Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Where does Homer begin 2007?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • AA

10 7.52%
  • AAA

102 76.69%
  • MLB

20 15.04%
  • On another team

1 0.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What level does Homer start next year?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: What level does Homer start next year?

If ST is the determining factor, he'll be in Cincinnati come April.

The first few weeks of ST the competition is AA and AAA anyway, so he shouldn't have any problems with that. Once he does that...it will be difficult to leave him behind (partcularly if he has been promised a shot).

That doesn't mean he'll dominate with the Reds, though (hope he does).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I couldn't possibly care less if he's not with the big club, where he should be. He can be washing cars for all I care. He's got nothing to learn at AAA or AA.
    Stamina, third pitch, being effective by lowering his pitch count, finding some way to pitch into the 7th inning.

Those might be good to learn in the minor leagues. I vote AA. He needs to be as dominant as he was, but pitching deeper into the game. AA is a good place to do that.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Stamina, third pitch, being effective by lowering his pitch count, finding some way to pitch into the 7th inning.
    if that was the qualification a bunch of Marlins pitchers would not have spent time at the major league level in 2006. Instead they showed they could hone their craft and still be effective while helping the team win.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    if that was the qualification a bunch of Marlins pitchers would not have spent time at the major league level in 2006. Instead they showed they could hone their craft and still be effective while helping the team win.
    I'd rather the Reds use soft tossing veterans that lack an out pitch over youngsters with upside.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He'll dominate AAA. And he'll still not have worked out his third pitch. That's just more mileage on his arm that the Reds aren't seeing the benefit of. Now if the idea is to leave him at AAA to send his trade value to the roof, then sign me up. Otherwise, this organization is just putting mileage on an arm that could be used on the big team. Use him or trade him.
    If he can't throw a third pitch, then the franchise needs to jettison him now while he still has value as a starter.

End of story.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If he can't throw a third pitch, then the franchise needs to jettison him now while he still has value as a starter.

End of story.

Or he can hone it at the MLB level.

I'm much more worried about the longevity of his arm than I am his ability to develop a third pitch. Get some mileage out of his arm. Don't let him have TJ surgery following a pitch to Donnie Sadler; let him do it against Scott Rolen.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

End of story.
    Not only is he a two pitch wonder, he's a two pitch wonder that can't consistently throw them for strikes.

I agree, we should entertain offers for young Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Not only is he a two pitch wonder, he's a two pitch wonder that can't consistently throw them for strikes.

I agree, we should entertain offers for young Bailey.
    He can't throw them for strikes? Sure he can. His fastball pretty much was under control the entire season. His curveball was pretty darn close by the late summer. Those are the 2 basic elements of a pitcher like Bailey, you don't need much else at this stage of his career. The changeup is for when he gets older and tones down his speed. Finish honing his curve into a strike throwing machine, you thus have no issues.

Double AA I hope at this time I truly do not see the need to David Clyde him. Let him start in dbl aa and progress as the season goes.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    Honestly, there is no comparison to the Marlins. First, their farm is STOCKED with high ceiling pitching prospects. The Reds have Bailey, Cueto and Wood. Maybe you add LeCure to that list. All four of those guys started at high A or lower this year.

Second, the Marlins slashed payroll to the extreme. A 15 million dollar payroll. Really, other than Willis, who is under contract, the Fish didn't want a name FA pitcher.

The starters for the Fish persevered despite the fact they were likely rushed a bit, not because of it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    He can't throw them for strikes? Sure he can. His fastball pretty much was under control the entire season. His curveball was pretty darn close by the late summer. Those are the 2 basic elements of a pitcher like Bailey, you don't need much else at this stage of his career. The changeup is for when he gets older and tones down his speed. Finish honing his curve into a strike throwing machine, you thus have no issues.
    Bailey has a deadly love for his fastball.

Your statement about his curveball asserts that he had no consistency over the course of the season. He had success at the end, and marginal at that.

By only being a 2 pitch guy, you limit your out chances, and you increase the chances for the other team to know what's coming with each delivery. 50-50 chance it's either fastball or curveball. I like those odds, as a MLB hitter.

Give him a 3rd pitch, let him turn one of the 3 into a true out pitch, and we might actually have something with this kid.

It's not only about throwing pitches for strikes, but rather throwing the pitches where you want them.

Bailey reminds me a lot of the young Prior. Great fastball over which he has command and a hammer curve ball and no third pitch. But then again when you have a 97MPH and a buckling curve ball, throwing the batter a third pitch is generally doing them a big favor.

Bailey easily handled what is considered the toughest jump in minor league baseball(A to AA).

Does he need a more seasoning? probably.

However, the Reds are very unlikely to have a better option for the 5th starter than Bailey going in to the 2007 season.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Your statement about his curveball asserts that he had no consistency over the course of the season. He had success at the end, and marginal at that.

By only being a 2 pitch guy, you limit your out chances, and you increase the chances for the other team to know what's coming with each delivery. 50-50 chance it's either fastball or curveball. I like those odds, as a MLB hitter.

Give him a 3rd pitch, let him turn one of the 3 into a true out pitch, and we might actually have something with this kid.

It's not only about throwing pitches for strikes, but rather throwing the pitches where you want them.
    Give me a consistant hammer curve instead. The 3rd pitch is a slow, but steady progress, but not overly required for Bailey's present progress. That is the curve.

That's a myth. Most major league pitchers don't throw their third pitch enough to really make a difference. Harang and Arroyo on this team give you a perfect example of that.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?