Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Where does Homer begin 2007?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • AA

10 7.52%
  • AAA

102 76.69%
  • MLB

20 15.04%
  • On another team

1 0.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What level does Homer start next year?

What level does Homer start next year?

Go.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: What level does Homer start next year?

He'll start at AAA, but he won't be there long, I wouldn't think.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

AAA

Plan your staff like he's not going to be there; ie- bring in a FA pitcher, a #2-3 type to add to Harang and Arroyo.

If Homer's tearing it up again, or if (when) someone goes down, bring him up in May or early June. Because I think he'll struggle a little bit right away, but having most of the season in front of him will give him time to get settled and adjust.

By the end of 2007, he's at least the Reds #3 starter, IMO.

Krivsky said in the booth the other night that he'll probably start in Louisville... he feels AAA is very important in a player's development.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Meet your opening day starter: HOMER BAILEY!

Nah, I chose AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Man Pills

I couldn't possibly care less if he's not with the big club, where he should be. He can be washing cars for all I care. He's got nothing to learn at AAA or AA.

No reasone to start his arbitration clock, leave him in the minors for atleast 2 more years.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    No reasone to start his arbitration clock, leave him in the minors for atleast 2 more years.
    Sounds like old management....

I don't think that's an issue anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Sounds like old management....

I don't think that's an issue anymore
    I was being stupid, like I am often. I think that David would be great as the 4th starter next year but it sounds like from Krivsky that unless he is lights out in the spring that he will start the season at AAA.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I couldn't possibly care less if he's not with the big club, where he should be. He can be washing cars for all I care. He's got nothing to learn at AAA or AA.
    That is not what his coaches say at AA. While they believe he is the "real deal", the areas where he still needs work is with his change-up and breaking ball (especially vs lefties).

I believe they'll start him at AAA, and go from there.

But success at AA, and vs AA hitting is not a guarantee of success vs ML level hitting. Big difference IMO.

He'll be up here soon enough.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

It all depends on how he pitches in Spring Training. Jerry wanted him called up this year. K would have a hard time telling Jerry "no" again if Homer kicks butt in Florida.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Except that whole pesky third pitch thing.

If his change is down, then he should start the year at AAA and get proficient at working deeper into ballgames and retiring better hitters. AAA would be a tune-up stop for him where he can get some experience facing guys with ML service time before making the jump up to the show.

If his change isn't down, then he needs to repeat AA and learn to throw it for strikes. He can't get by as a big-league starter with just two pitches -- he'll kill his arm trying to put everything on his fastball if he thinks that is the only weapon he has against hitters.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post

Yeah, let's make sure the intriguing 3-man rotation anchor window of Harang + Arroyo + Homer can't ever happen. let him miss out on learning from two workhorses that get almost max results for their talents.

I'd like to see another 8-10 Michalak starts down the stretch drive in 2007...

Barring unforeseen derailing, Homer ought to be up with the club by Memorial Day at the lastest and in the rotation starting after July 4th...

He will start in AAA, me thinks.
    I think they will keep him pretty late during Spring Training, unless he gets absolutely bombed. Of course in doing so, that will bring many to assume he is going north with the big club - until he is sent down the last week, or so.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Except that whole pesky third pitch thing.

If his change is down, then he should start the year at AAA and get proficient at working deeper into ballgames and retiring better hitters. AAA would be a tune-up stop for him where he can get some experience facing guys with ML service time before making the jump up to the show.

If his change isn't down, then he needs to repeat AA and learn to throw it for strikes. He can't get by as a big-league starter with just two pitches -- he'll kill his arm trying to put everything on his fastball if he thinks that is the only weapon he has against hitters.
    He'll dominate AAA. And he'll still not have worked out his third pitch. That's just more mileage on his arm that the Reds aren't seeing the benefit of. Now if the idea is to leave him at AAA to send his trade value to the roof, then sign me up. Otherwise, this organization is just putting mileage on an arm that could be used on the big team. Use him or trade him.

Turn Off Ads?