo High vs. Tascosa High. THS has the better team this year, and the kids and fans will be screaming for the team to run up the score if they can. But if this game is in hand by the end third quarter, I do know we'll see the starters rested. If AHS crawls back into it, We'll see the starters back out there.

It's about character. Having it and teaching it.

Turn Off Ads?